Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Another version of McLintock - good news and bad news...

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I just picked up a different (new) DVD version of John Wayne's McLintock and it's a big improvement over the horrible Goodtimes version, but...

While it is widescreen, and while it is much cleaner than the Goodtimes version there are some problems. What problems? Well, most annoyingly the image is "squeezed" so that everyone and everything is just a bit taller and thinner than they should be. I've seen that many times with full frame movies (sometimes on TV, and even a couple on VHS), but only once or twice with a widescreen version. Count this as one more in that category.

The audio is particularly poor as well, as it sounds fairly muffled.

Still, all in all it is a big improvement over the horrible Goodtimes version. So who put it out? Believe it or not it was put out by "Movie Classics," one of those "dollar dvd's" that you would get at a ".99 cent" or "dollar store!" I was actually quite surprised to see it at all, and gave it a shot since it couldn't possibly have been any worse than the Goodtimes version. I was even more surprised to see that it was widescreen.

Now if only someone will put this thing out with the whole thing done right I'd be very happy. Hopefully the Wayne estate can get it done sooner rather than later.
Old 07-07-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Sounds like it is widescreen but non-anamorphic?
Old 07-07-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like I need to make a trip to the Dollar store today.

Thanks for the heads-up!!
Old 07-07-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Sounds like it is widescreen but non-anamorphic?
That is correct.

I still don't get why the image is squeezed, though....
Old 07-07-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rats...my local Dollar store was all out of McLintock. And to think, I had that very one (movie classics) in my hand a month ago, but I just assumed it was another lousy goodtimes-type release.
Old 07-07-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Falc04
Sounds like I need to make a trip to the Dollar store today.

Thanks for the heads-up!!
Ditto! But as B5Erik stated, I realllllly wish the Wayne estate would get it together and release a quality, authorized version.
Old 07-07-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=mclintock

Inside scoop is that Paramount has obtained the rights to THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY and the other Batjac pictures (ISLAND IN THE SKY, etc.) from the Wayne estate, although no formal announcement has been made yet. Expect a DVD release shortly....
I don't know how reliable this is; I haven't seen any other source.

McLintock! is public domain due to the Wayne estate failing to renew the copyright in the early 90s (whenever 28 years after the first release was). Paramount, mentioned in the linked thread, presumably has the best film elements for One Eyed Jacks, another movie (from around the same time) that is public domain because of a failure to renew the copyright. The PD status of these titles may hold up any "authorized" release because anyone (presumably) could copy the transfers and release their own version (I believe the best current DVD releases are sourced from the laserdisc release of OEJ that Paramount issued when they still had the copyright). Although this didn't stop Elite from releasing their excellent DVD "Millenium Edition" of Night of the Living Dead, notorious for its PD status. Or Criterion with Charade, My Man Godfrey, or The Third Man to mention a few that (I believe) are PD. Or Columbia/Sony with His Girl Friday.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 07-08-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-08-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for that link...interesting reading. I believe Paramount is also picking up the Artisan/Republic titles, and I have heard that they will be released a "fully-restored" version of The Quiet Man. I'm really looking forward to seeing that!