Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Problems with Universal's Monster Collection...here we go again...

Community
Search

Problems with Universal's Monster Collection...here we go again...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EPKJ
Well, since this version also contains House Of Dracula, I would argue that it is the superior release and that most people on this board will buy it for that reason if they are horror fans.
This is not an argument (although I know you love to argue). I agree with that 100%. That's, unfortunately, not the issue. But you'll never understand the issue, so...
Old 05-04-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine today from Amazon - no loose discs! Yay! Can't wait to get home and try 'em out!
Old 05-04-04, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by W-Mans
Just for laughs, EPKJ, read through all your posts on this thread and:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...y&pagenumber=1

This thread (which you DID start, by the way). Then tell me you don't have a H-on for the spinning globe.
So, posting information now constitutes cheerleading? Do you just create fantasies when you lack compelling argumentation? Think about it, just for laughs.
Old 05-04-04, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by W-Mans
This is not an argument (although I know you love to argue). I agree with that 100%. That's, unfortunately, not the issue. But you'll never understand the issue, so...
I do understand the issue. You like bashing studios. It makes you feel like a big man.
Old 05-04-04, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by EPKJ
So, posting information now constitutes cheerleading? Do you just create fantasies when you lack compelling argumentation? Think about it, just for laughs.
Read the whole thread. Your defense of Universal is embarrassing. I, on the other hand, am far from studio bashing, as you stated in another post. I have already stated in this thread that I enjoy this release, but also see the importance of the previous release. Admit it, you're just bitter that you don't own the previous, superior release of Dracula. It almost seems to me that you keep posting just to use the term "hyperbole."

Last edited by W-Mans; 05-04-04 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-04-04, 04:13 PM

for those still waiting for this from Amazon, I got a peace offering after my inquiry as to the status of my order, YMMV:

"To compensate you for this delay please accept a $5.00 promotional certificate for use toward your next Amazon.com order. When you redeem your promotional certificate, please be sure to use the shopping cart rather than ordering via 1-Click. You will find all of the details below. Simply print this certificate or save the message on your hard drive for future reference. "
Old 05-04-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We got ourselves a full blown pissing match!

Universal Apologists Vs. Anal Audiophiles

Awesome!
Old 05-04-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I really like the packagING, it just wasn't packagED well.
Old 05-04-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by slop101
I really like the packagING, it just wasn't packagED well.
Most intelligent thing said thus far.
Old 05-07-04, 11:16 PM

I received this set last week and the wolfman dvd was loose and scratched on one side. So, I asked to return it to Amazon. They sent me another box this week, but I could hear more loose dvds. This time the Frankenstein dvd was loose and scratched. So, I just switched the best dvd's of the two sets and sent back the defective dvds to Amazon. I'm glad I waited to send back the replacement copy after I received the 2nd set.

What did Universal do to the packaging for those dvds? So many people are having the problem with these dvds coming loose.
Old 05-08-04, 02:32 PM

Finally, got my Frankenstein set from BestBuy.com today. of course, disc 2 was loose and scratched.
Old 05-08-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The hubs look to be fine. I believe the people at Universal simply were careless in placing the DVDs in the cases. I think machines usually do this job, but because of the gift set they probably did it by hand.
Old 05-08-04, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Mikey
What did Universal do to the packaging for those dvds? So many people are having the problem with these dvds coming loose.
I noticed at Best Buy the DVD shrinkwrap had a small printed line saying "made in Mexico" or something along those lines. The only other time I've seen Mexico mentioned on DVD shrinkwrap was on some "Breakfast Club" DVD's at Target. I'm not knocking Mexico for the problem, but maybe the DVD's had quite a bit of shipping around to complete the full production?

At a Wal-Mart I checked, Dracula and Wolfman seemed ok to buy but three Frankenstein sets in a row had loose disks! I haven't bought anything yet...I'm a little disappointed about the audio problem with Dracula(I want my "screams" and I ain't ashamed to say it) and I may just get the Frankenstein set. I don't know,
with so much great DVD stuff out there I just can't afford it all.
Old 05-08-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Keith123
I'm a little disappointed about the audio problem with Dracula(I want my "screams" and I ain't ashamed to say it) and I may just get the Frankenstein set. I don't know,
with so much great DVD stuff out there I just can't afford it all.
If you time it right, using your "audio select" button on the DVD remote, you can hear the screams perfectly. However, make sure you QUICKLY switch back to track 1 after the scream otherwise you will hear the commentator.
Old 05-08-04, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
If you time it right, using your "audio select" button on the DVD remote, you can hear the screams perfectly. However, make sure you QUICKLY switch back to track 1 after the scream otherwise you will hear the commentator.
Hmmm, I would only watch this show in the dark, so I doubt I could pull it off without hitting the wrong button. Sometimes I feel I'm too picky compared to the Super-8mm days when I had no sound at all and chopped up, edited down to 15 minutes in length movies. But I want it perfect now, this is DVD baby!
Old 05-08-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
The hubs look to be fine. I believe the people at Universal simply were careless in placing the DVDs in the cases.
could be very true. I think it's what I've witnessed on many occasions: store personel and shipping providers dropping boxes full of dvds and tossing them around like they were in pre-school. gee...that wont dislodge the discs.

as far as the audio problem...I solved that a few days ago by getting the OOP disc to go along with the Legacy set.
Old 05-08-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where'd you pick that one up from, Gut? I was considering doing the same.
Old 05-08-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
For what it's worth, I was in two used DVD places today and both had several of the OOP individual titles. I'm guessing a lot of folks are picking up these boxes as replacements. I already had the Dracula one, but I may cherry pick a few.
Old 05-09-04, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Al Padrino
Where'd you pick that one up from, Gut? I was considering doing the same.
sorry for the delay....I snagged it off ebay for about $16. didnt really look for a better deal, I just wanted the damn thing and fast.
Old 05-09-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I figured that. I've been checking out some of the titles from the original set that weren't released this time around (i.e. Phantom of the Opera). But hell, I'm still looking for the Monster Legacy gift set. I hate this city.
Old 05-09-04, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Al Padrino
Yeah, I figured that. I've been checking out some of the titles from the original set that weren't released this time around (i.e. Phantom of the Opera). But hell, I'm still looking for the Monster Legacy gift set. I hate this city.
hey Al...I had an extra set sent to me by mistake and it should be here Monday. we could work something out if you want. send me a mail.
Old 05-09-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YGM.
Old 05-12-04, 06:52 PM

Just got mine from Amazon and... floaters! Disks two of Dracula and Frankenstein are scratched/unplayable. The Frankenstein case is broken. I will honestly admit to hating Universal right now.

Is there any chance I could just get replacement disks? I think this was asked earlier, but I didn't see an answer. Any ideas?
Old 05-12-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine from Amazon yesterday. I appear to be one of the lucky ones with no floaters, the set was in perfect condition.
Old 05-12-04, 10:07 PM

Mine just came today and the 2nd Frankenstein disc was loose. Don't know if it will play yet, though. I'll give it a watch tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.