Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone else buying up a DVD collection in order to do away with cable?

Old 05-11-04, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge fan of old TV shows. Recently I have begun buying DVD TV shows like THE FLINTSTONES, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, THE HONEYMOONERS, I LOVE LUCY, GREEN ACRES, GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, etc, etc...well you get the idea. My ultimate goal is to own all my favorite TV shows, that I know I watch over and over again, and eventually (after buying every season of these shows) I can do away with my cable TV. Am I alone in this thinking? How many others here only have interest in older TV shows, and have started their own DVD collection with the intention of one day no longer needing to rent cable TV?
Old 05-11-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did away with cable about 7 months ago, and haven't looked back. I get all the "news" I need to know about from AOL and the paper, and don't watch regular television at all anymore. Between tv on DVD and my relatively small 340+ DVD movie collection, I am good to go, as far as I am concerned.

When we had it, cable was a little used unncessary expense.
Old 05-11-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the channels I watch on my cable TV have things other than sitcoms... like news, sports, History Channel, BET on Jazz, MTV, VH1, CSPAN, etc. etc. ..... so I'll keep my cable, thank you.
Old 05-11-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No way. Cable is my friend.
Old 05-11-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Some of the channels I watch on my cable TV have things other than sitcoms... like news, sports, History Channel, BET on Jazz, MTV, VH1, CSPAN, etc. etc. ..... so I'll keep my cable, thank you.
Exactly.
Old 05-11-04, 04:22 PM

How can you live without cable?! You never watch any sports?

Ferret
Old 05-11-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts
When I moved, I didn't bother getting cable, since I have such a large DVD collection. I miss The Daily Show and Justice League, but I hardly remembered to watch them when I had cable.
Old 05-11-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Ferret
How can you live without cable?! You never watch any sports?
1. Very easily, with an extra $50 in my pocket every month for DVDs!

2. Nope. Thankfully, I have NEVER been into sports. Last thing I remember is Pat Riley coaching the Lakers with Kareem and Larry Bird head to head on the court.

I am not kidding.
Old 05-11-04, 04:34 PM
Suspended

Unfortunately, current TV shows are not up to par with DVD release of the shows. I would miss everything that's happening now in order to wait for it to arrive on DVD.

Therefore, it's unlikely a good move to switch to DVD only and get rid of cable.
Old 05-11-04, 04:47 PM

I haven't done away with my cable, but I have downgraded from standard to basic. So I get the main networks, Discovery, and a couple super stations, but no CNN, Spike, MTV, etc.

Having movies and TV shows on DVD certainly helps.

I just realized how much I was spending, for so much I wasn't watching. Most of what I want from TV I can get with just basic. About all I miss is South Park, and I won't get to see the new Battlestar Galactica series on SciFi unless I get someone to tape it for me.

But overall, paying for standard cable was just a waste. I hope ala carte cable becomes a reality someday, so I can pick what channels I want and pay only for them.
Old 05-11-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have thought of this, I just need to install an antenna on my roof, this would let me get HDTV with out having to adjust my Powered Antenna on top of my TV.
Old 05-11-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm anti- T.V. programming outside of sports, so that's the only reason I still have cable. My parents forbid TV in my house as a kid, aside from sports, growing up I wasn't allowed to watch TV, my family didn't get cable until I was 15 years old & that was only b/c of sports & we didn't even have a color TV until I was about 9-10.

What very little TV I did watch (Simpsons, but haven't seen a new one in years, Farscape) was replaced buy DVD watching. I was always a movie fanatic, but never got into TV. TV is just, dumb for lack of a better term. Regular programs, as good as a few may start out, just get so repetitive & there is only so much you can do w/ a TV show. I could never commit to a weekly show, & I hate commercials. I have a few TV shows on DVD, (Mr. Show, Simpsons, Farscape ) but aside from those I can't even understand how so many people here with hundreds of DVDs, buy so many TV shows on DVD. How can one have time to watch all of them.

But, if there is one thing I've learned, especially from this forum, is that I am definitely in the minority not watching television.

Last edited by Sessa17; 05-11-04 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 04:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
no way, I just don't subsribe to the preminum movie channels. I can't be missing "Comedy Channel"
Old 05-11-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never gonna get rid of cable. I do watch sports.
Old 05-11-04, 05:00 PM
Retired

Nope. I watch too much sports to not have cable/Satellite.
Old 05-11-04, 05:00 PM

I don't give a shit about anything on TV except Fox News and HBO original programming. However, we get a deal through my wife's employment and get all of Cox Communications Orange County lineup for $30 and three digital converters included...so why dump that kind of deal?
Old 05-11-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I miss the Travel Channel (gotta love Samantha Brown), Game Show Network (I admit that I'm a dork), TV Land, and occasionally TNT (really liked drama in the daytime programming), but still no regrets.
Old 05-11-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If nothing else, wouldn't it be needed to "audition" shows for possible DVD purchases? TV show sets can be expensive blind buys.
Old 05-11-04, 05:07 PM

I haven't paid for cable in about 8 years. There have been times when I have had it simply because a roommate has paid for it or because it was included in my rent, but I don't ever watch TV. I've never once in my life "followed" a show, meaning watched it more or less weekly. And I've never watched more than 30 minutes of a televised sporting event, with the exception of the Michigan-Duke NCAA final game some years ago. If it weren't for DVDs and videogames, I wouldn't own a TV at all.
Old 05-11-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
If nothing else, wouldn't it be needed to "audition" shows for possible DVD purchases? TV show sets can be expensive blind buys.
There's always eBay.

No joke, you (as well as all of us) are more DVD savvy then the average consumer, and utilize the resources provided on this board to get some pretty killer deals on DVDs. Given that, even after "auditioning" the tv season set first, you can usually turn it on eBay for a little more, a little less, or about the same as what you paid. It's a win-win situation, so long as you take good care of your DVDs (and who on this board doesn't
Old 05-11-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Basic cable is all I need --- no movie channels for sure. I would MUCH rather watch a DVD.
Old 05-11-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No possible way. I need it for ESPN. I watch Sportscenter or ESPN News all the time (Well I guess I could go to ESPN.com) but there's stuff that's exclusive to cable like basketball and baseball games.

Plus, I watch a lot of those MTV shows (Real World, etc.) that will never get completely released on DVD. Plus, those are shows that I wouldn't wanna watch more than once anyway.
Old 05-11-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

we have a dish and at one point...had every channel out there. a few years ago I dumped all the movie channels, except for TCM and IFC. anymore, the only things I watch are sports. I have to have my Nascar and other racing, NFL, NBA and classic sports replays.

I have way too many dvds/films to be watching them on tv. although I am glad I got to watch The Spiral Staircase the other night.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-11-04 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Next year I'll either have no cable or basic for $6/mo. There's no way I'm going to shell out $50/mo for the normal 60-channel deal. This year it's been okay since I've got 5 people living in my apartment to split costs, but yah, I don't think I want/need it enough to for it next year...I waste all my money on DVDs as it is, and have enough to keep me entertained at this point.
Old 05-11-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts
there isn't much on cable that I like, so if my plans on moving to my own place next year holds up, I might just get basic for re-runs of stuff like Home Improvement, The Simpsons, Fresh Prince of Bel Air and so on. having a slowly growing DVD collection definately helps the need to not watch cable a lot.

oh and ESPN is a MUST

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.