Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill Volume 2 - Updated Cover Art and Features

Kill Bill Volume 2 - Updated Cover Art and Features

Old 06-02-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer this if only because it's more consistent. The spines should look cool. Volume 1: Black on Yellow, Volume 2: Yellow on Black. I'm also glad it doesn't say "THE NEW FILM FROM QUENTIN TARANTINO" quite as large as the other one.
Old 06-02-04, 09:23 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where's the link to the old cover art that people are talking about?
Old 06-02-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by eau
Where's the link to the old cover art that people are talking about?
Third post here.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ill+bill+cover
Old 06-02-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i like it!
Old 06-02-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally posted by demonio
You guys think the special edition of both movies will be out by Christmas time?
Considering the release of Vol 2 is in August, I think they'd try to use these versions for this holiday season. The only thing we might see would be a boxset with these two just thrown in, no additional extras, but that's just my speculation.
Old 06-02-04, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by scott1598
For those that think this is better I think you better re-think. I understand what you are saying with consistency, but...
i did re-think and i've come to the conclusion that i still like the new cover better. i saw both movies and i know how different the two parts were but honestly, i think the first cover was wretchedly ugly. i thought it was ok at first (except for the font) but the more i saw it the more i didn't like it...regardless of whether it was the original poster art. furthermore, i think the new cover DOES reflect the near opposite styles of the two halves by switching the primary and secondary colors around and by showing images of Uma in the different outfits. the new cover reflects the differences in parts but still lets the eye know they belong together.
Old 06-02-04, 10:37 PM

I like it.
Old 06-03-04, 12:56 AM

I like the cover. But even if they decided to put a closeup of Esteban's teeth on there, I wouldn't care. August 10th just can't come soon enough.
Old 06-03-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WestEndRiot
i did re-think and i've come to the conclusion that i still like the new cover better. i saw both movies and i know how different the two parts were but honestly, i think the first cover was wretchedly ugly. i thought it was ok at first (except for the font) but the more i saw it the more i didn't like it...regardless of whether it was the original poster art. furthermore, i think the new cover DOES reflect the near opposite styles of the two halves by switching the primary and secondary colors around and by showing images of Uma in the different outfits. the new cover reflects the differences in parts but still lets the eye know they belong together.
I agree. it's rather silly to suggest folks to rethink their personal taste on what cover they like better. Even if the two films are like night and day, they are still one movie and should be treated as such.

I like it
Old 06-03-04, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Considering the release of Vol 2 is in August, I think they'd try to use these versions for this holiday season. The only thing we might see would be a boxset with these two just thrown in, no additional extras, but that's just my speculation.
Kinda like how Peter Jackson just released the same LOTR discs in a new package three months later? :P

Really, I could understand what you're saying if they did it at the same time as the volume 2 release (see: LOTR theatrical releases, or the Jurassic Park trilogy), but I think they're smarter than to think that they can simply repackage two existing DVDs three to four months later in a piece of cardboard and make tons of money during the holiday season. They'd sell to the people who hadn't bought it previously and who wanted to save a buck or two on the combined package, but they wouldn't ensure double-dipping from the fans, which is what they WANT to do. I'm pretty confident that it will be a SE at the very least, and I think it's possible it will be an extended version as well (especially if you consider Quentin's plan to put that version in the theaters for a limited run... the timing works out).
Old 06-03-04, 11:08 AM
Mok

More Uma love the cover.
Old 06-03-04, 11:10 AM
Mok

Here is the new cover over at dvdempire.

Last edited by Mok; 06-24-04 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
It's a good thing these movies are great because the covers have sucked (IMO)
www.dvdcoverart.com

Problem solved.
Old 06-03-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Mok
Here is the old cover over at dvdempire.

I don't think this was ever the intended cover art - just something to show before the actual art was revealed.
Old 06-03-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rival11
I don't think this was ever the intended cover art - just something to show before the actual art was revealed.
Indeed.. somebody probably took the theatrical poster, slapped the DVD symbol on it and posted it as a exclusive news item to attempt to get more hits to their site. This happenes a lot.
Old 06-03-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally posted by Duder
Kinda like how Peter Jackson just released the same LOTR discs in a new package three months later? :P

Really, I could understand what you're saying if they did it at the same time as the volume 2 release (see: LOTR theatrical releases, or the Jurassic Park trilogy), but I think they're smarter than to think that they can simply repackage two existing DVDs three to four months later in a piece of cardboard and make tons of money during the holiday season. They'd sell to the people who hadn't bought it previously and who wanted to save a buck or two on the combined package, but they wouldn't ensure double-dipping from the fans, which is what they WANT to do. I'm pretty confident that it will be a SE at the very least, and I think it's possible it will be an extended version as well (especially if you consider Quentin's plan to put that version in the theaters for a limited run... the timing works out).
I see where you're going with that, but I don't think it's right. These have a much more niche market, and LOTR was always designed to be 2 releases of three movies. I wasn't thinking that they'd get people to double dip just for a cardboard box, but anybody that hadn't taken the plunge yet (like me) would be able to get them both and as I said, that's pure speculation.

I think we'll see the different cuts next year. If Vol 2 were out next month or so, maybe this Christmas.
Old 06-03-04, 02:22 PM
Retired

Well, at least I can say the extra's on these releases haven't tempted me into double dipping.
Old 06-03-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The disc art itself is actually like the JPN R2 Vol.1 DVD.

http://www.geneon-ent.co.jp/movie/killbill/dvd.html
Old 06-03-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
www.dvdcoverart.com

Problem solved.
You are quite right. I've never used the site, though. Maybe I should rethink that because a few of those Kill Bill covers are very very nice! As much as I like Uma, I like the covers without her better.
Old 06-03-04, 10:37 PM

As much as I like the movies, I'm thinking of waiting until the unified recut is released. I heard Quentin is working on that.

The reason is the recut may bring some needed balance to the movies. I feel that the first one was cut to emphasize the action so people will go see the 2nd one. That one is a bit heavy on the background story. A recut may smooth the flow since there's no pressure for the first half to hook you into the second half.
Old 06-03-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts
I think the other cover art was much much better.
I agree (all that had to be changed was the font a bit to mesh better with the picture of the bride in ger gown) but I find comfort in the fact that, though similar to the cover of Vol. 1, this one does not totally suck. And I also think this just means we have so many possibilities for good covers on the special edition(s) based on any one of the better posters that were used to advertise either volume.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-04-04 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-04-04, 01:47 AM
Cool New Member

was the japanese version of vol 2 was also uncut like vol 1 was? cause i'll get the japanese disc again if it is uncut like vol 1
Old 06-04-04, 01:53 AM

I think the other cover art was much much better. For those that think this is better I think you better re-think. I understand what you are saying with consistency, but...

Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 are too way different movies. They are like apples and oranges when you compare them as films. With the other cover art you had a distinctness with the 2 films which is the way it is supposed to be because after all these movies are way different and way distinct from one another.

Different is good in some cases especially when 1 movie is an opus to the over-the-top stylized chop suey, sword slashing violence of old

and the other is an homage to a more cerebral, talkie, mood piece of stylized banter and witty repartee akin to probably his other masterpiece "Pulp Fiction"

Therefore...different covers is good. Same covers is bad!
blasphemy. tarantino would have your head for saying they are two movies.
Old 06-04-04, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by cloudspear
was the japanese version of vol 2 was also uncut like vol 1 was? cause i'll get the japanese disc again if it is uncut like vol 1
No.
What would you expect to see uncut in Vol 2?
Old 06-04-04, 10:31 AM

Hey, I was right about them using that art Yay me!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.