Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Details on upcoming Purple Rain 2-disc SE, Under the Cherry Moon & Graffiti Bridge

Community
Search

Details on upcoming Purple Rain 2-disc SE, Under the Cherry Moon & Graffiti Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From DVDAnswers:
Warner has announced the twentieth-anniversary special edition release of Purple Rain. This two-disc release will be available to own from the 24th August this year, and should retail at around $26.99. As well as a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation and English Dolby Digital 5.1 track, the disc will include a commentary with Director Albert Magnoli, Producer Robert Cavallo and the Cinematographer Donald E. Thorin, three new featurettes, an all-new documentary on the Minneapolis music scene, the importance of the First Avenue club and Prince's career prior to Purple Rain, another new documentary on the making of the movie and the Academy Award winning music and a third new documentary on the impact of the movie and music on Pop Culture, the response from Prince's fans and the enduring legacy of Purple Rain. Also included will be the following music videos: Let's go Crazy, Take me With U, When Doves Cry, I Would Die 4 U/Baby I'm a Star, Purple Rain, Jungle Love, The Bird and lastly Sex Shooter. Completing the package will be the 1984 MTV Premiere Party TV special and the theatrical trailers for Purple Rain, Graffiti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon. We've attached the artwork below:

(Click here for cover art)
and from here:
Warner has also announced Under The Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge, both of which star Prince. Each of the titles will be available to own from the 24th August for $19.97 a pop. Presentation wise, you can expect both films to include 1.85:1 widescreen presentations along with English Dolby 2.0 Surround tracks. Extras on Under The Cherry Moon will include the music videos: Girls & Boys, Mountains, Kiss, anotherloverholenyohead and the film's theatrical trailer. Graffiti Bridge on the other hand will include these music videos: New Power Generation, The Question of U, Thieves in the Temple and Round and Round. The theatrical trailer will also be included. We've attached artwork and menu shots below:

(Click here for cover and menu art)
Old 06-02-04, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! I'm glad they're using the original key art for Purple Rain.
Old 06-02-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
This is soooooooooooooooo cool!

You can't get the videos to "Mountains," "Girls and Boys," or most of those others anywhere else on DVD or VHS. Prince fans like myself will be jumping for joy when these titles come out. (The actual movies, GRAFFITI BRIDGE and UNDER THE CHERRY MOON aren't nearly as watchable...)
Old 06-02-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait to get Purple Rain. Great soundtrack and Apollonia had it going on. I'll pass on GB an Cherry Moon, though.
Old 06-02-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

buying Purple Rain first day it comes out. It's been over 15 years since I've seen The Time's Jungle Love & The Bird and Apollonia's Sex Shooter videos. I can't wait.

Probably will get Under The Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge eventually.
Old 06-02-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
At the very least, the commentaries tracks should be entertaining. Cavallo used to be Prince's manager, and they had a pretty bad falling out when Prince went through all that "slave" and "Symbol" crap.

Maybe one of the featurettes will include coverage of the recent Revolution/Time/The Family/Jill Jones reunion that took place in Minneapolis a couple months ago.
Old 06-02-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That sounds like a nice set. Warner sure has been doing a great job with their 2-disc SE line.
Old 06-02-04, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Warner seems to be moving away very very slowly from snapper cases and digipaks, which gets them a big from me.

The Big Bounce was just announced and it will also be in a keepcase. The Scorsese collection films, etc.

Still, Mystic River will be in a snapper. With the 3-disc edition being in keepcase packaging, it's not hard to see that they're trying to get people who care to buy the more expensive version.

In any case, there's no telling how Graffitti Bridge or Cherry Moon will be packaged, although one can hope that they have a consistent look with each other.

I wonder if there'll be a Prince boxed set, or at least a package deal, on release day.
Old 06-02-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I plan on getting all three. I was a huge Prince fan back in "the day," even if the latter two titles are not as good. They still hold a big nostolgic value for me and I've been wanting these on DVD for a long time now.

One bonus feature I wish they would include on the UTCM DVD is the MTV premier party! Who remembers this? I know I have it buried somewhere on VHS tape. MTV held a contest for a viewer to have Prince come and premier UTCM in their hometown, and it turned out to be some shy girl from some small town (I think in Wyoming somewhere, but it was a pretty rural town.) She didn't know how to act around him and the whole thing was a laughable mess.
Old 06-02-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anybody from Warner reading this please advise if the video for "When Doves Cry" is the extended version with the split screen. I love that video

Nice to see they added Sex Shooter too

I love when the 3 girls are in the gym rehearsing in front of the mirror grinding

I'm a sex shooter....shooting love in your direction

Thanks again Warner!!....Another great release