Marcel Pagnol's Fanny Trilogy - June 15

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 05:27 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcel Pagnol's Fanny Trilogy - June 15

Kino release. Retails at $79.95.

Details...

-"Author of the Trilogy" - A 74-minute original documentary about Marcel Pagnol's FANNY TRILOGY (2003, Color).

-Trailers for MARIUS, FANNY, CESAR.

-Audio Commentary by Marcel Pagnol for MARIUS (60 min), FANNY (18 min), and CESAR (10 min).
-A brand-mew Marcel Pagnol Biography

-Filmographies / Posters Gallery / Stills Gallery / Original

-Promotional Material

-In French w/ Optional English Subtitles AND ...

-AS A PRINTED BOOKLET ‹ An exclusive, original essay about Marcel Pagnol and the FANNY TRILOGY written by acclaimed French filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier (COUP DE TORCHON, SUNDAY IN THE COUNTRY, CAPITAINE CONAN).
Old 04-22-04, 07:44 PM

I have been anticipating this release since it was first announced in Kino's catalog. This set is based on one released in France last fall by CMF (which, oddly, is already OOP as far as I can tell). There is an extensive review (in French) of the CMF box set at dvdrama. I can't say that I'm wild about Kino's suggested retail price, but I'm hoping DDD or Digital Eyes (which seem to have the best prices on Kino discs) will offer it at a decent discount.

I am also hopeful that we'll eventually see a release of Pagnol's The Baker's Wife/La Femme du boulanger (1938), which is generally thought to be his best. Kino released this on VHS, so they may have the DVD rights as well.
Old 04-23-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonderful films, I hope the transfers do them justice.
Old 04-23-04, 11:45 AM

Official Press Release

KINO ON VIDEO TO RELEASE A RESTORED VERSION OF MARCEL PAGNOL'S FANNY TRILOGY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON DVD."

Kino on Video is proud to release for the first time on DVD and VHS an all-new restoration of Marcel Pagnol's THE FANNY TRILOGY. Considered "one of the most cherished love stories of the century" (American Film Magazine), THE FANNY TRILOGY can now be appreciated in a four-disc box set bringing all three feature films from the trilogy MARIUS(1931), FANNY (1932) and CÉSAR (1936) together with a fourth disc bringing a wide variety of special features including: a 74-minute documentary about the trilogy, 88 minutes of exclusive audio commentary by Marcel Pagnol, original theatrical trailers, and much more. Also included is an illustrated essay by French filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier (THE CLOCKMAKER, CAPITAINE CONAN) on Marcel Pagnol's oeuvre. THE FANNY TRILOGY DVD box set is priced at $79.95 and will be available to the general public on June 15th, 2004. The individual titles continue to be available on VHS at $29.95 each.

With the recent sound and picture cleanup supervised by the Pagnol family, the immense appeal of the world and characters of the French provinces can be again appreciated in its pristine original quality. Much like the great 1930s and 40s films of John Ford and Frank Capra, Pagnol's THE FANNY TRILOGY brought to the screen an entire set of previously unrepresented archetypes and astonished worldwide audiences and critics alike.

Perhaps best known for his FANNY TRILOGY, Pagnol originally wrote MARIUS, FANNY and CÉSAR for the stage. Each play ran a record-setting number of a thousand performances and were as popular as they were critically revered. This unexpected success allowed Pagnol to adapt his own material into screenplays and produce three feature films, each based on one of the plays. The Fanny Trilogy, also known as the Marseille Trilogy, was later adapted into a 1955 Broadway musical named 'FANNY' and into a memorable Hollywood film. Seen today as a seminal and highly influential love story, THE FANNY TRILOGY reflects Pagnol's love and curiosity for the less industrialized south of France; he was born in Provence in 1895. Bringing to the screen a fresh combination of unpretentious dialogue and a unique kind of romantic realism, Pagnol's cinema was seen during the 1930s as separate from the developing avant-garde French cinema, which experimented with sound, image and their possible connections with language and politics.

But even if Pagnol once claimed that cinema was merely "the art of imprinting, fixing and diffusing theatre," he inadvertently dethroned the high-drama‹and high-class‹subject matters common to 1920s French cinema by introducing a fresh look at the everyday activities of the working class. THE FANNY TRILOGY not only took Europe by storm but also brought Provence's market stalls and distinct French dialect to the forefront of the European art/cinema scene. Seventy years after MARIUS, FANNY and CÉSAR were originally released in theatres, THE FANNY TRILOGY DVD box set presents properly restored versions of Marcel Pagnol's most famous films to a new audience of filmgoers as well as scholars and fans of the famed 1930s French cinema.

SPECIAL FEATURES SUPPLEMENTAL DVD:

"Author of the Trilogy" - A 74-minute original documentary about Marcel Pagnol's FANNY TRILOGY (2003, Color).
Trailers for MARIUS, FANNY, CESAR.
Audio Commentary by Marcel Pagnol for MARIUS (60 min), FANNY (18 min), and CESAR (10 min).
A brand-mew Marcel Pagnol Biography
Filmographies / Posters Gallery / Stills Gallery / Original Promotional Material
In French w/ Optional English Subtitles AND ...
AS A PRINTED BOOKLET ‹ An exclusive, original essay about Marcel Pagnol and the FANNY TRILOGY written by acclaimed French filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier (COUP DE TORCHON, SUNDAY IN THE COUNTRY, CAPITAINE CONAN).

MARIUS (1931)

Marius, the first film in the FANNY TRILOGY masterfully tells the tale of Cesar (Raimu), a café owner in the port of Marseilles whose son Marius (Pierre Fresnay), a young man-about-town, works with him. Marius loves Fanny (Orane Demazis), the daughter of a fish-monger, but also longs to live the adventurous life of a sailor. Even though the young couple become lovers and plan to marry, Fanny realizes that she cannot hold Marius from his dreams.

FANNY (1932)

Fanny spins a simple, charming story out of the humor and compassion of the Provençal French. Set in Marseilles, the young and beautiful Fanny (Orane Demazis) discovers that she is pregnant after her lover, Marius, has deserted her to follow the adventurous life of the sea. In order to make the child legitimate, she reluctantly accepts the marriage offer of the older wealthy suitor Panisse (Charpin). Unaware that he is now a father, Marius returns to marry Fanny, but is sent away by his father Cesar in order to prevent further unhappiness.

CESAR (1936)

Cesar begins with the death of Cesar's best friend, old Panisse (Charpin), the town merchant who has devoted his wealth and love to the happiness of his young wife, Fanny (Orane Demazis), and their son (Andre Fouche). After the death of Panisse, the son is told by his mother that his real father is the legendary Marius, Cesar's son, who left Marseilles 20 years earlier to travel the world. Feeling betrayed, the son sets out to find Marius who is living quietly in a nearby town. It is only through the efforts of young Cesar that Fanny and Marius, still desperately in love after 20 years, are finally reunited. This dramatic and moving story, punctuated by witty dialogue, provides a poignant concluding chapter to Pagnol's famous trilogy.

Yet another must-buy for me. The box artwork looks fantastic.
Old 04-23-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this exact same package was being released by Criterion, any guesses how many "I'm buying" posts would be here by now?
Old 04-23-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by RevKarl
If this exact same package was being released by Criterion, any guesses how many "I'm buying" posts would be here by now?
quite a few.....yet this is not Criterion....hence no spine number....move on

Pro-B
Old 04-23-04, 07:07 PM

I dunno ... I think Pagnol suffers from poor name-recognition. Unfortunately, the high price of this set will discourage many blind-buys, so his films will remain unknown to all but the most dedicated classic French film lovers.
Old 04-23-04, 09:33 PM

Sadly, though their prices are similar, Kino is no Criterion when it comes to transfer quality. These discs' transfers are almost sure to be taken from PAL sources. I guess I'm either in the "I'll wait and see" camp or the "I'm renting" camp.
Old 04-24-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I don't want to hijack this thread onto the subject of Criterion worship, my real point was that the announced arrival on R1 of these three classic foreign films was basically being ignored here at DVD Talk. When the reviews start rolling in, it will be interesting to see how this Kino release fares in comparison to similar titles, like Criterion's three Rene Clair films.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Kino...IMHO, they are the top DVD distributor of silent films and their release of Love Me Tonight was one of my favorite DVD purchases of 2003.
Old 04-25-04, 05:19 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
I have been anticipating this release since it was first announced in Kino's catalog. This set is based on one released in France last fall by CMF (which, oddly, is already OOP as far as I can tell). There is an extensive review (in French) of the CMF box set at dvdrama. I can't say that I'm wild about Kino's suggested retail price, but I'm hoping DDD or Digital Eyes (which seem to have the best prices on Kino discs) will offer it at a decent discount.
Not sure what's going on with the French edition--it is definitely not listed on Amazon.fr; however, I have seen it in a shop around here last week, so it's definitely still possible to find it (the price, unfortunately, like the American one, leaves something to be desired).

The KINO version is definitely based on this one as the contents are almost exactly the same, but I wonder if they will retain the apology that you get when you select 'Play Movie'...? (Before the movie starts there is a screenful of text apologizing for the poor sound quality while noting that the movies date from early thirties (1931,32,36) and were some of the first sound movies in France)

I
Old 05-09-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DigitalEyes.net is currently offering this set at the preorder price of $48 (40% off.) As DE recently increased their Kino prices 25%, anyone interested is advised to place their order ASAP (and remember to check the Bargain forum for DE coupon codes to save even more.)

EDIT: typo fixed...my bad.

Last edited by RevKarl; 05-10-04 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-24-04, 12:37 PM
Suspended

The box is out. I got it. The packaging is incredible and the extras are very solid. It's all wonderful but...

I'm only halfway through "Marius" but I'm already noticing the picture is badly cropped at bottom (Orane Demazis's name was truncated in the opening titles). I believe this is one of those early talky 1.1:1 films that has been cropped (at bottom instead of on top, but still) to fit the 1.33:1 frame... A genuine restoration would have also gotten rid of some shaky moments that have everything to do with used-up apertures. Maybe the two other films are better in that respect.

The picture is mostly clear and detailed, without undue grain or contrast (is this an electronic manipulation?) and the sound is mostly astounding (especially the impressive, slightly echo-y foley), as is the music, but it has some bad patches too.

Still, it's the best version I've ever seen.

The English subtitles are wondrously clear and to the point but they can't make up for not knowing French for the complete enjoyment of such savoury, idiosyncratic, "regional" dialog.

The discs could also have been set up so that Pagnol's commentaries (read essays) of various lengths would be available while watching each film, instead of being audio-only (and unchaptered) options.

Last edited by baracine; 06-24-04 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 03:16 PM

Kino, I have a real love/hate relationship with them. Very inconsistant in thier DVD's.
Old 06-24-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
picked this up at the DDD sale... can't wait till it comes in.
Old 06-24-04, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Personally, I'm a big fan of Kino...IMHO, they are the top DVD distributor of silent films and their release of Love Me Tonight was one of my favorite DVD purchases of 2003.
(But I hasten to add: Love Me Tonight is very much a talkie, a musical in fact.)
Old 06-25-04, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Update: I'm now watching Fanny. Cropping problems are not so pronounced. The print is a little more contrasty but still acceptable. The picture quality is especially impressive when you compare it to the unrestored trailers.

What I called "an impressive and slightly echo-y foley" is in reality direct sound recording. In the absence of dialog, the very realistic direct sound recordings - everything from seagulls to the shimmering of the bar's bead-curtain - have been somewhat cleaned-up or amplified and they are very nice.

Unfortunately in this and the preceding film, Pagnol or Korda's experiments with setting up their microphone on a boom in the middle of a street results in the predictible overbearing noises but they only add to the realism and overall charm of the scenes. I admit I had to rely on the subtitles here and there to make out what the characters are saying but this wouldn't have been a problem for the original French audience.

I am very impressed by the pan shots following characters on the streets of Marseille (with natural sound). They remind me of the opening shots of Lubtisch's Love Me Tonight where Maurice Chevalier ambles down a backlot Paris street, except in the Hollywood film the sound effects were recorded, tweaked and edited by an army of technicians (not to mention mixed with music and pre-recorded songs).

What I am not mentioning here and I should have is that the films haven't lost their charm from when I saw them on TV as a kid and I still cried a bucket at the final scene of Marius and I am keeping the box of Kleenex handy, just in case, for what's ahead.

Raimu's and Charpin's antics are laugh-outloud funny throughout.
Old 06-25-04, 09:39 PM

sound track altered!!

Originally posted by baracine
What I called "an impressive and slightly echo-y foley" is in reality direct sound recording. In the absence of dialog, the very realistic direct sound recordings - everything from seagulls to the shimmering of the bar's bead-curtain - have been somewhat cleaned-up or amplified and they are very nice.

Well, my jaw is dropping right now -- I've rented (thank god) Marius, and I'm afraid what they've done to the sound (assuming Kino's giving up what they were supplied with) is one of those nasty jobs where sound effects have been added and overlaid to the original soundtrack!!! Perhaps it wouldn't be SO noticeable on small tv speakers, but right at the start they have added all kinds of annoying sounds of feet scuffling along the pavement, and various honks and background crowd noises. These stay within the mono domain, thank god, but I find it as distracting as what the "Vertigo" restoration does (car engine noises and doors slaming thrice as loud as they should be).

Try chapter 4 of "Marius" and you'll hear added sounds of doors opening and closing, cash registers (?), seagulls and footsteps all CLEARLY recorded later and in a different ambience from the original. None of this crap is on the old Image LD issues, which are otherwise completely supplanted by the superior visual quality here (with a little "zoom out" I don't find the cropping to be a problem).

What I find upsetting here is that no one at Kino would be aware of this sound tinkering and demand an original track. I really hope this is not the wave of the future. Ruscico has been called to task for their 5.1 travesties (Stalker), but I'm afraid that the fact that this stays in the single channel domain will mute criticism.

Shame!
Old 06-26-04, 01:15 AM

Nice, the Pagnol commentary on the Marius disc halts at about 20:30 through, defaulting to the menu screen. This is right before chapter 2 -- the only way to continue is to start at ch. 2 and lose a few seconds. This was tested on 3 different machines.

OOOOPS!

I'm SO glad I didn't buy this piece of crap.

I'm curious if anyone else could confirm this glitch. Thanks.

Last edited by unclehulot; 06-26-04 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-26-04, 06:07 AM
Suspended

Re: sound track altered!!

Originally posted by unclehulot
Well, my jaw is dropping right now -- I've rented (thank god) Marius, and I'm afraid what they've done to the sound (assuming Kino's giving up what they were supplied with) is one of those nasty jobs where sound effects have been added and overlaid to the original soundtrack!!! Perhaps it wouldn't be SO noticeable on small tv speakers, but right at the start they have added all kinds of annoying sounds of feet scuffling along the pavement, and various honks and background crowd noises. These stay within the mono domain, thank god, but I find it as distracting as what the "Vertigo" restoration does (car engine noises and doors slaming thrice as loud as they should be).

Try chapter 4 of "Marius" and you'll hear added sounds of doors opening and closing, cash registers (?), seagulls and footsteps all CLEARLY recorded later and in a different ambience from the original. None of this crap is on the old Image LD issues, which are otherwise completely supplanted by the superior visual quality here (with a little "zoom out" I don't find the cropping to be a problem).

What I find upsetting here is that no one at Kino would be aware of this sound tinkering and demand an original track. I really hope this is not the wave of the future. Ruscico has been called to task for their 5.1 travesties (Stalker), but I'm afraid that the fact that this stays in the single channel domain will mute criticism.

Shame!
I'll have to take your word that these sound effects are added and not just cleaned up. But I find them extremely cool, sensual even... [But then, I also thought the colourized version of King Kong was an unjustly maligned work of art in its own right.]

Last edited by baracine; 06-26-04 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-26-04, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: sound track altered!!

Originally posted by baracine
I'll have to take your word that these sound effects are added and not just cleaned up. But I find them extremely cool, sensual even... [But then, I also thought the colourized version of King Kong was an unjustly maligned work of art in its own right.]
Perhaps I'm over-sensitive to the changes. I've worked alot with recordings of that period, and the frequencies of the overlaid material simply weren't captured by equipment of that time. The question now is, did Pagnol himself do these for a reissue much later, or were they done for this video. It's interesting to note that Jacques Tati created a new sountrack for "Hulot's Holiday" in the early 60's, and that the original doesn't even exist now. But in this case, the original DOES exist, and should have been included, even if Pagnol had a hand in the redone version. I find this new version completely distracting, but wish it weren't so, because I love the films.