Search

Dallas: Seasons 1 & 2 coming August 24th

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dallas: Seasons 1 & 2 coming August 24th

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:
Video Business magazine has a new report up today (free registration required) about the upcoming release of Dallas. We'll let Jennifer Netherby's short-but-excellent article speak for itself:
Remember who shot J.R.?
Seminal soap Dallas comes to DVD
By Jennifer Netherby 5/10/2004

MAY 10 | J.R. Ewing and the catfights are back at Southfork.

Dallas--the Complete First and Second Season makes its soapy debut on DVD Aug. 24 from Warner Home Video. Prebook is July 27, and the DVD has a $49.98 SRP.

The five-disc DVD set of the primetime soap, which ran for 13 years and earned a spot in pop culture history, includes all 29 episodes and the Soaptalk Dallas Reunion featurette with Southfork stars Larry Hagman (J.R.), Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray and Charlene Tilton.

Hagman, Tilton and creator David Jacobs give commentary for the pilot and other episodes.
29 episodes means the 5-part mini-series that consisted of the "1st Season", plus the 24 episodes from Season 2. Stay tuned, and we'll have more details about this - and cover art - just as soon as Warner Home Video provides it.

Hopefully this will pave the way for the 3rd Season on DVD, which ends with the famous episode "A House Divided". That's the one which provided the classic "Who Shot J.R.?" cliffhanger.
Old 05-11-04, 02:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which season was the one that was all a dream, where the season cliff-hanger is Bobby taking a shower?
Old 05-11-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season 9: http://www.tvtome.com/Dallas/season9.html#ep222

Rob
Old 05-11-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

C'mon Dynasty! Show me Dynasty! MUST...HAVE...DYNASTY...
Old 05-11-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i'm all over this!
Old 05-11-04, 04:39 PM

Who here thinks that they will actually release all the seasons of Dallas? With so many damn TV shows coming out on DVD I can't help but wonder how many of them will see more than one or two seasons released on DVD...any opinions?
Old 05-11-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not sure about this one. I never watched the show when it was one, but my grandparents were big fans (not necessarily a good thing).

I may pick it up down the line, but it is not on my most wanted list.

Glad to see it coming out, though. As we all know, every new release opens the door for many, many more!
Old 05-11-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dacoops3
Who here thinks that they will actually release all the seasons of Dallas? With so many damn TV shows coming out on DVD I can't help but wonder how many of them will see more than one or two seasons released on DVD...any opinions?
I see your point. Here is an old thread where I started a similar discussion all about this topic. Very annoying when shows aren't completed.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=342581

At least L&O S2 is finally coming out. Only 1.5 years late.
Old 05-11-04, 05:25 PM

There is NO question, in my mind, that (in this particular "Dallas" case) Warner's will release AT LEAST two more seasons of "Dallas".

Why? Obvious, of course .... Because people buying this series at all are going to want to get the 1979-1980 "JR's Shot!" cliffhanger, PLUS the resolution to the cliffhanger, the "Who Done It?" episode, which resides in the following season.

WB would be idiotic to the max if they failed to realize this. They should know (and surely do) that those two seasons are the most sought-after by collectors. And even if this first set sells like a lead balloon, we'll STILL see the following two seasons (IMO).

I think you can put a bet down on at least two more "Dallas" volumes coming up.

Last edited by davidvp; 05-11-04 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More info from www.tvshowsondvd.com including cover art (not final):

One of the deciding factors in displaying this early artwork is the confusion we've received over the title "Dallas - The Complete First and Second Seasons. According to e-mail and other feedback we've gotten, it looks like many fans count the first five episodes as a separate mini-series and do not call those five episodes "Season 1". To them, "Season 1" is the season that happened with the 24 episodes after the mini-series, and "Season 2" is the one that ended with J.R. getting shot.

Warner is not counting it that way. The "Season 1" is definately being counted as the five-episode miniseries, consisting of episodes to expect on this release: "Digger's Daughter", "Lessons", "Spy in the House", "Winds of Vengence", and "Barbeque".

Season 2 episodes, according to Warner, are "Reunion (Part 1)", "Reunion (Part 2)", "Old Acquaintance", "Bypass", "Black Market Baby", "Double Wedding", "Runaway", "Election", "Survival", "Act of Love", "Triangle", "Fallen Idol", "Kidnapped", "Home Again", "For Love or Money", "Julie's Return", "The Red File (Part 1)", "The Red File (Part 2)", "Sue Ellen's Sister", "Callgirl", "Royal Marriage", "The Outsiders", "John Ewing III (Part 1)", and "John Ewing III (Part 2)".

While fans are free to debate those classifications, we are trying to clear up the content of the DVD set, and state that the 29 episodes listed above are what is going to be found on these 5 discs. Popular online episodes guides like those at EpGuides.com and TVTome.com are consistant with those classifications. Note that, by the reckoning above, Season 3 is the one that ends with "A House Divided", where J.R. Ewing is shot in the classic cliffhanger. We hope that it's clear. We're not trying to upset any of our readers; we're just trying to explain what to expect on these DVDs (and stop some of the e-mails we've been getting!).

Just to sum up the known-so-far facts: 29 episodes on 5 discs, and it seems to have a running time (per the graphic above) of 1450 minutes. SRP is $49.98, and it streets on August 24th. Extras known to be included are the the "Soaptalk Dallas Reunion" featurette with stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray and Charlene Tilton, plus audio commentary tracks by Hagman, Tilton and creator David Jacobs.
Old 05-11-04, 10:36 PM
Banned

I never understood the following of shows like this and others like Dynasty. Weren't they just primetime versions of daytime soaps? Or perhaps the '70s-'80s versions of Dawsons Creek, etc?
Old 05-12-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cool !
Old 05-14-04, 09:49 PM

Up for Pre-Order at Amazon.

Last edited by davidvp; 05-14-04 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-15-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is a very reasonable price for the set. And I started a STL thread for anyone interested in saving 10% at Amazon.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=364330
Old 05-22-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by mljones99
i'm all over this!
Old 05-23-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Since this is a "Dallas" thread, I thought that I should post a few of my pics taken last month when I was visiting Plano, TX on business. Sorry to those that might feel that this does not belong in this folder, but I couldn't resist. Needless to say, I have for a very long time been looking forward to finally this TV show coming to DVD.