Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Whats running dry in your DVD collection?

Whats running dry in your DVD collection?

Old 05-04-04, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Columbia House not running free shipping right now has slowed down my intake, but the source of this problem is what many before me have said already....

...show me the MONEY!

So many DVDs to buy...so little time (and money).

-NHN
Old 05-04-04, 08:50 PM

My DVD spending habit has cooled off. I am looking forward to the GBU SE and City of God. I was thinking of picking up Django and the Johnny Quest set, but I'll wait.
Old 05-05-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I've gotten really picky, but only because there are so many great catalog releases every week I can't buy everything I want.

There aren't too many brand new movies I'm interested in, but lots of old stuff--some of my most wanted movies are coming out this summer (just like last summer).
Old 05-06-04, 11:20 AM

Watching time.

With the spring comes the kids baseball, my softball and Sox games to watch on TV/attend.

I've seen 2 movies in the last 2 weeks (Kill Bill and Master & Commander). Enjoyed them both btw-great surrounds on both.

I've got Sports Night, Civil War, James Bond set 3 and Baseball all lined up and ready to go. It'll be a long time until I need something new, especially with the Disney Wave 3's shipping in the not too distant future.
Old 05-06-04, 01:56 PM
Cool New Member

whats running dry in my collecton? The Walt Disney Treasures, I didnt get any of the past waves and I want the sets I preordered for wave 3 so badly. I was so mad when they postponed this set, but I cant wait for Amazon to ship these babies to my doorstep!
Old 05-06-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ginwen
I've gotten really picky, but only because there are so many great catalog releases every week I can't buy everything I want.

There aren't too many brand new movies I'm interested in, but lots of old stuff--some of my most wanted movies are coming out this summer (just like last summer).

I'm in the same boat exactly. There isn't anything like film from the late 60's and 1970s.

And if they don't get around to putting The Silver Streak on DVD I'm going to scream. I'm sick of this crap. Felt this same way for years over To Live and Die in L.A.
Old 05-06-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silent films.

In the early days of DVD, these were coming out at a rate of several a week (or so it seemed). Over the past 6 months, practically nothing. Even Image and Kino have sometimes gone *months* without putting one out.
Old 05-06-04, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Maybe they're running out of silents to release. How many were there?
Old 05-06-04, 03:29 PM

My enthusiasm for collecting. I rarely buy anymore, and am selling off my collection a title at a time. If I could get to, say, 100 titles I REALLY want, I'd be better off.
Old 05-06-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Maybe they're running out of silents to release. How many were there?
There were over 20,000 silent films produced from the late 1890s through the late 1920s. Although some/many have been lost, the current crop on DVD barely scratches the surface.

Even some of the major titles (such as Wings and most of the MGM catalog) haven't been released.
Old 05-07-04, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Hi.

I was joking.
Old 05-07-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
As people have indicated earlier, my problem is money.
Old 05-08-04, 01:59 AM

I don't collect silent movies... I tried them but just prefer talkies. Notwithstanding, the new score for The Passion of Joan of Arc CC was fabulous.

Buying wise I running out of catalog comedies to get. Now if we could get Fox to release all the Mel Brooks titles I'd be pretty well set there.
Old 05-08-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not low on anything that I want. If I want it, I get it.
Old 05-08-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bank account. Returning to school has definately slowed down my rate of purchase.
Old 05-08-04, 06:23 PM

wrestling stuff..
Old 05-08-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I would like to see older wrestling from the 60's and 70's but I am not sure whats available or if there is a market for it.
Old 05-08-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jough
Hi.

I was joking.
I think my jaw actually might have dropped when I saw your first post.
Old 05-08-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fluid collection

I'm probably the pickiest viewer around. I love film. I've traveled to film festivals. I studied film. I've taught film. But when it comes to owning films… there are only a very few, very personal favorites I would own and feel the need to go back and watch again. That's why my collection is so small (if I had to I could even narrow my collection down to 10 titles). That is also why I am constantly selling off stuff and some of the stuff that does run dry is pretty damn good film, but, if it's not a personal favorite, I will not keep, nor even buy it. I keep track of my very amorphous collection on DVD Aficionado best, because some of the titles that have run dry for me I still consider some great films, but, I ask myself, always: is it a personal favorite? Will I really watch it again? Do I have TIME to watch it again? Most often the answer is “no,” so a small collection makes most sense to me. You can see the films I have once owned and sold kept track of here. There’s even a list of films that I am considering to sell. And, of course, there is a list of titles currently for sale (not a plug but more and FYI, in context with this post).
Old 05-08-04, 10:16 PM
Banned

Question...

For those who collect TV shows, why is it that I almost always see shows like The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, and Family Guy listed?

I just don't get the fan base draw to these shows. To me they're a waste of time, and more importantly, money. But then again, comedy, animation or live-action, has never, ever been one of my favorite genres. I tend to like films or shows that have a decided good vs evil mantra to them.
Old 05-08-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't collect silent movies... I tried them but just prefer talkies. Notwithstanding, the new score for The Passion of Joan of Arc CC was fabulous.
I can understand your viewpoint, as silent movies are an acquired taste. Some don't care for the overacting that most feature, others just don't like them because of actually having to read and what have you.

I like silent flicks, but only really have an interest in owning particular ones on DVD. Lon Chaney, for instance. Other than his movies, the only silent movies I have on DVD are Metropolis and Man Who Laughs. I'm not exclusive to Chaney titles, though, as I'll give anything a look that sounds interesting. I've always been a fan of old silent horror movies and even owned the Kino German Horror box set for a time, but had to send it back because of a defective disc.

I would like to see older wrestling from the 60's and 70's but I am not sure whats available or if there is a market for it.
Not sure how much of a market there is for that era, but I think the sales of the Ric Flair set prove that there's a HUGE market for footage from the '80s. I know I'd shell out whatever they wanted for NWA and WWF footage from the mid and late 1980s.

For those who collect TV shows, why is it that I almost always see shows like The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, and Family Guy listed?
Well, aside from Futurama (which I've never really cared for), those shows are simply brilliant a great deal of the time. Nothing irks me more in regards to animated shows than the group of people who shun them because "they're just cartoons and cartoons are for kids." I'm not saying you have this outlook, but I know many people who look down on a show because it's animated. You don't get more close-minded than that in terms of TV and movies.

Those shows are able to deliver great laughs and be genius at the same time. Having a vast knowledge of pop culture and the like makes watching your average episode of the Simpsons and Family Guy that much more enjoyable.

I just don't get the fan base draw to these shows. To me they're a waste of time, and more importantly, money. But then again, comedy, animation or live-action, has never, ever been one of my favorite genres.
And right there you answer your question as to why you don't see the appeal of these shows. Not being a fan of comedy and animation instantly kills any potential for these shows to hold an appeal for you. To each their own, I think these shows are brilliant, you don't. Ladies and gentlemen, there's your upside and downside to personal taste.
Old 05-09-04, 12:45 AM
Banned

Chick Flicks, My girlfriend gets mad that we have nothing to watch together and always ending up going to rent even though i have like 400 dvds.