Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Now that Swamp Thing has been added to the re-release list, anyone know if it will be

Now that Swamp Thing has been added to the re-release list, anyone know if it will be

Old 05-11-04, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UNCUT like the recalled version?
Old 05-11-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 920 Posts
Which sites have it listed?
Old 05-11-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this the annual Swamp Thing release thread?

Not that I've been here over a year, but if memory serves, Swamp Thing has been TBD for years now...
Old 05-11-04, 07:43 PM

Its in the dvd talk re-release thread. check the last page, it was just announced
Old 05-11-04, 10:52 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hope it will be anamorphic.
Old 05-11-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember seeing this dvd when it first came out at FYE. I so wished I had bought that now.
Old 05-11-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was lucky to find a copy at my local BB for $8.99 a week after it was recalled. Went next door and they had 4 copies. Sold them to a few friends who wanted to have it in their collection... It would be nice to see a full SE of the film, uncut or not.
Old 05-11-04, 11:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
So like babka asked, will this be the Rated PG or international version?
Old 05-12-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what was the story again, as i remeber, some bitch (sorry) rented this for her kids, and found nudity in the movie, complained to ballbuster and they somehow got it recalled because it had the wrong rating?
Old 05-12-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yup

it was only a couple of boobs & some violant killing
Old 05-12-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nope..it was only the breasts,not the violence that caused sheltered pathetic soccer mom to have a seizer and start fuming to BB,who then contacted the studio or something..& recalled it after being on the shelves for 2 years(!).

Ahh what a crock of shit that was,as usual nudity is worse than violence to many..despite her claims of 'protecting' her kids from violence as well. Hahahahahahah...she must not have seen the first hour of the film which has plenty of strong violence...before any glimpse of a few breasts are seen(briefly)!
Old 05-12-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're gonna see boobs eventually, what's the harm?
Old 05-12-04, 01:32 AM
Banned

why do so many people care about this release? Swamp thing is one of the boringest movies I've ever seen.
Old 05-12-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why do so many people care about this release?
- Wes Craven fans
- comic book fans
- Adrienne Barbeau's breasts fans
- people don't like to be told "You can't do that", so when the DVD got recalled, people were upset because it was an angry over-protective mother who was being so over-protective that it affected them (at least in theory) and, thus, bothered them.

Those are off the top of my head; I agree with you, I'm not a fan, though I dig Craven enough that I'd give a good DVD a look.

And, for the record, MGM (or whoever it was) *had* to recall the DVDs, because they were incorrectly representing the rating of the film, which violates MPAA policy. As soon as they were notified as to what had happened, they had to do that, because they're affiliated with the MPAA. Those are the rules that MGM agreed to. The MPAA itself has a lot of stupid rules, but there you go. Get mad at them, it wasn't really MGM's fault. (Although it was MGM who decided to market it to kids, and had to make it PG to compensate.)
Old 05-12-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts
I thought that another issue was that MGM might not have had the rights to the international cut of the film.
Old 05-12-04, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rypro 525
what was the story again, as i remeber, some bitch (sorry) rented this for her kids, and found nudity in the movie, complained to ballbuster and they somehow got it recalled because it had the wrong rating?
Lotta class dude. It studio lied on the box cover and you call her a bitch because she made some noise.
Old 05-12-04, 01:54 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by majorjoe23
I thought that another issue was that MGM might not have had the rights to the international cut of the film.
Ultimately, yeah, that's the "legal" reason it's off the shelves. The Blockbuster/Breast thing was more egg than chicken and why they couldn't just put "Rated R" stickers on the exisiting discs.
Old 05-12-04, 02:24 PM
Banned

Someone told me to buy it because it was going OOP, but didn't tell me why to buy it. So I didn't, then later I found out about the uncut stuff, I was so pissed I didn't buy it.

But, I'm a huge Wes Craven fan and hope to see a special edition of this, or at least just a commentary
Old 05-12-04, 03:24 PM

I doubt it is an 'international version rights' issue. Since more than likely MGM had the rights to the film itself prior to being rated. It recieved an R,so they cut down those two brief bits of breasts...and got a PG instead and released that.

So MGM if they wanted to,could release it uncut,they would just have to either get it rerated or go out unrated. They ended up using the original PG on the packaging..and two years later,some overprotective sheltering mom thinks it is the end of the word that her kids saw some breasts.

I am sure if she saw the cut PG version,she would still bitch to the high heavens,since you do still get a tease at Adrienes breasts.

Remember nudity is evil,violence aok!
Old 05-12-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Julie Walker
I doubt it is an 'international version rights' issue. Since more than likely MGM had the rights to the film itself prior to being rated.
No, they didn't. MGM didn't release this theatrically in 1982 and only acquired the rights to the film within the past 5 years or so. The previous editions were released by Embassy Pictures Corporation.

So, it is entirely possible/probable that MGM had no rights to anything other than the U.S. cut of the film.

Either way, as has been mentioned, MGM cannot leave a DVD on the market with an incorrect rating. Even if they did have the rights to the version released, they'd have to either release it as unrated or resubmit to the MPAA to get an R.
Old 05-12-04, 04:23 PM

Personally I think Swamp Thing uncut is PG-13 material.

But you know the MPAA,breasts=NC-17
Old 05-12-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Julie -- it isn't just 'breasts'. One of the guys walks over to the stripper, cups a breast, and then begins sucking on a nipple.

That's R material, any way you cut it. They can show quite a decent amount of nudity and get away with a PG-13. But once you get into touching, fondling, etc... you're heading for an R.
Old 05-12-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was no such thing as PG-13 when 'Swamp Thing' came out.

Bbo, are you sure about the cupping? I only ask because I've never heard that; I've never seen the international R-rated cut, but I've always heard there were two cuts; one was a full-on shot of Adrienne's breasts, the other was a shot of a few gypsys or strippers or something starting to undress. (I assume the latter was where the cupping was?)

Regardless, though, Julie's right on at least one specific count, in that the mother who complained to Blockbuster *specifically* complained about Adrienne Barbeau's breasts and said that that sort of thing didn't belong in a PG-rated movie. She didn't mention the other shot at all.
Old 05-12-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Hey guys! Thanks for reminding me about this... My high school drama teacher is one of the government agents at the very beginning of "Return of Swamp Thing" - he's the one that talks! I'll have to pick this up sometime! He was also Stonewall Jackson in "North and South"... hehehehehe!

Yes - this post has nothing to do with the original "Swamp Thing".
Old 05-12-04, 10:47 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Blockbuster *specifically* complained about Adrienne Barbeau's breasts and said that that sort of thing didn't belong in a PG-rated movie. She didn't mention the other shot at all.
Actually, you're incorrect. This story broke in Dallas. In the newspaper, she's quoted describing the party scene.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.