Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get ripped off by FRCMarketing for Criterion Charade?

Old 05-11-04, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before the re-release of the Criterion Charade, Criterion had a link on their web site for owners of the first edition of Charade to get the rerelease at a discount.

My neighbour and I both owned it and wanted to take advantage of the sale but the shipping for one dvd (to Canada) was $6.95. The site allowed visitors to change the quantity so we ordered ours together and the shipping for both was only $8.95 so that's what we did.

However, when the package arrived there was only one copy of the movie inside, along with an invoice for two copies and shipping for two copies.

I have now emailed FRCMarketing (the people who handled the deal for Criterion and whose name is on the invoice) NINE TIMES. Not a single response from the company. I telephoned them long distance on my dime... answering machine. Left a message--no call back.

I have also emailed Criterion twice about the issue... no response.

Am I the only one who got suckered by these people?

As someone who now has 102 Criterions (and counting), I am really disappointed at how I've been treated and am shocked that Criterion would get in bed with a company as unprofessional as FRCMarketing.

I'm going to be putting together a web site listing the dates and including the emails I sent to both companies along with copies of the invoice. Before I do this, I wanted to see if there was anyone else that wanted to add their voice.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good luck...sounds like bullshit! Shame they are treating you this way.
Old 05-11-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the original Criterion Charade, and know they are re-releasing it with more features. But I didn't know one can get the new one at a discount. Is this stuff available? Could you tell us the link?
Old 05-11-04, 01:37 PM

I just now spoke to my CC company who say they're gonna deal with it. However, I'm still going to put together the site as I want anyone searching for FRCMarketing to know how shady they are.

mookie, the offer was on Criterion's web site and was only prior to the re-release of Charade, which was April 6.
Old 05-11-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...and if you live in the US, you can get it cheaper at DDD or DVD Planet anyway - Criterion's bargain price was 29.99 (25% off).
Old 05-11-04, 01:50 PM

actually, the price was $24.95, but whatever.
Old 05-11-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it was a ripoff from the beginning. As you can get Charade online cheaper at a few e-tailers. I was surprised that Criterion had a link on their website to such a shady website.
Old 05-11-04, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Yeah - but just think: chargeback = FREE DVD! If you are feeling really bad, split the cost of the new one with your neighbour, and you'll both come out a winner.
Old 05-11-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So who keeps the dvd, you or the neighbor?
Old 05-11-04, 11:07 PM

Mastercard has said they'll only refund half the price. I kept the DVD. After waiting for a response from these people, my neighbour just bought from DVD planet.

The stupid thing is, FRCMarketing is a marketing company but they seem oblivious to how bad word of mouth online can be detrimental to their business.
Old 05-12-04, 10:46 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Chance are no one will know if they're ordering through a marketing company, though, since the studio will usually make arrangements with them and take care of the promotional aspect of the deal themselves.

So you could have to deal with this company again without even realising it.

And yes, the Criterion "deal" on this title was awful - around $25 for the disc, plus $7 to ship it - meanwhile, you could get it at DVD Planet for $25.95. There was supposed to be a "deal" for those who bought the original disc, but at that awful $32 price (shipped), they left it open to everyone.