Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do finger nail nicks and warped cases tick you off to no end?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-04, 11:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I mean the outer clear cover of cases for DVD's, scuffed edges on collectible boxes, slight bumps, teeny tiny, but noticeable bruises on the DVD's you most treasure. I mean what can be done?? You can take care of them as best as possible, but there seems to be no solution.

Warping over time and those damn nail nicks from trying to ever so gently tear off the security sticker on the top and often times 3 sides of the DVD case. I try hard not to, but sometimes the glue is just impenetrable. It is so frustrating...

And wouldn't this make you just think it is decreasing the value of your collection..both monetarily and sentimentally?

Anyone else have these annerving problems with their collections?? Combust

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-16-04 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-16-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no cosmetic problems for the most part. except for manufacturing defects....my library is in fairly mint condition. one thing I use to prevent aging damage is plastic, re-sealable sleeve/bags(about 3 cents each) for all of my cases. I did a similar program for my vinyl LP's, years ago. I still have records from the early 70's that look brand new.
Old 05-16-04, 11:50 AM

yeah..i know..i have the real high $.."the killer", "little shop of", but that is way to inconvenient in terms of wrapping 300 DVD's and then they aren't so easily accessible for viewing..meaning can't just take out of and pop in..a little too much work.
Old 05-16-04, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About those stickers sealing DVD cases on the top, side and bottom - I hate 'em! It's overkill, and completely unnecessary, aside from pissing off the consumer. They're already shrinkwrapped. What's the point of sealing it on all three sides??? None that I can see.

And if you're not careful, and sometimes infinitely patient, you'll damage the case trying to take those damn things off.
Old 05-16-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm indescribably anal when it comes to my DVDs, so yes, these little things bug me to death. For instance, some of my box sets have dents in them that were present when I bought them (You can't pre-inspect purchases made online, unfortunately), but weren't major enough to warrant an exchange. So I live with them. Sometimes I think about them and it really pisses me off.

There are also a few of my DVDs that are slightly scratched for whatever reason, and that bugs me as well. The best example is my copy of Eraserhead which I paid $50 for from davidlynch.com. I was an idiot and kept the disc housed in that horrid paper sleeve, and the result was some minor surface scratches. They don't affect playback, but they still irritate me. I've since come to my senses and switched the disc to a thin jewel case, but the damage has already been done.

The best solution is to just not think about it. They're just DVDs afterall.
Old 05-16-04, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by caiman
The best solution is to just not think about it.
These types of threads don't help. I don't know if I'll be able to get to sleep tonight now!

...stupid dent on Alien Quadrilogy box, annoying crease on Dark City case, mother %#$%$$% crease on back of Memento LE sleeve.!.!.!
Old 05-16-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only cosmetic thing that really bothers me is when a keepcase cover isn't lined up exactly behind the clear sheet and the security sticker gets stuck to the protruding edge. Peel off the sticker and voila! A nice white strip of torn cover.
Old 05-16-04, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
About those stickers sealing DVD cases on the top, side and bottom - I hate 'em! It's overkill, and completely unnecessary, aside from pissing off the consumer. They're already shrinkwrapped. What's the point of sealing it on all three sides??? None that I can see.
How about this? Received the Se7en Platinum edition dvd from DDD and there is security tape on the top of the slipcover that I cannot remove without damaging the case.
Old 05-16-04, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by matome
The only cosmetic thing that really bothers me is when a keepcase cover isn't lined up exactly behind the clear sheet and the security sticker gets stuck to the protruding edge. Peel off the sticker and voila! A nice white strip of torn cover.
I think I hate that one most of all.

BTW, nice to see I'm not alone. What some people call anal I just call particular.
Old 05-16-04, 09:07 PM

In order to prevent finger nail goudges on the front and/or back of the cases, I take a small razor knife and cut the security tape down the crease of the middle of the box. Then I just lift the tape up and angle it down so that it slowly peels away from the plastic outer case. Works every time and never damages the plastic. Also helps when the cover isn't lined up. By slightly pulling away the clear plastic, it usually prevents the cover from getting damaged. Just my .2 cents.
Old 05-16-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by matome
yea I don't know why that bothers me but it does. off the top of my head my Jay and Silent Bob, Re-Animator, and Royal Tenenbaums covers were all a lot longer than the keepcase clear cover.

I'm really anal about my DVDs as well. If I'm buying anything new out of a store, I usually check to make sure there are no dings, or whatever on it (Alias season 1 and 2 come to mind), just because since I am paying for something I usually want the best possible condition. Thats not wrong is it?
Old 05-16-04, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)

...stupid dent on Alien Quadrilogy box,
I doubt there's anyone who doesn't have some type of problem with their Alien Quad packaging. That set is one giant manufacturing error. If it wasn't a skipping disc (which I FINALLY resolved), it was big dents in the case or the plastic trays coming unglued. I'd love for FOX to provide replacements cases for that atrocity.
Old 05-16-04, 10:38 PM

Re: Do finger nail nicks and warped cases tick you off to no end?

Originally posted by scott1598
Warping over time and those damn nail nicks from trying to ever so gently tear off the security sticker on the top and often times 3 sides of the DVD case. I try hard not to, but sometimes the glue is just impenetrable. It is so frustrating...
God, I can't STAND those security stickers! I've tried to develop a method where I don't mess up the plastic, but I still always manage somehow to do it on a few. It really bugs me, as well. I also hate it when the paper cover is sticking out just a bit from the plastic, and it gets scuffed on the shelf.

I also hate the fading that goes along with removing and replacing DVDs from tightly packed shelves.
Old 05-16-04, 11:32 PM

I hate the damn security stickers. I could almost see the need for one, but 3??? It's riduculous especially since it's already sealed in plastic. I have an easier time getting medication out of a bottle.

I know I have at least 3 or 4 ruined case covers just becasue of the security stickers.

When are they going to wake up and realize this pisses off the consumer?
Old 05-16-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

when people stop buying them because of those stupid things.

but people continue to buy and they keep getting rich so why should they care?
Old 05-17-04, 09:13 AM

amen to all these posts. i am glad to see i am not the only anal one. i mean it really does bother me to such proportions...i hate that!
Pulling My Hair Out
Old 05-17-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I replaced some of my cases by buying some at Target. A 10 pack of empty cases was like $6.99 or so. This doesn't help special edition sleeves or 2-disk editions, but you might want to look into it.

I bought mine to replace Blockbuster PPV cases. I hate their PPV cases!

When I bought Shrek, it had that stupid promo sticker on it, when I tried to remove it, it left sticky stuff all over it.

I bought Zoolander for my girlfriend and when she tried to open it, she tore off the clear plastic on the case. I replaced it with one of the cases I got from Target. Looks good as new now.

Last edited by RockStrongo; 05-17-04 at 09:26 AM.