DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Where in the *&%* are all the copies of BUBBA HO-TEP! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/366707-where-%2A-%25%2A-all-copies-bubba-ho-tep.html)

Apocrypha 05-28-04 11:35 AM

Where in the *&%* are all the copies of BUBBA HO-TEP!

In a typical tale of should of preordered it..
I have been trying to find a copy of Bubba Ho-tep in my town since the day it came out
and there appear to be none.
Walmart didn't stock it even though its a "super center"
Target "sold out" if they even had any...
Kmart doesn't carry MGM now
Hastings sold out of the 5 or so copies they had for sale and have yet to get more.
Aaargggh I keep tripping over copies of ROTK everywhere but I can't find the movie I really want to see!!!
Rant done....

Mike Lowrey 05-28-04 11:38 AM

Well, how about this. Buy all those ROTK disc you keep tripping over and then you might, if you're lucky, find the lost hidden stack of Bubba-Ho-Teps. Problem solved, no? :p

DVD Josh 05-28-04 11:46 AM

My best buy had about 15 copies, just on the new release table, and about 20 in the stacks.

freudguy 05-28-04 12:02 PM

K-mart doesn't carry MGM now? What's up with that?

I saw a few copies at my local Best Buy on release day but none anywhere else.

GuessWho 05-28-04 12:27 PM

Why would you expect Target and Walmart to carry a movie 2% (max!) of people even heard of?

Bronkster 05-28-04 12:33 PM

I saw it at Best Buy in Fullerton, CA on Tuesday, but passed on it because I didn't like the price.

I understand there are two versions out (a collectable package and a special edition). Anyone know what the differences are?

buckee1 05-28-04 01:39 PM

My BB in Okemos, Mi had about 10 copies @ 19.99 apiece.

STEVEIGNORANT 05-28-04 01:44 PM

Yeah, why would they stock a title that is getting advertisement on TV and is on that no name label called MGM?

Bronkster, I believe the special edition has collectible packaging(apparently an embossed slipcase and scrapbook) similar to The Howling SE. There aren't 2 different versions, just different packagings.

Incidentally, Bubba is numer 2 on the DVD empire best sellers lists.

renaldow 05-28-04 01:47 PM

Odd, I've been seeing Bubba everywhere I go. Portland seems to have a glut of them.

KTIK 05-28-04 01:49 PM

Best Buy in Danvers, MA had zero copies. The horror section had a giant blank area where it would have fit, and the new releases had a section filled with gift cards (Meaning that whatever was there is now gone). Luckily, the Circuit City in the same town had two copies left.

Moefuscious 05-28-04 01:51 PM

Don't feel bad.....I pre-ordered the Collector's edition over a month ago from DDD and mine won't ship until 6/04. :(

Zodiac_Speaking 05-28-04 01:56 PM

I got mine Tuesday morning, but a lot of people were picking it up-which is good? But for me it was a blind buy (although it was a great blind buy), but where did they all seeit? It only came briefly to Lincoln (our capital), but Omaha is way bigger. Whatever.

fumanstan 05-28-04 02:04 PM

Originally posted by STEVEIGNORANT
Yeah, why would they stock a title that is getting advertisement on TV and is on that no name label called MGM?

Bronkster, I believe the special edition has collectible packaging(apparently an embossed slipcase and scrapbook) similar to The Howling SE. There aren't 2 different versions, just different packagings.

Incidentally, Bubba is numer 2 on the DVD empire best sellers lists.

It's still a "lesser" release that wasn't even advertised in Target's ad. So it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't carry it. Heck, it was a limited run in theaters as well. Doesn't really matter who distributes the film.

ScottyWH 05-28-04 02:31 PM

I would have had no idea this movie existed if I didn't frequent DVDtalk.

STEVEIGNORANT 05-28-04 02:32 PM

It does matter who distributes the film. If it was some company like Ventura or Troma, it wouldn't be in Target or Wal-Mart period and that's understandable. It was advertised in BB and CC ads and it is for sale at most people's Wal-mart locations. The TV ads are a big boost to any DVD sale and MGM is really pushing this one and it is apparently paying off.

Sessa17 05-28-04 02:32 PM

I got mine Tues. morning at my local BB, but my roomate & several friends have all gone since to get the movie & most of the major best buys in central Jersey are wiped out, which is crazy since these are probably some of the biggest BBs. A couple were also sold out of Club Dread.

Cameron 05-28-04 02:53 PM

30 copies at suncoast near me...guess shopping for socks, pickles, and dvds in a one stop shop isn't all its cracked up to be.

TomOpus 05-28-04 02:55 PM

There were a lot at the Wal*Mart by me...but then, for some odd reason, I have a cool Wal*Mart (DVD-wise) :)

VincentVega 05-28-04 04:04 PM

I imagine most people are picking this up blind. There's been quite a big buzz about it on the internet and Bruce does have a large, loyal fan base.

My Future Shop only had 5 or 6 copies when I got there 3 hours after the store opened. It seems stores undestimed the demand for it.

scarredgod 05-28-04 04:11 PM

bubba was pretty hard to find in the pittsburgh area as well. best buy sold out and a couple people were looking for it when i was there, circuit city didnt have any (and had no idea what it even was, even though its listed in the ad), target and walmart didnt have it. best buy got more in on thursday though.

i think retailers underestimated the demand for this movie which is building a pretty big cult audience.

Quake1028 05-28-04 05:12 PM

Yeah I can't find it anywhere either, and it's pissing me off.

wharris 05-28-04 05:43 PM

Bubba Ho Tep - no shortage at amazon

Looks like Amazon.com has it in stock.

lordzeppelin 05-28-04 05:44 PM

Originally posted by scarredgod
bubba was pretty hard to find in the pittsburgh area as well. best buy sold out and a couple people were looking for it when i was there, circuit city didnt have any (and had no idea what it even was, even though its listed in the ad), target and walmart didnt have it. best buy got more in on thursday though.

i think retailers underestimated the demand for this movie which is building a pretty big cult audience.

I don't know what Best Buy you went to, but North Hills (McKnight Rd.) and Monroeville each had plenty...

ManWNoName 05-28-04 07:14 PM

i was in deptford, south jersey, and tried to pick it up at target so i didn't have to support best buy but by the looks of it target wasn't carrying it. ran over to best buy and they had a decent amount, at least half gone. this was tuesday afternoon.

mikewendt 05-28-04 08:30 PM

I got one on Wed. @ Best Buy. It was 1 of 5-7.