Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Shogun Assassin/Lone Wolf & Cub/Baby Cart Disks

Old 05-04-04, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed more listings of "Shogun Assassin" pop up on Ebay, my guess due to the mention in "Kill Bill: Volume 2." I've held off buying it because I've heard that even the "uncut" version is still just a bad edit of the first 2 Katsu Shintarô Lone Wolf and Cub/Baby Cart movies. Since those had started to be released, I figured being patient was a smarter move.

It seems that by the summer all 6 films will have been released. Has anyone heard about a potential box set of the series? It seems logical one would come out in time for Christmas if the sixth movie gets put out around August/September, and I'd rather just hold out and hopefully save some money. The reviews I've read of them seem good enough, but does anyone have an opinion about the Koch Entertainment releases, or am I better off looking into editions from other regions instead of waiting?
Old 05-04-04, 03:38 PM

www.animeigo.com

They have all the best versions all done already that you can order from their site.

I've held off buying it because I've heard that even the "uncut" version is still just a bad edit of the first 2 Katsu Shintarô Lone Wolf and Cub/Baby Cart movies.
Actually alot of fans like the Shogun Assassin edit and the original films as well.The dub is probably the greatest ever and has more quotable lines then any movie ever.The music is also better then the original.

Shogun Assassin was actually my first exposure to the series and after that I purchased films 1-6 and love em.Now if only we could get SA remastered to the level of quality of the animeigo lw&c dvds.

edit-crap just went to the animeigo site and their offering a box for free to put the films in!!!woohoo!!
Old 05-04-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by slax

edit-crap just went to the animeigo site and their offering a box for free to put the films in!!!woohoo!!
SWEEEEET!

Just need to get 3-6
Old 05-04-04, 05:24 PM

Im interested in the set too, but I noticed that DeepDiscountDVD(DVDTalk linkified) stocks 4 of the discs for $16.19 respectively(compared to 25.48 at Animeigo)and they look to be the very same discs. The free box offer is very nice of Animeigo to do, but Im probably going to go with DDD to order the majority of my discs, then order 1-2 more from Animeigo to get the box.
Old 05-04-04, 05:44 PM

The AnimeGo disks do look identical, but at $150 for the set I don't think the free box is enough. That's kind of why I wanted to wait and see if sites like DDD start carrying a hypothetical official box set, because the savings would be substantial.
Old 05-04-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Actually alot of fans like the Shogun Assassin edit and the original films as well....Shogun Assassin was actually my first exposure to the series...
I love the original films, but Shogun Assassin is also very enjoyable (and I usually HATE edited/dubbed versions of foreign films). A lot of those discs on Ebay are probably boots. There are currently no legitimate R1 or R0 NTSC discs of the film. There is a R0 British disc, but it is PAL and is supposed to look pretty bad. Maybe the mention in Kill Bill Vol 2 will give someone the idea of releasing a nice disc of the film over here.
Old 05-05-04, 12:30 AM

Good thing I read this thread. It made me purchase the last lone wolf and last Zatoichi that I need. I'm glad I waited so I can get the free boxes without having to pay shipping for them.

I agree with another poster here that these dvds are a lot of money, but animeigo is one of the only companies that felt deserved my money to buy directly from instead of waiting till ddd had the dvds for around $9 less. And I get to watch them sooner
Old 05-05-04, 07:54 AM
Defunct Account

Cool! I didn't know about the free boxes. I just put my order in.

I agree with Slang that Animego is worth the the extra $. They usually put out a quality product, and listen to their customer base. I wish all companies would do the same, so it's worth a couple of buck to support them.
Old 05-05-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can order the boxes, for $5 each if you don't want to pay the higher prices for their dvds.

Now the question is...are they decent quality boxes?

edit: Ahh, what the hell. I just placed an order for the Zatoichi and Lone Wolf boxes, $4.95 shipped for both.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-05-04 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-05-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm also a big fan of the original films, and of Shogun Assassin, which was my introduction to the LW&C series. It deserves a release too.