DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What is the best version of "Equilibrium" and is there a better one coming?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/363200-what-best-version-equilibrium-there-better-one-coming.html)

OldBoy 05-09-04 03:08 PM

What is the best version of "Equilibrium" and is there a better one coming??

I liked this movie a lot. It was subtle in its delivery and scratched the surface slowly but very steadily as it progressed. It seemed to linger to me well after it was over and brings thoughts to me now. The action scenes were very well done and somewhat original.

That being said I was wondering if there is a real good version out there..either R1 or other and is there a better, super duper edition announced at all on the horizon?
Thanks to anyone for help.

spin1984 05-09-04 03:20 PM

The R2 UK version is the one which I rate to be the best. I often compare R1 and R2 when making my purchases and as is often the case the R1 normally contains additional extras, however in this instance I purchased the R2 version. I am not aware of a SE on the way, but who knows! Hope this helps.

PinwiZ 05-09-04 03:31 PM

The R3 Korean version has a REALLY good DTS track, and a really nice package. I would highly recommend it.

RyoHazuki 05-09-04 03:46 PM

Heres a link for the Korean one.

http://www.freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/koreandvd.htm

candyrocket786 05-09-04 03:53 PM

The R3 Korean release is the definitive version.

flashburn 05-09-04 04:08 PM

R3 Korean, without a doubt.

speedy1961 05-09-04 05:20 PM

Korean one was the best I saw.

Mike Lowrey 05-09-04 06:34 PM

Funny this title was brought up. I just saw a commerical for this movie on one of the Pay Channels and thought, "Hey, that looks cool."

So I looked it up on some e-tailer websites. DDD has a good price of like $13.80

Hype says that it's better than The Matrix, is that true?

Bill Geiger 05-09-04 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Funny this title was brought up. I just saw a commerical for this movie on one of the Pay Channels and thought, "Hey, that looks cool."

So I looked it up on some e-tailer websites. DDD has a good price of like $13.80

I liked it better.

Gotta say, the R3 is the version to get.

InnocentBlood 05-09-04 09:03 PM

i own the Korean version too & i'd recommend it.

ZackR 05-09-04 09:18 PM

Is the R3 Korean one of those discs that can be played in any player? I have 1 region-free player and 1 R1 player, so Iguess it doesn't matter, but I am just curious.

Thanks!

cruzness 05-09-04 10:14 PM

Better than The Matrix.....I don't think so. But it is still a damn good film. The Gunkata is pretty cool.

caiman 05-09-04 11:51 PM

That DVD looks sweet. Where's the cheapest place to buy it?

pat00139 05-10-04 01:09 AM

Korea. :)

The packaging is really sweet, like someone else said. It's a real shame Miramax messed up with it. They didn't know what they had. Not as good as The Matrix but still really nice. There are a bunch of price comparison sites that you can check out to find out where the cheapest place to get it is.

WestEndRiot 05-10-04 01:49 AM

interesting concept but extremely flawed film in both the story details and execution. poor acting, horrible script...i honestly do not understand why this film gets the hype it does. a good buddy of mine rented it on a whim last year and couldn't stop raving about it. my roommate bought it and we both were extremely disappointed...to this day i don't think hes seen it all the way to the end.

judge for yourself but for me this movie was a letdown in almost every way.

flashburn 05-10-04 07:01 AM

The only similiarities it has to the Matrix is guns, martial arts, and action sequences.

Tarantino 05-10-04 07:41 AM

I didn't think it was THAT great, it entertained me for a few hours...

I'm happy with the R1 disc.

matome 05-10-04 07:41 AM

Great flick. Better then The Matrix? No.

OldBoy 05-10-04 10:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tarantino
[B]I didn't think it was THAT great, it entertained me for a few hours...

isn't that the point??

dealer 05-10-04 01:26 PM

Originally posted by ZackR
Is the R3 Korean one of those discs that can be played in any player? I have 1 region-free player and 1 R1 player, so Iguess it doesn't matter, but I am just curious.

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. I have the R1 and I really like the movie. That R3 looks pretty sweet!

Robert 05-10-04 01:45 PM

For what its worth, Kurt Wimmer hinted at a future re-release with deleted scenes in his solo audio commentary.

joliom 05-10-04 03:17 PM

Re: What is the best version of "Equilibrium" and is there a better one coming??

Originally posted by scott1598
I liked this movie a lot. It was subtle in its delivery and scratched the surface slowly but very steadily as it progressed. It seemed to linger to me well after it was over and brings thoughts to me now. The action scenes were very well done and somewhat original.

That being said I was wondering if there is a real good version out there..either R1 or other and is there a better, super duper edition announced at all on the horizon?
Thanks to anyone for help.

I have to say that I mostly liked it, but subtle and original it was not. It steals shamelessly from Fahrenheit 451 and 1984, and had some of the most heavy-handed allusions that I really didn't know if I should find it insulting or just plain comical. It comes at you with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the skull when it trys to sneak in its little references to real life. But I think once you get beyond all that, it works very well as an entertaining little sci-fi action flick.