Community
Search

I Love Lucy: Season 2 delayed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Love Lucy: Season 2 delayed

I'm just full of good news tonight, aren't I?

Another release delayed... from TVShowsOnDVD.com:
Back in February, we posted this news that this week would see the release of I Love Lucy - Season 2. Since then, we became aware of a delay and that there was no new date.

Now the "Still In Love With Lucy" column at LucyFan.com, written by the always-wonderful Thomas Watson, had this to say the other day about the package's delay:

Lucy DVDs Rescheduled

The second-season boxed set of "I Love Lucy" DVDs and "The Best of 'Here's Lucy'" DVD collection have both been rescheduled for release in August of this year.

Paramount Home Video will release "I Love Lucy: The Complete Second Season" on August 31. While the final retail price has not been announced, we expect it to be substantially lower than that for the first-season set, which included 9 discs of 4-episodes each. The second-season package will include 5 discs, each holding 6-7 episodes.

Shout! Home Video, meanwhile, has announced it will release "The Best of 'Here's Lucy'" on August 10 -- but this has not yet been confirmed by the package producer. We will keep you updated as more information is known.

In regard to the Here's Lucy release, we're actually getting an August 17th release date based on a DVDEmpire pre-order listing that we talked about in this news story.

But the I Love Lucy date seems to be confirmed by a source in-the-know. Andrew Budgell posted this over at the Home Theater Forum:

I just got word from Gregg Oppenheimer, via the "I Love Lucy Yahoo Group" that Paramount has I Love Lucy: Season Two slated for an August 31st, 2004 release date. According to Gregg, Season Two will be considerably cheaper than Season One - thank goodness!! Its also nice to know that it will be a more compact size. I just hope that the bonus features will continue to be present on the next six seasons.

We hope so too, Andy! Well, if Gregg (the keep of his father's legacy where I Love Lucy is concerned) is agreeing with the practically-never-wrong Tom Watson, then that makes us feel a lot better! Paramount will be announcing their August slate in the not-too-distant future, so stay tuned and we'll see what the word is from them.

Also, be aware that Columbia House - which gets to sell I Love Lucy episodes to subscribers before they hit retail - are already working on Season 3! So there will be more Lucy DVDs to love, eventually. Stay tuned!!
I hope they're planning to make the Season 1 set "considerably cheaper" and "a more compact size" eventually too. I've held off on buying it, to see if they will.

BTW, I'm definitely buying the Here's Lucy set. I normally try to avoid best-of sets, but I don't need every episode of Here's Lucy, and the extras sound fantastic.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 05-12-04 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to own some of the Lucy sets, but not at the price they want for the first season. A smaller package would be nice too.
Old 05-13-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The consensus seems to be that the Season 2 set will be cheaper, and smaller, than the Season 1 set. BTW, the 4-disc Here's Lucy set has an SRP of $34.98.

Rob
Old 05-13-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, wish they wouls make S1 more like a "regular" season set instead of just schlepping together 9 individual discs that were once sold separately.

If they did, I would definately but it, but in its current form, no way.

Will definately pick up S2 upon release.
Old 05-13-04, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here. I won't get season 1 at that price. Probably won't get season 2 until they lower the price on season 1 either. I would want to get them in order.
Old 06-30-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sadly, I'll probably be holding out on these until season 1 gets released in the same format as season 2. Multiple disc releases is what kept me from purchasing The Twilight Zone and Star Trek: The Original Series.
Old 07-01-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Season 2 of I Love Lucy is $44.09 with Share The Love at Amazon.

Certainly not cheap but better then Season 1.