Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Saved By the Bell Season 3 & 4 Question

Old 05-03-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the first set dropped I picked it up the first day, since I've been a fan of the show for about a decade. However, with this new set, I wasn't as eager to jump on it considering the price and the quality of these seasons. But seeing as how the set contains commentaries and has some episodes that I am fond of, I'm reconsidering. What I want to know is, how many commentaries are there and what are the quality of them? I think that's going to be the deciding factor as to whether I buy the set or not.
Old 05-03-04, 04:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No idea about the above ... check tvshowsondvd.com

BTW : What year did Screech start using Steroids?
Old 05-03-04, 06:19 PM

I haven't gone through and watched any of them yet, but according to the packaging it looks like there are seven episodes with commentaries:

S3E05 - Zack's Birthday Party - Commentary with Peter Engel

S3E14 - Fake I.D.'s - Commentary with Dustin Diamond, Dennis Haskins, & Lark Voorhies

S3E17 - The Last Weekend - Commentary with Peter Engel & Dustin Diamond

S3E19 - All in the Mall - Commentary with Peter Engel

S4E05 - No Hope with Dope - Commentary with Peter Engel, Dustin Diamond, Dennis Haskins, & Lark Voorhies

S4E06 - Rockumentary - Commentary with Peter Engel, Dustin Diamond, Dennis Haskins, & Lark Voorhies

S4E10 - Mystery Weekend - Commentary with Dustin Diamond

Like I said, this is what the inner packaging has printed on it, but I have yet to watch any of the episodes with a commentary (or any of the episodes at all for that matter).

But this is the real question that I have about this set: Seasons 1 & 2 were spread out over five discs with season 1 having 20 episodes (on three discs) and season 2 having 13 episodes (on two discs). Then you open up seasons 3 & 4 and its only four discs with season 3 having 19 episodes (on three discs) and season 4 only having 10 episodes (on one disc). Every episode guide that I've seen online for the show has all 29 of these episodes classified as being from season 3, which would make sense because that when it was at the height of its popularity.

There's something strange about how they're starting to divide these up (and I'm sure its so they can pull more money out of it) and I wonder what the rest of the sets are going to end up looking like.
Old 05-04-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never mind how they're divided into "seasons". It makes zero sense. Find a production-order guide and watch the show according to that...
Old 05-04-04, 05:27 PM

No, I'm not saying I'm wondering about the exact order, but rather how they'll divide the rest of the series up since they are splitting "seasons" in order to string out more releases. I'm not talking about the exact order of the shows, but just the format in which they're being released, which seems to be incorrect (and which is certainly not in production order).

Last edited by bjh_18; 05-04-04 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-04-04, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

As far as the quality of the commentaries, it's a mixed bag. The episodes with commentary from Dustin Diamond, Dennis Haskins, & Lark Voorhies I found to be highly entertaining and informative. They talk nonstop from start to finish of each episode. The solo Dustin Diamond commentary on the "Mystery Weekend" episode is basically him pointing out the sheer lunacy of the episode's premise and joking along the way. These commentaries are grea fun for fans, but more commentaries are sorely needed.

The episodes with commentary by a solo Peter Engel are pretty boring as he barely even talks. In fact, it usually amounts to Peter saying "hey, there's my name" at the opening credits, then he'll set up the episode and give an anecdote or two (which lasts for about 2-3 minutes), then there is basically 20 minutes of silence, and finally a last "hey there's my name again" at the closing credits.
Old 05-04-04, 08:43 PM
Cool New Member

I couldn't help but laugh at your post because I agree and Engel's commentaries were so, odd. He would say something like "How many times did Lisa call Screech a dork?" and wouldn't answer it. And the way he delivered it, his voice, is just really funny. His commentaries are worthless other than the humor from that.

The group commentaries are great though. I hope there's more in future seasons.
Old 05-05-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I'll admit that splitting up the fourth season is a bit odd, they are putting the episodes in the order in which they aired. The fact that it doesn't match the production order is a completely different issue and we can only guess what NBC was thinking when they aired them. I imagine if they had put the DVDs in production order someone would be complaining that they weren't originally presented that way.

Here's an episode guide that shows both the air dates and the production numbers:

http://www.epguides.com/SavedbytheBell/
Old 05-05-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't watched the commentaries, but I am pretty mad at the lack of episodes on the DVDs. There are only 29 episodes on the DVDs, but season three itself had 26 episodes that aired. Season four also had 26 episodes that originally aired. The first two episodes on disc one even originally aired in season two. I'm pretty upset about the lack of episodes, but I guess there is a reason they don't call it the "Complete Season."
Old 05-05-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This article addresses the question about seasons

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1209

In other words, don't put too much stock in episode guides.
Old 05-05-04, 02:07 PM

go here: http://homepage.mac.com/ijball/SbtB/history.html

basically what they did was split season 4 into 4 and 5. "4" being episodes with Kelly and Jessie, "5" with Tori. so what appears on the dvd is up to the end of the Kelly and Jessie episodes(except for graduation.) i was mad at this too, so expect another release.
Old 05-05-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks fellas! Although it still sucks they broke it up like that, I will gladly buy a fifth season to get all of the episodes.