DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Whats running dry in your DVD collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/361834-whats-running-dry-your-dvd-collection.html)

dvd-4-life 05-02-04 02:57 PM

Whats running dry in your DVD collection?

With me-movies.Besides the new Lord of the Rings coming out there isn't much thats out there that is of interest to me.I will concentrate more on TV box sets,animation and wrestling.About 67 percent of my collection is movie related .

milo bloom 05-02-04 03:28 PM

I said I wouldn't touch DVD until Star Wars or Star Trek were available. And I dove in as soon as Trek started since I figured Wars would follow right behind....

If you'll check my link, you'll see the 2 SW flicks, but only a miser's portion of the Trek. Reading about so many other interesting movies on forums kinda made lose focus. And I'd say it's a good thing as I've seen films I never would have considered before.

marty888 05-02-04 03:31 PM

The only thing running dry is my bank account.

Those of us with movie appreciation that goes past the current hits are having a difficutlt time keepng up with the flood of classic movies... all those great special editions from Warner, the Fox Studio Collection, the Universal Franchise releases, etc.

gutwrencher 05-02-04 04:56 PM

Originally posted by marty888

Those of us with movie appreciation that goes past the current hits are having a difficutlt time keepng up with the flood of classic movies

agreed. I'm still buying 10+ a week and still cant keep up with my list. although I'm still missing many essential titles...I'd say all the genres and sections are coming along quite nicely. still need more swashbuckling, nunsploitation and giallo's. those are my main 3 sections getting worked on right now and hope to have those beefed-up within a month.

Gcomeau 05-02-04 04:58 PM

My bank account too. Space is another factor.

ArchibaldTuttle 05-02-04 05:28 PM

quantity, I am one of the few people here who has less than 100 titles

snorlaxnut 05-02-04 05:37 PM

I have a lot of TV show sets, but not a lot of cartoon DVDs. Must get some cartoon DVDs in my collection.

QuiGonJosh 05-02-04 05:47 PM

My collection is pretty perfectly balanced I think...I'm gonna order some Gordon Liu movies though...only got two...

jough 05-02-04 05:47 PM

I'm refusing to buy crap pan and scan titles and non-anamorphic widescreen titles now, so I'm missing a whole lot of mainland Chinese films because I want them in 16:9 with decent transfers (and the original audio) in R1.

Yeah, I know they're available in other regions, but dammit, I have a Region 1 player and the PAL speedup makes the films look crappy on my display.

I'm also wanting to pick up some more silent films, and Bollywood stuff.

illennium 05-02-04 06:20 PM

Single-disc releases. Of the last 30 DVDs I've bought, only 2 have been single-disc releases. The rest were TV seasons, movie box sets, and 2-disc special editions.

JiM T 05-02-04 11:51 PM

One can never have enough Criterion titles! But I'm low on chop-socky, Fellini, 1930s comedy, non-Argento Italian horror, and non-Leone spaghetti westerns.

JiM T

Mike Lowrey 05-03-04 11:40 AM

Well, I'm lacking in old classic films, actually none, but those don't interest me whatrsoever. My tastes usually follow the '80s - present. In fact, most of my collection is '90s and newer. Although I do have a few older titles, such as Lawrence of Arabia, and a few other old war films.

My animation collection is mainly restricted to CGI stuff at the moment, but I'll be adding the Batman TAS and possibly the '67 SpiderMan collection.

A good portion of my collection is TV on DVD. If you look at my collection in my sig, you can clearly see that a great deal is TV shows.

TBFL 05-03-04 12:17 PM

Im getting behind on TV series, especially TV animation as more keeps coming out.

eedoon 05-03-04 01:38 PM

Silent movies. And I'm going to need more space soon.

FuzzyBallz 05-03-04 02:17 PM

Shelf space. I need lots more them. Haven't bought much lately. I wanna buy more TV series, but then it'd be a waste 'cause I've memorized all the episodes already and won't be seeing them again.

Well, I guess I could double dip on double disc re-releases, ie, Underworld, Donnie Darko, Saving Private Ryan.

The Exister 05-03-04 04:03 PM

I'm afraid I'll never catch up...

tommyp007 05-03-04 05:59 PM

Space....the final frontier.............

asianxcore 05-03-04 06:03 PM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Shelf space. I need lots more them.
same situation here. the same with TV shows. there are only a handful of shows I really care about that I want to purchase (Alias, The Simpsons, Futurama, Dark Angel), but have never got around to it. have been trying to get on that recently.

Darkfriend 05-03-04 06:39 PM

I have to start buying some Kurosawa movies. I just loved watching those classics on TV as a kid.

For TV boxed sets, I just buy what I know I will go on collecting (24, The Simpsons, The Sopranos, South Park). I used to be a huge X-Files fan but the $129.99 price tag on each set makes me hesitate a bit.

chente 05-03-04 07:07 PM

My wallet is running thin. There are so many movies I want to get that I can't afford right now. Between the

Warner 2-Disks
Criterion releases
Latest Superbit extravaganza
Universal Collections Sets
New releases
Random Classic releases
Occasional TV Set
Box Sets
Interesting sounding blind buys

I can't keep up.

Edit
===========

Holy Smokes, this post just put into DVDTalk Special Edition land. I can't believe I've made 1000 posts here.

MasterCXtreme 05-03-04 09:59 PM

I've slowed down on my DVD buying a lot this year. Next month will be a big one though with Simpsons, South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and probably more. I've been trying to weed out my collection, but I usually do the "12.99 deal" at BBV, although that doesn't make my collection smaller.... it get's rid of my unwanted discs.

EPKJ 05-04-04 05:50 AM

There are so many films I want to own, I will never run out of things to buy.

Bacon 05-04-04 03:24 PM

$$$$

copiedline 05-04-04 03:33 PM

money is slowing me down big time.

Pelayu 05-04-04 03:37 PM

some good French, Spanish, German and Japanese DVD releases ... I'd like to rectify this historic injustice very soon, though.