DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   UH-OH...what happened to DVDCoverart.com??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/368834-uh-oh-what-happened-dvdcoverart-com.html)

TboyTN 06-09-04 04:24 PM

UH-OH...what happened to DVDCoverart.com???

Been there a few times today only to get the message "server unavailable...try again later". Hope their server didn't crash...

Forum Troll 06-09-04 04:39 PM

Disney contacted us and ordered that all their covers be removed from the site. So, all covers for Disney studio titles and its subsidiaries (i.e. Miramax, Touchstone, Buena Vista, Pixar, etc.) are being removed to comply with their legal demands. The server (and whatever's left) will be available after this is completed.

Peregrine 06-09-04 05:30 PM

Forum Troll: Thanks for the update..I'm guessing due to the number of Di$ney covers, that there's currently no Estimated Time?

Ladies and Gentlemen, THIS sucks.

Forum Troll 06-09-04 07:51 PM

I would guesstimate later tonight. The other admins are busy removing the rest of the affected material. After that, things should be back to normal, whatever that is.

B4Bishop 06-09-04 08:45 PM

these is soooooooo much BS!!!!! These movie companies are shotting themselves in the foot.

B4Bishop 06-09-04 08:47 PM

How about posting the covers but not being able to download. Would that be illegal.

JupiterPrime 06-09-04 09:05 PM

There is no posting of covers without them being able to be downloaded - they are either available or they are not - We should be able to have it all back up and running by sometime tomorrow morning and there was an approximate 700 or so covers that had to be removed (and are still in process)

Orignally posted by Forum Troll:
Disney contacted us

Us? I kind of would like to know who Forum troll is ((scratching head))

JoeyOhhhh 06-09-04 09:47 PM

I'm surprised Disney didn't do this sooner.

Still sucks to hear about it happening.

B4Bishop 06-09-04 10:56 PM

Jup. what I was meaning was maybe we coul;d contact the authors personally and download them from them. So you guys do not get introuble.

Thanks for all your work!!!!

Feathers McGraw 06-10-04 06:52 AM

Figures. I just join, buy 100 credits, download 2 covers, and *boom*.

This is incredibly short sighted. If they're worried about piracy, covers have *nothing* to do with it. You really think somebody out there is going "Damn, I was going to pirate this great Disney flick, but without a cover, I just can't now."

The fact is, these covers are just for those of us legitimate owners who want to replace the gawdawful crap that passes for cover "art" nowadays.

JupiterPrime 06-10-04 07:01 AM

Originally posted by B4Bishop
Jup. what I was meaning was maybe we coul;d contact the authors personally and download them from them. So you guys do not get introuble.

Oh sure, there's always that - the hard part now, is thatonce they get removed you cant view them anymore so unless you specifically remember who did what, then who do you contact?

and BTW - I wasnt meaning to be blunt before - it was just a bad day with having to remove all that and coordinate with the other admins so we dont wind up wasting time double-dipping if you will and I more than likely just let it all hang out and it just came out sounding that way.

and now that I know who Forum Troll is, all I gotta say is Hey Hammer...you couldnt have come up with a better name that that??? LOL

Peregrine 06-10-04 08:28 AM

My favorite part of yesterday was the bit of seeing in the DVDCA Forums that it was going to happen, and we better get the covers while we could..so, I went to look at the movies that were being pulled, and went back and BAM. Site is unavailable. :-) Ah well...if I didn't like the site, I wouldnt' have already spent 250 credits there.

Wonder if there is a way to list what authors did what covers...for the personal request idea..of course, that could turn into a GIANT Pita for the authors...

Jupiter: Any word yet on if Luca$ is going to come after you for your avatar there? :-P

Michael Corvin 06-10-04 09:27 AM

Shame. I did the 42 cover matching, brushed metal, 'animated feature' set. In light of all this I am going to touch them all up, get the right UPCs on all of them and try and find another place for them. I've wanted to do this for a while, and fill a CD with hi-res .tiffs. I guess Disney has given me a reason to jump into this.

In related news, a matching Home on the Range is almost done. Cinderella and Aladdin are under way, and that just leaves Bambi.

Screw Eisner and Disney.

Peregrine 06-10-04 11:09 AM

Michael: Thanks...your covers, along with Zinema's Bond Covers, and Darthvong's Aliens covers, are what got me into replacing my crappy covers.

Also, for all to know, the site is now open again. Please form a line, no pushing.

JupiterPrime 06-10-04 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Peregrine
Jupiter: Any word yet on if Luca$ is going to come after you for your avatar there? :-P
The Hutt's havent come bashing down my door yet, and until such time.......

Rogue588 06-10-04 03:22 PM

well, since there seems to be some DVDCA people on here...

B4Bishop has a great idea there...or at least getting a "underground" thing going..

[still pissed that I dragged my feet about d/l Matt's Indiana Jones covers...:mad:]

JoeyOhhhh 06-10-04 04:32 PM

Originally posted by B4Bishop

A master list would be cool, if someone would be willing to put one together with previews of each cover.

mattgoble 06-10-04 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Shame. I did the 42 cover matching, brushed metal, 'animated feature' set. In light of all this I am going to touch them all up, get the right UPCs on all of them and try and find another place for them. I've wanted to do this for a while, and fill a CD with hi-res .tiffs. I guess Disney has given me a reason to jump into this.

Michael, I for one would pay money to own a CD of all your disney covers, so I really do hope you can find a new home for them soon.

Matt

JupiterPrime 06-10-04 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588

B4Bishophas a great idea there...or at least getting a "underground" thing going..

still pissed that I dragged my feet about d/l Matt's Indiana Jones covers...:mad:

going "underground", while sounding like a good idea, really sort of undermines what the whole DVDCA premise was initially started for ... a place for capable artists to present their much-improved-over-studio-filth, customized covers - it has since grown far beyod that and some might say not necessarilly for the better. I try to keep my work honest as do many, many others, but seeing some of what goes on behind the scenes, there's just a lot of the wrong and unwanted type of element out there. Still we do our best to be as reputable as possible and maintain our integrity.

Some people chide us ofr that, others applaud it - take it as you will with either a smile, or a grain of salt.

As far as Matt's Indy covers go - pay close attention to some of the artists mentioned in the cover artist thread ... in order to prevent further calamity, thats af far as I will throw that particular nugget.

As far as Michael goes, there is him and honestly more than several others who would do well if they coudl figure out a way to do exactly as suggested and I have pondered that particualr notion myself, but I lack the quantity and the temerity to pull it off successfully - perhpas in the future and perhaps with a few other names more talented than I - I can, without thinking, name at least 8 off the top of my head that I certainly wouldnt mind having as a pool of talent.

Bolt 06-11-04 12:02 AM

I have been a fellow user, replacing a lot of the crappy miramax covers with great customs.

This sucks, its as simple as that!

Scaramanga 06-11-04 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
In related news, a matching Home on the Range is almost done. Cinderella and Aladdin are under way, and that just leaves Bambi.

Screw Eisner and Disney.

Also pending is The Lion King II SE version cover ... it's been on my HD for a few months now and it's eager to get out there ;-)

Not to even mention the half a dozain other covers that were finally finished (including the highly anticipated Pixar's ...)

CanadianKnight 06-15-04 04:38 PM

Update: It's down again... not sure when (or if) it's coming back.

If I understand the DVDCA forums correctly, it looks like some pinhead, who was annoyed at the treatment he got from the moderators, ratted out DVDCoverart to the MPAA, or something along those lines.

So because this user was upset, he took it upon himself to destroy the whole idea for the rest of us who have been happily using it for years. GRRRRRRRR. -ohbfrank-

Scaramanga 06-15-04 04:41 PM

I'm even surprised it took that long for someone to do such a thing.

Sebastian 06-15-04 08:51 PM

Well anyone who thought this/these day(s) would never come after DVDCA went comercial is IMHO a fool. It was just a matter of time before the studios would find the site and realize that someone is selling their intellectual property and making a good deal of money with it. So the only thing that surprises me is how long this worked without a studio noticing... the one thing everyone should realize is that the people running dvdca can consider themselfs lucky if they get away with simply removing the covers and not having a nice costly lawsuite coming their way... so lets hope di$ney is playing nice and doesn't start sueing...

RogerSC 06-15-04 09:04 PM

Why people have to hate? I hate rats, somone gets butt hurt and has to mess it up 4 everyone else.