Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Is the mystique & ease of watching a rerun taken away from buying TV Series Box Sets?

Is the mystique & ease of watching a rerun taken away from buying TV Series Box Sets?

Old 05-01-04, 12:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts

I have long thought about getting at least 2 series': Cheers and Friends. But I constantly live for watching the reruns on syndication a couple times a day.

If I got the box sets, especially of Friends I would never watch the reruns anymore and thus have nothing to watch at those certain times. Plus, the struggle to buy all of them..there are like 10 seasons of each! Of course, it is perfect sense for series that do not run in syndication.

So is the mystique completely ruined by buying the box sets? Do you still watch the reruns of shows you bought the Box Sets for? I mean I know about the features and all that, but the thrill of watching a rerun is the simple ease of turning to a station and watching or not. With the DVD you would almost be locked in. Wouldn't you?

TV 2
Old 05-01-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would rather have the boxsets for shows I like. I never watch stuff in syndication. It's a pain to schedule and there are commercials. In addition, shows are oftentimes cut for syndication. Plus, quality is usually (reference Buffy Season 1) better with the DVDs.
Old 05-01-04, 12:38 PM

even though shows like friends, seinfeld & cheers are on tv more than the news, i'll still go out & buy them... I mean, who says they'll be on the small screen for alot longer?
Old 05-01-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kris81
even though shows like friends, seinfeld & cheers are on tv more than the news, i'll still go out & buy them... I mean, who says they'll be on the small screen for alot longer?
True. Taxi used to be on every weekday at 11:30pm for years. I'm not sure if its on at all any more.
Old 05-01-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying TV shows on DVD is like buying some of your life back ..... you can watch 3 epsiodes of a half-hour show in just over an hour, saving a half-hour of your life that you aren't wasting learning about the lastest laxatives.
Old 05-01-04, 12:45 PM

For me it's the other way around, at least with one show - Star Trek Next Generation. I've seen every episode of that show so many times - thanks a bunch, Spike! - that I know it would be a complete waste to buy the DVDs.

Because when I had Spike, I had no problem watching TNG, usually because nothing better was on. But I can't see myself making the time to select a season, select a DVD and select an ep to watch when I've seen them all so many times.

It might be different with, say, Deep Space 9. I saw every ep of that series, too, but it hasn't been permanently branded into my brain like TNG from reruns. But the price tag keeps me away.
Old 05-01-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't ever turn on the TV except to put in a DVD or videogame, so for me the choice is clear.
Old 05-01-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts
not really. I still watch The Simpsons and other shows constantly. I think when the Boy Meets World set comes out I'll be happy about it, since the re-runs on the Disney channel have been bumped out by other shows, so now the only time to catch Boy Meets World is around midnight on weekdays, and or weird times of the day on Weekends. I missed that block of an hour it used to occupy around 4-5 on the Disney Channel.

A Fresh Prince of Bel Air set needs to come out.
Old 05-01-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even though I still watch Friends in syndication a lot, I love having the season sets on DVD. If I get the urge to watch a particular episode, I can, any time I want, uncut, without commercials. I don't watch them a lot, but I like knowing I can.

Rob
Old 05-01-04, 02:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts
Originally posted by RobCA
Even though I still watch Friends in syndication a lot, I love having the season sets on DVD. If I get the urge to watch a particular episode, I can, any time I want, uncut, without commercials. I don't watch them a lot, but I like knowing I can.

Rob
good point!
Old 05-01-04, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RobCA

Rob
I also still watch Friends in syndication. But, I also love watching season sets in weekend marathon sessions.
Old 05-01-04, 08:15 PM

I haven't bought The Simpsons because its always on and if I think about an episode I want to watch it'll be on up to 4 days later. Its amazing. That's really the only series I don't have the desire to buy.
Old 05-01-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 439 Likes on 326 Posts
500 channels and nothing on.

It used to be so much easier to see the shows I wanted to watch before everything was so fragmented. One channel in San Diego (channel 6) was all I watched from 5:00 until 8:00 (and sometimes until 10:00 if they had a good movie on at 8:00) from 1979 to 1988 or so. They always had something on that I wanted to watch. Now I have to scan through all the channels - broadcast and cable - to find something that I'm mildly interested in watching.

With the DVD box sets I can just pop something in the DVD player and watch some great TV shows - uncut and with no commercials.

If it were easier to see the shows that I wanted to watch at any given time I probably wouldn't buy half the TV shows on DVD that I do, but since it is such a pain in the ass to find them on the cable schedule the DVD sets are a much better - and more enjoyable - option.
Old 05-01-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rarely, if ever, watch TV anymore, so DVDs are always on when I am working at my home office.

The editing of syndicated shows is a big turn-off for me (at the very minimum, syndicated versions usually always cut the opening title/song sequence down to nothing Cheers comes to mind).

Friends is a whole different ballgame, as the Season sets contain footage cut from the ORIGINAL AIRDATE, not to mention syndication. Granted, it is usually only a minute or two, but at times, it is a full scene cust out, as the filmed show was often over 25 minutes in length, which necessitated a minimum 3 minutes of footage cut to fill the 22 minute air time.

The Friends season sets contain this cut footage, which is why the DVD run times are often 25-32 minutes in length per show.
Old 05-01-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's really important to emphasize the uncut aspect of TV on DVD. As time passes more and more of your favorite show will be trimmed away to make room for more and more commercials. That is one reason some of the older shows (Dick Van Dyke, The Original Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, The Original Star Trek, and even The Next Generation) are so popular, because DVD is the only way to see the entire episodes any more.
Old 05-01-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I buy the sets because there are no commercails, and because It's all about teh special features. But in comment to watching rerun's I usually don't ahve time to watch tv til 9/10pm and by them im watching yesterdays shows that i have recorded, but during the summer i still catch friends and simpsons even though i have all theire DVD's
Old 05-03-04, 04:11 PM

Star Trek episodes are not only uncut on DVD, there are no commercials and the picture quality on Spike TV will never rival the picture quality on the DVDs, not even direct from satellite. That is why I buy TV shows on DVD, even ones that are on 24 hours a day.
Old 05-03-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
TV on DVD is great because no matter what series you are talking about, there are certain episodes you will want to watch more than others. Instead of relying on what the syndicator feeds me, I have the choice.

Best example of this is Simpsons - I pretty find anything after S9 unwatchable. Unfortunately, our local syndicator shows more episodes from the last 4-5 years than episodes in the best years: 2 through 8.

This is why I am dying for Law & Order to come out faster on DVD. It is great that TNT shows a steady diet of episodes but they awkwardly chop them and edit and I prefer the episodes from S5 through S10.
Old 05-03-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always hated watching re-runs on TV and regarded them as a pain in the ass rather than "mystique" and "ease." I don't call it "mystique" or "ease" when the channel decides to stop airing my show in a particular time slot and I have no idea where they put it (back in the good ol' days before online TV Guides kept you up to date. Yes, boys and girls, there was a time in our history when the TV Guide wasn't 100% accurate and it was published on this thing called paper!) and it was especially painful and frustrating when your show stopped in the middle of a two parter. It would even be more frustrating when they kept on showing the same ten episodes over and over and over again and you rarely got to see the episodes you wanted to really see. And don't forget about the commercials, and the edits done to the shows (and the edits were more often than not painfully noticeable).

When I started to collect TV shows on VHS tape, I read that there were season sets of shows (on VHS of course) in Europe. That always frustrated me because I wanted my favorite shows in season sets. It kills me that it took America this long to get with it, but at least they are with it now and I wouldn't have it any other way.