Search

Highlander 2 SE coming whether you want it or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highlander 2 SE coming whether you want it or not

From DVDfile:

July 20th
"Now newly remastered with "enhanced and reimagined visual effects" and a Dolby Digital EX soundtrack is Highlander 2: The Quickening. This two-disc set includes the "Renegade Version" of the film, plus a branching feature that takes viewers to additional behind-the-scenes vignettes, three new featurettes ("The Redemption Of Highlander 2," "The Fabric Of Highlander 2 " and "Shadow & Darkness: The Cinematography Of Highlander 2"), the original Cannes promo reel and theatrical trailers."

Last edited by stinkeye; 05-10-04 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-10-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
You can take a turd and goldplate it and spray perfume on it all you want...when you're done, all you have is a shiny, aromatic turd.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 05-10-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-10-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Isn't the renegade version already available on DVD? Sounds like they are just including a second disc with bonus features.
Old 05-10-04, 10:54 AM

Son of a bitch! Looks like they have finally decided to cash in on my "Must-Have" ideal for all things Highlander. And I just finally bought H2 a few months ago, too!
Old 05-10-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is probably at the top of the list of "SEs that no one is asking for..."
Old 05-10-04, 11:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
This is probably at the top of the list of "SEs that no one is asking for..."
Yeah, I'll agree with that. No way in hell am I going to buy this.
Old 05-10-04, 11:40 AM

So I take it, this is still not the FULL VERSION! tut tut whats the point then! theres a french cut running far longer, guess they just dont want to find any of the footage lost to the rest of the world.

and the Renegade versions nice for the up agaionst a wall bang, with Viginia Madsen and Mr Lambert.
Old 05-10-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh the Renegade version was not that bad of a flick...I will probably pick this up...
Old 05-10-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
There was no movie called "Highlander 2." Nope, simply doesn't exist. They just went from the first one right to the third one.
Old 05-10-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I'm curious, is the hatred for the Renegade version as opposed to the theatrical cut, or just the movie in general?

I was always under the impression that the Renegade version was supposed to be much better than the original theatrical version that was finished and released without the director's involvement.
Old 05-10-04, 04:30 PM
Banned

Well, call me crazy, but I actually liked the Renegade Version. Thought it was much better than the original edit. Simply put, it made much more sense. Forget about the Planet Zeist thing, the re-editting of the film made for a much more interesting sci-fi film.

Look, I think we can all agree that the producers wanted to take the then new Highlander franchise and turn it into a sci-fi deal. Well, it apparently didn't appeal to the fans.

And I think we could also agree that if the film was done as the last Highlander film it would have been accepted better as such.

Highlander 3: The Final Dimension should have been Highlander 2 and we know it. Which actually brings me to another question. Is the current Highlander 3 DVD anamorphic or not? Some on-line sites says it is, other's don't. And I haven't seen it at a B&M store to check myself. Judging by the packaging with the blue Widescreen Edition banner on it, it looks to be one of those early DVD releases, like Con Air and Armageddon, that isn't.
Old 05-10-04, 04:55 PM

The French cut is suposed to be even better than the Renegade cut. but yes its the origanal cut thats stinks like crap, the renegade cut isnt much better, but less crap in it, its just the messed up and tried to mess it up more, cannot do much with it really, but I do like the film after all this time of hating it for years, I guess it grows on ya! and MR Ironside is pretty funny

and as far as I know the directors cut of Highlander 3 isnt anamorphic, not sure about the normal kiddie cut, do a search sure you will find that out.
Old 05-10-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone have any info on the French cut...I can't find anything at imdb other than the usual info.

The only thing that really burns me in the Renegade Version is the brief final duel and the way Katanas sword turns into a short sword out of nowhere.
Old 05-10-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Isn't the renegade version already available on DVD? Sounds like they are just including a second disc with bonus features.
The version previously released on DVD has godawful image quality on par with the original disc of the first film. Hopefully the new transfer will be better, although "enhanced and reimagined visual effects" part sounds as if we won't be getting the original version of the Renegade cut, anyway.

DJ
Old 05-10-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No commentary?

Paging JOE BOB BRIGGS...
Old 05-10-04, 10:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by djtoell
The version previously released on DVD has godawful image quality on par with the original disc of the first film.

DJ
Speaking of which, how's the image quality on the original Highlander Immortal Edition?
Old 05-11-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Geofferson
Yeah, I'll agree with that. No way in hell am I going to buy this.
Fast forward two months and ten days and what do we see in Geofferson's profiler? That's right... Highlander 2 SE.
Old 06-01-04, 09:27 PM

Some more info to entice you:

davis dvd:

"This ambitious two-disc set features a newly remastered anamorphic transfer (from a new 24P HD master from the original negative), new DD5.1-EX and DTS ES audio remasters and newly enhanced visual and sound effects. Extras will include "The Deconstruction of Highlander 2" branching feature, "Highlander 2: Seduced By Argentina" new documentaries (with all-new interviews from key cast & crew), "The Redemption Of Highlander 2" visual effects featurette, "The Music of Highlander 2" hosted by Stewart Copeland, "The Fabric Of Highlander 2" costume designs hosted by designer Deborah Everton, "Shadow & Darkness: The Cinematography Of Highlander 2" hosted by DP Phil Meheux, the original Cannes Film Festival Promotional Reel (unseen since 1991, new HD transfer), deleted scenes (including alternate "fairytale" ending) and the original trailer. "
Old 06-01-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by stinkeye
Some more info to entice you:

davis dvd:

"This ambitious two-disc set features a newly remastered anamorphic transfer (from a new 24P HD master from the original negative), new DD5.1-EX and DTS ES audio remasters and newly enhanced visual and sound effects. Extras will include "The Deconstruction of Highlander 2" branching feature, "Highlander 2: Seduced By Argentina" new documentaries (with all-new interviews from key cast & crew), "The Redemption Of Highlander 2" visual effects featurette, "The Music of Highlander 2" hosted by Stewart Copeland, "The Fabric Of Highlander 2" costume designs hosted by designer Deborah Everton, "Shadow & Darkness: The Cinematography Of Highlander 2" hosted by DP Phil Meheux, the original Cannes Film Festival Promotional Reel (unseen since 1991, new HD transfer), deleted scenes (including alternate "fairytale" ending) and the original trailer. "
Gimme!
I like this film cos I see it as a different interpretation of the Highlander story rather than a sequel. And Michael Ironside and John C. McGinley make this one a hoot.

I hope the deleted scenes include the scene with the Zeist citizens betting over the final fight in the original film. I heard that never even made it into the French cut.
Old 06-02-04, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I guess I'm the only one on the planet that likes the Highlander series, then.

Count me in.
Old 06-02-04, 04:11 PM

I guess I have to buy this one too, I already have the 4 DVDs
Old 06-02-04, 05:31 PM
Banned

Well I was hoping that this movie would get a better DVD. It'll make purchasing the other Highlander films that much easier. Looks like I'll order Highlander: The Immortal Edition around the same time H2: SE comes out.
Old 06-03-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by djtoell
"enhanced and reimagined visual effects" part sounds as if we won't be getting the original version of the Renegade cut
Which not such a big deal since the effects were redone in the Renegade Version as well. So this'll just be further tinkering. But, since the Renegade Version effects mostly hold up well, I doubt they'd screw this up and deliver something worse. Effectswise anyway. I just wanna know if they further re-edited the film to more closely match the French cut but with brand new FX.

Now if only the rough cut of Highlander wasn't missing.
Old 06-04-04, 01:50 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Well, call me crazy, but I actually liked the Renegade Version. Thought it was much better than the original edit. Simply put, it made much more sense. Forget about the Planet Zeist thing, the re-editting of the film made for a much more interesting sci-fi film.

Look, I think we can all agree that the producers wanted to take the then new Highlander franchise and turn it into a sci-fi deal. Well, it apparently didn't appeal to the fans.
Gonna have to disagree with you. Even if you strip every single Highlander-ism from the movie and give it a fresh coat of paint, the movie still makes no sense and is full of crappy plot. Highlander or no, this film will forever be a gigantic turd.
Old 06-04-04, 07:17 AM
Banned

I also like Highlander 2: Renegade Version. It simply is not that bad a film. I will definitely pick up the SE.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.