Community
Search

Last Samurai DVD quality ... pretty bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Samurai DVD quality ... pretty bad

I rented it and the quality is really disapointing. The video is somewhat blurry throughout the movie that I couldn't concentrate on the movie (S video, Panasonic player and Panasonic 27" tv). I kept squinting, wondering if it was just me all along. I popped in Boondock Saints and that had better video. The audio mostly comes from the front speakers and feels like a 2.0 (JVC HTIB, Master and Commander sounded really good, if not, the best). I was going to buy this movie as it was one of my favs from last year but after renting it, I'll wait for a better version.
Old 05-02-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. Both DVDTalk reviewers gave it high marks. 4/5 from one and 4.5/5 for the other, both in the video category. I know I'm still buying it Tuesday.
Old 05-02-04, 12:14 AM

Hmm, makes me want to crack mine open to give it a look.
Old 05-02-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Last Samurai DVD quality ... pretty bad

Originally posted by matrixrok9
I rented it and the quality is really disapointing. The video is somewhat blurry throughout the movie that I couldn't concentrate on the movie (S video, Panasonic player and Panasonic 27" tv). I kept squinting, wondering if it was just me all along. I popped in Boondock Saints and that had better video. The audio mostly comes from the front speakers and feels like a 2.0 (JVC HTIB, Master and Commander sounded really good, if not, the best). I was going to buy this movie as it was one of my favs from last year but after renting it, I'll wait for a better version.
Are you entirely sure it was a legitimate release? I haven't rented a movie in ages - but back in the day, they used to be pretty strict about not breaking street date.
Old 05-02-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah it was legitimate, my local video stores rents em out one week before the release date. What I noticed about the first review and the review at htf is that they used a plasma tv, maybe it looks good on a plasma and crap on a regular tv?
Old 05-02-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked it up last week (don't ask, connection) and it was rather good in quality if I don't say so for myself. I'm not using a plasma and my copy just was cool as it was.
Old 05-02-04, 05:51 AM
Banned

I bought it last Thurs and watched it Friday...and was amazed at the quality...the picture was just goregous and the sound enveloping...
Old 05-02-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Perhaps someone subbed in a boot for the real version?
Old 05-02-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have read nothing bu good reviews and threads about this title. Perhaps as mentioned you actually watched a boot-leg version.

Hmmm...you really could be a Tom Cruise hater in disguise trying to wreck sales of his movie....

Last edited by tacomantt; 05-02-04 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-02-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had this for almost a month (real retail, not bootleg) and I can honestly say, I see no problems whatsoever with the video.
Old 05-02-04, 10:59 AM
sdk

I got my copy a week ago. i was not impressed with the image quality. Audio was good tho. But for a new movie i was disapointed
Old 05-02-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you need glasses, I watched it just two nights ago on two different TVs and the picture was very clean.
Old 05-02-04, 12:30 PM

"Yeah it was legitimate, my local video stores rents em out one week before the release date."

Well, somebody's been a naughty video store.

"What I noticed about the first review and the review at htf is that they used a plasma tv, maybe it looks good on a plasma and crap on a regular tv?"

I cannot think of a reason that this would be the case. I popped it in our monitor yesterday at work to see what aspect ratio it was (having missed it at the theater) and it looked fine.
That being said, I would reeally be wary of a video store that consistently violates street date. They are intentionally committing an unfair trade practice and I would question how they are able to get the product that early every week.
Old 05-02-04, 01:02 PM
Banned

How are you all even getting it this early anyway? It doesn't officially come out till this coming Tuesday.
Old 05-02-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a non-plasma TV for my review, and really had no complaints whatsoever. Sure, it's not the best visual presentation I've seen, but it's nowhere near as bad as you described. It's gotta be a bootleg or something!
Old 05-02-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
I would say that any video store that, as POLICY, rents out well ahead of street date probably would not be above bootlegging copies. Don't know if that's the case, but wouldn't surprise me.
Old 05-02-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Not to be a smartass, but had your eyes checked recently?
Old 05-02-04, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Got it yesterday - looks great - easily 4/5. Not perfect, but really nice.

The audio is also very enveloping. Sounds like you rented a boot.
Old 05-02-04, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Not to be a smartass, but had your eyes checked recently?
i'll bet he can drive in his home state too??!?!?!?
Old 05-02-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

you need to adjust your tv or your eyes.

this had one of the best,clearest, sharpest i have ever seen.

the edge enhancment was this ---> <--- close to not existing.
Old 05-02-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Last Samurai DVD quality ... pretty bad

Originally posted by whotony
you need to adjust your tv or your eyes.

this had one of the best,clearest, sharpest i have ever seen.

the edge enhancment was this ---> <--- close to not existing.
Matrix Revolutions, BHD, LOTR and TTT looks really clear on my tv. The tv and my eyes do not need adjustment since I checked out BHD after all the comments you guys wrote and that one is still very good. My friend is getting it this Tuesday, I'll check his out and see if there is a difference from the one I rented. Thanks for the comments as I really wanted to get this DVD.
Old 05-02-04, 09:37 PM
Banned

Sounds like you got a bootleg, dude.
Old 05-02-04, 11:43 PM

the picture quality is somewhat blurry? well ill try to believe ya, but i cant imagine a dvd being somewhat BLURRY.. i mean.. some of my VHS tape from the 90s arent BLURRY..

hopefully (for your sake too, ya know) it was a bootleg, sounds kinda fishy that your rental place would let them loose a week early anyway..

im really looking forward to this release myself, even though it will be a blind buy.. ive got a lot of confidence in it though
Old 05-03-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know about other places, but disc one of the ones we got at HW video have an impression(almost a watermark) stating that it is a rental copy only--not for re-sale. I thought it was strange when I saw it, and I wonder if it would be the cause of what you were experiencing. I kinda doubt it, but it was the first time I had ever seen Warner stamp thier dvd's like that.

r
Old 05-03-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seems like it's a bootleg. That video store you rent from sounds real shady...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.