Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 1 ???

Batman - The Animated Series, Vol. 1 ???

Old 05-08-04, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To wet my appetite for this release, I thought about getting the Mask of the Phantasm and Mr. Freeze - Subzero. Should I go ahead and get these? They're only like $9 on DDD.

I had Mask on VHS years ago, but I don't remember much about it other than it had the Joker in it.
Old 05-08-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mask of the Phantasm is one hell of a great film. I loved it.
Old 05-08-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't mean to come off rude, it's just that I have seen every single episode a couple times over. I've bought every episode on VCD, I am subscribed to Columbia House's current releases and will buy these when they come out. Robin was in it early on - he just was not in every episode.

And 'Mask of the Phantasm' is the single greatest Batman feature film, ever.
Old 05-08-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Mask of the Phantasm is great, Sub-Zero is a pretty good way to spend 70 minutes and Batman Beyond Return of the Joker Uncut is a hell of a film.
Old 05-08-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the "Batman Superman Movie" which was a fairly clever meeting of the two animated series.

I recommend it as well.
Old 05-09-04, 01:26 AM

Yeah, I'm slowly putting together the movies too. I have MOTP coming in the mail, need to pick up Sub-Zero, World's Finest, and ROTJ. I considered picking up the Superman DVD, but since it's just the first three eps of that series cut together as a movie, I'll wait for the box set of that one too.

I just wish the price would lower on Mystery of the Batwoman. I really need to see that one, but $20 is still way too much more than I want to pay for it since I've yet to see it. $10 like the rest would make it find it's way into my collection.
Old 05-09-04, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I just wish the price would lower on Mystery of the Batwoman. I really need to see that one
no... no you don't. God, worse batman animated movie ever. It's on the level of the later batman live action films. Terrible. Simply terrible.
Old 05-09-04, 06:34 AM

I loved this animated series as a kid. I am so floored that they're releasing it on DVD, and I think splitting up the episodes in the way they're doing is a good idea. Personally, I can't wait until it arrives.
Old 05-09-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
no... no you don't. God, worse batman animated movie ever. It's on the level of the later batman live action films. Terrible. Simply terrible.
I thought it was fun. Not a classic like Mask of the Phantasm by any means, but comparing it to the third and fourth Batman live-action movies is going too far.

Haven't decided if I'll pick up this set... because it will inevitably obligate me to buy the other 3 or 4 boxes for the complete animated Batman adventures.
Old 05-09-04, 08:40 AM

I'd rate the films this way:
Mask of the Phantasm
World's Finest
Return of the Joker
Sub-Zero
Mystery of the Batwoman

The latter two aren't bad, but they don't rise to the heights of the others, which are better than all but the first live action Batman film (1989).
Old 05-09-04, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by BlueJayWay
Only when they originally aired on Fox. Fox actually renamed the whole show "The Adventures of Batman & Robin", including the first 65 episodes. The repeats on Cartoon Network called all 85 original episodes "Batman: The Animated Series".
Didnt they even further muddy the water by re-running early episodes on the new show? And then with the occasional Superman crossover it was DAMN hard to keep things straight.

Ah - hell, it was all pure gold. Buy everything that comes out.
Old 05-09-04, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

my local target has a box set of the three batman movies. mask of the phantasm, sub-zero and return of the joker. the packaging is pretty nice and all for about 30 bucks i believe.

however i don't know if return of the joker is uncut version or the edited.
Old 05-09-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah... make sure you get the uncut... you don't want the edited one.

I thought it was fun. Not a classic like Mask of the Phantasm by any means, but comparing it to the third and fourth Batman live-action movies is going too far.
No it's not.

I was never a fan of the second Batman series though, with the new Robin and such... I always find Batman is best at it's most "pure", which is why the earlier Batman Animated episodes I think are among the best.

Doesn't mean the newer show didn't turn out some excellent episodes though.
Old 05-09-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
To wet my appetite for this release, I thought about getting the Mask of the Phantasm and Mr. Freeze - Subzero. Should I go ahead and get these? They're only like $9 on DDD.

I had Mask on VHS years ago, but I don't remember much about it other than it had the Joker in it.

Mask is a classic!
Old 05-13-04, 04:01 PM
Cool New Member

re:

So major fan faves like Riddler and Batgirl won't be in the first Animated box set then huh? Riddler was in the first few episodes of season 2. Were all the Batgirl episodes (the two part Shadow of the Bat and Batgirl returns) both in the second season?