Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Movie posters: How about posters from video stores?

Old 05-12-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a video store today, one in Ingles actually, and they had a bunch of posters for $1 each. They take their posters and offer them to people to make room for the new ones, so it's pretty cool. These are obviously the posters that say "Now on DVD" and that sort of thing. Here is my question to you people.

Do you hang posters like that up since you can get them for cheap most of the time, or do you just pay the extra cash to get the actual sort of poster that you would see in the theater.

A simple question I'm sure, but I'm just currious. I bought posters for Kill Bill Vol 1, Master and Commander, Down With Love, and Big Fish today, all for $4, so I thought that was a pretty good deal.
Old 05-12-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've done both... It all depends or your personal likes.
Old 05-12-04, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get posters from Suncoast and all their clearance posters suck. All of em that I've got from there are $8.99, the last one was a Kill Bill one that looks pretty sweet on my wall above my DVD rack

If it looks good, hang it up.
Old 05-13-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts
Back when I used to rent, I got a couple posters from Blockbuster for free. I talked to the manager and he told me which day they put up new ones and all I had to do was talk to him on the day after by noon.

But YMMV
Old 05-13-04, 12:28 AM
Suspended

I love the ones behind the bus stop advertisement glass. Those are the best IMO. Pretty expensive too.
Old 05-13-04, 02:22 AM
Banned

In the 80's my local vhs rental had them in a box you could grab for free.
Old 05-13-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Back when I used to work at blockbuster I would take all those posters. Half of them that they recieved never saw the light of day in the store and were tossed daily. I'm willing to bet if you ask your local store you can score some posters.
Old 05-13-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,399 Posts
My parents used to have a video store, and we just gave them away to the first person who asked to "reserve" a particular poster (of course, I kept a lot for myself too, along with standees ). The only one that I actually have hanging up at this point is a Pulp Fiction one (never got around to getting the theatrical one sheet to replace it).

I love the ones behind the bus stop advertisement glass. Those are the best IMO. Pretty expensive too.
Those ones are cool. I like really big posters like that, but they are harder to display. I just won a Kill Bill banner that 5 feet by 8 feet. I haven't figured out yet how the hell I'm going to display that.
Old 05-13-04, 05:28 AM

I have tons of them from my days working in video stores, Dead Man, Mallrats, Swingers, Party Girl, and I must admit, I have never hung them. I'm much more partial to theatrical release posters, or bus stop posters. I have the bus stop poster from Iron Giant and it is the most beautifully printed poster I have ever come across.
Old 05-13-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I myself will onll frame and display theatrical (or reproduction) posters. But then again I'm a snob
Old 05-13-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to hang up video store posters all of the time in my room ... it was like a rotatiing collection that changed every few weeks. However, since I no longer rent, I'm "stuck" with buying originals or reproductions.