Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Due to all the re-releases -- I decided to stop and wait for HD-DVD

Due to all the re-releases -- I decided to stop and wait for HD-DVD

Old 06-04-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by matome
Eh, I bought my lasers, then replaced them with the DVD's and I'll do the same with HD-DVD eventually and then with whatever replaces those. I'm not gonna miss out on watching my movies waiting for the next format. I don't care about extras so OAR and digital sound are my minimum requirements. I don't rent, because I want to be able to pick a title on my whim and immediately throw it in the player.
Exactly my situation (well, I do appreciate nice extras as a bonus). I've gone from tape (VHS, Beta) to LD to DVD and I stopped renting 3 years ago. I don't make a ton of money so I can't jump onto the next format right away but I'm usually there way before the mainstream consumer.
Old 06-04-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Due to all the re-releases -- I decided to stop puchasing movies and wait for HD-DVD.
Likely to be a long wait
Old 06-04-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
In the time you've spent waiting for, say KillBill's HD-dvd, I will have already watched it umpteen times by myself and with friends. Thus making my current purchase totally worth my time and money. If the time comes for an upgrade (many years from now, no doubt), I'll make my decision to purchase then.
Old 06-04-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in transition too, I'm afraid. I am getting so many DVDs I don't watch them, so what is the use of having them? I'm in the process of trimming a lot of the fat.

I also am getting to where I can buy what I haven't seen in a long time or have never seen, watch it, and sell it on eBay. Isn't like I cannot reacquire the DVD again another day if I want.
Old 06-04-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Likely to be a long wait
Likely not.

Considering D-VHS is already here I suspect only two years tops for the small shiny round plastic things to appear on store shelves. I could be wrong, but gut feel says I am not.
Old 06-04-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

D-VHS has about zero market penetration.
Old 06-04-04, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by tacomantt
Likely not.

Considering D-VHS is already here I suspect only two years tops for the small shiny round plastic things to appear on store shelves. I could be wrong, but gut feel says I am not.

And they will be so pretty and fun and we will all do this again. And we'll complain endlessly about how The Godfather isn't on HD-DVD, and Indy, and Star Wars, and damn Universal you keep triple-releasing HD-DVD, and while we are doing this, we'll be speculating on the next movie format that is 5 years on the horizon.
Old 06-04-04, 07:26 PM

For me, the DVD format is perfection. I can't imagine these aging eyes detecting some subtle blu-ray nuance or replacing my rapidly growing collection for the next big thing. I went through this with vinyl/CD. Never again.

I thought I heard the new players would be backwards compatible. If that is the case,I would be willing to make the change and buy the new format if my current collection didn't become useless.
Old 06-04-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geoffrey
For me, the DVD format is perfection.

Me too. I love 6.1 surround sound, I'm happy w/ DTS. I love the home theater I have now & I don't need more. The picture quality is so good right now, the difference for an upgrade is just not worth it. Unless DVDs stop being made or go the way of the VHS which I cannot see happening for a long time, I'm MORE than happy with DVDs right now. And someone here said it best, it's a sad day when people are not being movies anymore for the sake of watching a good movie, but rather are buying them just so they can by the newest technology out there.
Old 06-04-04, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For me, the DVD format is perfection.
This is the statement I am sure that more than 95% of DVD viewers agree with.

As I have said before, we are entering the point of diminishing returns for home video formats.

DVD was better than VHS in every possible way, but HD-DVD is only promising a picture improvement over DVD and that alone is not enough to sway the average cosumer away from DVD with the same enthusiasm it gave up VHS. And I don't really remember people amassing VHS the way they amass DVDs nowadays further complicating the transition dilemma.

As much as I want HD-DVD, it is not going to catch on. I give the earliest at 2010 before the masses start noticing it and I think that is still too optimistic. An oncoming format war may only further worsen the problem...

Last edited by smirnoffski; 06-04-04 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 09:20 PM

A person's eyes and ears are only so good. We already have the perfect format with DVD.

Can it really get better? Good enough to make you replace everything you've spent years amassing?

HD-DVD is something I'll investigate when it comes out; as long as I don't have to rebuy all those Tremors movies for my wife....
Old 06-04-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting for Isolinear Chips, myself...
Old 06-04-04, 09:31 PM

I'm definitely going to upgrade most if not all my DVDs to HD-DVD.

I watch some boring shows on Discovery HD Theater just because the picture is so good.
Old 06-05-04, 12:00 AM

HD-DVD picture quality is definitely worth upgrading for if you have the right equipment. Majority don't so it's hard to imagine HD-DVD will catch on as quickly as DVD did.

I have a 65" TV and an HD Cable. All my friends can notice the difference in the picture quality between a good quality HD movie on HBO and DVD. I have an upscaler for DVD that helps but it is still inferior against a native HD feed. If you have anything smaller than 40", I doubt you can see the difference between HD-DVD and SD-DVD, with upscaler or not.

Not all movies will be worth upgrading for. I recently saw Before Sunrise on HBO-HD. It is virtually identical to an upscaled DVD feed. If thats what they're going put on the HD-DVD, I will not buy it though the movie is one of my favorites of all time.

So, with the adoption rate, format war, implementation learning curve, availability of source material, it'll be between 5-10 years for HD-DVD to be where SD-DVD is at right now. I wouldn't know how to wait for that long.
Old 06-05-04, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)

I watch some boring shows on Discovery HD Theater just because the picture is so good.
lol, I do the same thing. I just don't understand how anybody can look at that and say it's not a big difference. On top of that, broadcast/cable/satelite HD won't compete with whichever form of HD-DVD comes out due to bandwidth limitations so the disk stuff will be even better.

I still watch every movie I want to watch on DVD. I'm not missing out on a single thing as some people here seem to think. The difference is, instead of buying dvds I only have a casual interest in, I rent them. For a brief time I was buying dvds that I only had a passing interest in just because I hate going to the rental stores and I started getting the collector bug. Netflix has saved me a fortune. Surely some service will offer HD rentals (if not netflix, niche flix surely will). It's a battle trying to keep collectors mentality from taking over but these online services really help. In addition to not ending up owning more crap like thirteen ghosts and eight legged freaks (lol.. what was I thinking), renting lets me enjoy a movie on initial release and wait for the better version if one is planned (like Kill Bill). Win win.

I'll probably buy more titles when I can purchase them in HD but I plan to keep my collection modest even then. Some people like to have huge collections so they can watch whatever they want, whenever they want and that's cool for them. I'm one of those people though, that no matter how much I have of something, I'm never in the mood for what I have in the house. It's always what I DON'T have that I end up wanting to watch/listen to/have sex with.

To each his own, people.
Old 06-05-04, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by brombie
I recently saw Before Sunrise on HBO-HD. It is virtually identical to an upscaled DVD feed. If thats what they're going put on the HD-DVD, I will not buy it though the movie is one of my favorites of all time.

I cancelled HD HBO. I seriously think they air some upsampled stuff that wasn't made from a true HD master. Anything film based can benefit from a HD master. Another thing I think they do is zoom in on 2:35:1 movies to fill the 16x9 screen instead of using a 16x9 transfer (should be OAR anyway in most cases) which just totally screws up the PQ. Not to mention the amount of their "original series" crap that's not in HD and has no business being on the HD channel. I was really disappointed with their HD service, to say the least. Just about everything I see on Dicovery HD and InHD blows away most of what HBO airs. Even the movie of the week on ABC is better looking and that's free. HD Net has looked jaw dropping every time I've seen it but I don't have that channel at home yet.

So yeah... no HBO until they get a clue.

/rant
Old 06-05-04, 12:34 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree about waiting for new releases, its quite frustrating when the studio's should be doing it right the first time. But as usual, there is greed in the world and we'll probably have the same problems with HDD
Old 06-05-04, 01:01 AM

So what do we buy when we know what comes after HD-DVDs?

When do I live? Will I live when HD-DVD is released? Do I want to live now?

Existentialism in DVD purchusing...
Old 06-05-04, 07:35 AM
Banned

Re: Due to all the re-releases -- I decided to stop and wait for HD-DVD

Due to all the re-releases -- I decided to stop puchasing movies and wait for HD-DVD.

I own well over 800 movies and I used to purchase new releases all the time. However an evil un-necessary trend of re-releasing movies more frequently has turned my delight for DVD-movies sour.

Early re-releases used to be an update to the DVD to make the movie anamorphic, or fix an audio problem. However, now even before a release is out -- a future version is already announced.

There are many specific examples, but the ones that started the souring and made me 'ticked' were: Grease and Apocalpyse Now Redux. Before these even hit the shelves the studios announced that "newer" versions are on the horizon. I purchased them anyways because I wanted to.

New titles that really got me thinking are Kill Bill, Gladiator, and now Spiderman.

These re-announced titles pushed me over the edge.

Nobody is forcing me to buy the most recent titles -- and I am at liberty to wait to get the version I want. But I 'feel' as if I am getting screwed for being a good boy by purchasing movies I like.

I also figure that the studios will eventually re-release all thier movies on some HD-DVD format -- and then re-release those titles again as some sort of special edition as well.

So basically I am going to wait -- I'll purchase one hi-def copy of version of a film -- and not one more.
You do what you like, but, in the words of an overplayed song,
I don't want to wait for my life to be over.
Old 06-05-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Likely not.

You would think that the overwhelming solution is to adopt Blu-ray as the standard for high definition DVD, as it has more supporters, but HD-DVD has one key advantage. To put it simply, Blu-ray will entail a major infrastructure investment by its members for manufacturing; new facilities for manufacturing discs and players, lots of retooling. However, due to the physical specifications for HD-DVD, most of the manufacturing plants making current DVD players, discs, and other parts can still be used for HD-DVD. Don't expect this issue to be resolved soon, however, do expect to see both Blu-ray and HD-DVD players arriving on store shelves be the end of 2004 and throughout 2005. Currenty, the DVD forum has approved Blu-ray as both a playback and recording format and has approved HD-DVD as a playback format only at this time.

It is expected that players in both formats will arrive first, followed later by units with recording capability. The question is, who is going to provide enough pre-recorded software. Sony-Columbia is expected to jump in early, but it remains to be seen how quick the other studios react. In addition, will consumers really have access to high definition DVD recording, or will the studios slow down the introduction of both Blu-ray's and HD-DVD's recording capabilities due to potential piracy concerns
I'll keep my discs for now. Who wants to see remastered in HD(?) ten to twenty year old movies. I have a hard time believing that within 5 years there will be more than 100 titles worth owning.

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdl...dvd2004a_3.htm
Old 06-05-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Dammit
lol, I do the same thing. I just don't understand how anybody can look at that and say it's not a big difference. On top of that, broadcast/cable/satelite HD won't compete with whichever form of HD-DVD comes out due to bandwidth limitations so the disk stuff will be even better.
I have HD HBO and a few local HD stations, and only HD source material looks remarkably better than DVD. But for older films, there is little perceptible difference. That's a large reason why some of us believe that HD-DVD is not going to be a big deal for us.

If you're the type that enjoys watching recent theatrical releases, then you will definitely benefit from HD-DVD. Simply because their source material will be higher quality (they will be recorded in HD)

Older films won't benefit as much (if any) and might actually look worse on HD-DVD. Specs, nicks, and scratches are already evident on many transfers used for DVDs of older films. Disc producers feel the need to resort to alterations during the disc creation process... overuse of edge-enhancement and various digital filters, etc. even color-timing is tweaked in an attempt to create an image with high enough "visual" quality for DVD.

Imagine how much more digital tweaking will be done in producing HD-DVD discs!

And of course, just because the format is available (HD-DVD in the future) doesn't mean that disc producers will properly exploit it. Remember the original Highlander DVD? WORSE than a VHS tape recorded from an over-the-air TV station. The same will happen with HD-DVD.

HD-DVD will look stunning with new stuff that was either originally shot in HD. But for those of us who favor older films, the difference is not going to be that great (if at all)... and certainly not enough that we would want to upgrade our collections. Generally speaking of course, as always, there are exceptions.
Old 06-05-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
DVD happened to come along at a time when we were on the verge of a long-planned major transition in television standards that lasted for decades. Just because there will be a format that takes advantage of that change 8 years after the introduction of DVD, it doesn't mean there will be a better format in another 8 years. It would take another major transition in television standards for that to happen. Considering how slow and drawn-out the switch (which is really just starting) to HDTV has been, I think it's safe to say that HD-DVD will be with us for a while.
Old 06-05-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sracer
I think that the sentiment of the OP is more of a reflection of society in general... the rabid pursuit of instant gratification, the blind drive to get the biggest and best, and the suppression of a sense of contentment. Hyper-consumerism rears its ugly head.

We dislike it when a company simultaneously releases a basic disc and the announcement of a more comprehensive release in the future. Why? Because we want it all, and we want it now. We don't have the self-control to wait for the more extensive release.

Or if we choose the basic release, our lack of a sense of contentment kicks in because we see that others will get both or hold out.

We're not all like that, but there is a good percentage.

Too much blame is being placed on studios. Drop the telescope and pick up a mirror.

------------

As for "holding out" for newer, higher quality formats. This too is a symptom of hyper-consumerism and in some regards is short-sighted.

The people associated with older films are either gone, or have memories clouded by age. Any new supplemental material will be worse than stuff done at a time that was closer to the film's release. There's also no guarantee that supplemental material from older media formats will be included in these new formats.

Elements for those films are getting older and will either be the same or in worse condition by the time new media formats are produced. This will require more restoration work than ever before.

Not all titles available on previous formats will be available on new ones. Although there is a great number of titles "exclusive" to DVD, there are still many that were never put on DVD and only available on OOP VHS.

Lastly, there is nothing inherent in these newer formats that will elminate the complaints we currently have with DVD.
word.
Old 06-05-04, 09:30 AM

Likely not.

Another support point. Soon people will be able to archive HD movies from their cable box into their PC or blu-ray recorder (when the price comes down a bit). In fact, people with HD cable in some areas are already able to record the HD programming onto D-VHS tapes or a Mac computer. What are the studios going to do? I do not think that they will sit on their hands while those that desperately want HD get the said equipments and pass on the majority of DVD releases.
Old 06-05-04, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by sracer

Older films won't benefit as much (if any) and might actually look worse on HD-DVD. Specs, nicks, and scratches are already evident on many transfers used for DVDs of older films.

I completely disagree with this. Film (even film used 20 years ago or more) still has a resolution FAR higher than HDTV is capable of accurately reproducing. Matter of fact, there was an article linked on this forum not long ago about the 4k scanning process. It takes 4,000 lines of resolution to accurately reproduce film. The average HDTV can display what, about 1300 or so? You think studios would pay for this expensive process if it weren't showing an appreciable difference? There are a lot of movies getting the 4k treatment right now (the holy trilogy being just one of them).

So you don't want to see more grain and more specs? Ok, but at the same time you're missing out on a great deal of the fine detail that makes film, film. I saw Clockwork Orange on InHD a few weeks ago. Looked absolutely amazing (as does just about every older movie they show because they only use real HD masters). Hell I saw some WWII footage on there about a week ago even that looked stunning. It was blurry and grainy but it looked authentic. The blur and grain was obviously from the film and not from the process of a low resolution digital image being blown up to fit your HD screen. You knew what you were looking at was really film and not some crappy video. Along with that grain and those specs comes a remarkable amount of detail.

Simply put, it makes film, even old film, far more "film like" than DVD is capable of.

I can't emphasize this enough but HBO is a REALLY bad example to use. InHD and HDNet show a lot of older stuff and it looks awesome. The higher bit rates and lower compression of a disk based HD solution is only going to improve on what you see being broadcast right now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.