DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Friday the 13th box set update:Good & Bad News........ (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/360326-friday-13th-box-set-update-good-bad-news.html)

Julie Walker 04-23-04 07:15 PM

Friday the 13th box set update:Good & Bad News........

Well the worst news was mentioned today by Peter Bracke on the set. Not one film in the set will be an uncensored version:(

Here is his reply from the Fridaythe13thfilms.com forum....

Hi All

Peter Bracke here. We recorded the Part 3 commentary today and it went great (or so they tell me in the control booth). Reuniting for the first time in twenty-two years were Richard Brooker, Paul Kratka, Larry Zerner and Dana Kimmell. It was quite the thrill and I think you will all really enjoy the commentary. Unfortunately, Tracie Savage really wanted to be there also but had a prior commitment and the schedule for the DVD set is so tight this was the only day to do it. Also, I believe Larry will be sending along a little reunion pic from the commentary to Blake soon.

Also got some info on the box set as well. While the set is planned for a fall release, due to post-production time required, legal clearances, replication, etc., the set is being finished as we speak and there willl be no further interviews/commentaries, etc. There will be the four commentaries already mentioned here.

And this info I'll let you assess as you will. There will be no uncut versions of any of the films on the set, which will be five discs - two flicks per movie and a bonus disc of supplements. There will be side-by-side comparisons of uncut footage on 1, 6 and 7, as well as the TV scenes for 4. Total supplements will run over 200 minutes and include new featurettes with interviews with all of the attendees to the Fango convention earlier this year, plus Sean Cunningham, Joseph Zito, Tom McLoughlin, John Carl Buechler, Rob Hedden and Tom Savini.

That is all I know, but hopefully this will give you something to anticipate come fall.

Best,

The films with commentary are part 3(cast),6(director),7(Kane & Buechler & 8(Heddon).

Now I understand that actual film prints of part 7's footage could not be found. So most likely the Kane workprint tape is what is being shown on the dvd.

Not sure if part 6's uncut footage is workprint VHS or film elements..but it is said to be in poor condition & thus not planned to be restored into the film. Still a seemless branching option sure would have been nice.

Still that does not make sense for not giving part 1 the uncut treatment,since quality prints are easily available. So VERY disappointing on that front.

On the extras front,hopefully the commentaries & interviews will be worth it. Also I hear the alternate ending for part 3 will be included. That will be great to see.

Still they fell short big time in the most important area,which was uncut prints!

AdamComic2 04-23-04 07:18 PM

Yeah, but you had to know they were grasping for straws when they were appealing to fans for any uncut footage.

asianxcore 04-23-04 07:46 PM

I'm all for owning the Friday the 13th series with some solid extras (since the originals were all barebones), but man I'm really disapointed that none of the movies will be unrated. not sure if i'll get it now.

Mountain Biker 04-23-04 07:48 PM

I'm definitely stoked part 3 will have a commentary, but I was really hoping parts 1, 2, and 4 would have one also. Does the uncut Warner overseas release for part 1 have a commentary? And do they own the foreign distribution rights for parts 2-4?

siberianhusky 04-23-04 08:02 PM

Very dissapointing, unless its cheap, which I doubt, I'm out.

LasVegasMichael 04-23-04 08:26 PM

I still haven't picked up the Nightmare series, so I seriously doubt I will ever pick this one up (unless it is deal on balls cheap like Police Academy was/is).

The only horror franchise that I have the nearly full set of is Halloween, which is, in my opinion, the best series, but that is just me.

QuiGonJosh 04-23-04 08:57 PM

I'm happy with my current DVD's...

Tony Dvdfan 04-23-04 10:01 PM

Big disappointment, i had been holding off buying the original ones till unrated ones came out, guess i'll pick up the barebones ones now, since they're pretty cheap.

Rypro 525 04-23-04 10:26 PM

wonder if paramount will put 5.1 tracks just to piss julie off.

Julie Walker 04-23-04 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
wonder if paramount will put 5.1 tracks just to piss julie off.
:) well this is Paramount,so I suspect they will include the original mono & stereo soundmixes as well!

So no complaint there. But if they are 5.1 only,then yes I would be pissed off. Especially if they sound as terrible as part 7s 5.1 mix.

Judge Dredd 04-23-04 11:19 PM

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

This is one of the worst sets I've ever heard of!

Only 5 discs, with 2 movies per disc, that is really really really stupid! Then no Cunningham or Miner commentary? This set sounds really stupid and doesn't sound like they're putting any money into it.

Is the documentary "Return to Crystal Lake" going to be on there? If not, that's just another step down, what are the full specs? Will there be interviews on all the movies? Deleted scenes? Trailers? (Probably not), this sounds terrible!

I've waited for no reason.

asianxcore 04-23-04 11:39 PM

I heard Tom Savini was going to do commentary on the 1st one? are they still doing that?

cineman 04-24-04 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Mountain Biker
Does the uncut Warner overseas release for part 1 have a commentary?
Yes, there is a commentary. It is not scene specific, but is anecdotes/thoughts from Cunningham, Savini, Palmer, King and Peter Bracke.

Rogue588 04-24-04 12:46 AM

Wow this sucks.

Where's the good news..? :hscratch:

DieBarneyDieNY 04-24-04 12:49 AM

so i take it they arent restoring the 3-d print for pt 3 huh?

chemosh6969 04-24-04 01:56 AM

Originally posted by DieBarneyDieNY
so i take it they arent restoring the 3-d print for pt 3 huh?
i'm glad i have my copy of it already :)

Julie Walker 04-24-04 02:16 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Wow this sucks.

Where's the good news..? :hscratch:

That some of the uncut footage was found in the first place:)

But the bad news is everything else;)

Living Dead 04-24-04 05:30 AM

It seems like they're rushing this to get it done and get it out for sale instead of taking the time to do it right. Not having the uncut footage is understandable, but they basically said they aren't doing commentaries for all the films because they don't have time. Why not take a little extra time and make a definitive set? I'm glad I bought the singles when they dropped to $9.99 last year, because I don't think I have an interest in this set anymore. Sounds to me like it will be released incomplete.

C.H.U.D. 04-24-04 08:43 AM

I think I'll stick with my current DVD's. They'll have the same anamorphic print, so I don't see it being worth it. I already spent enough money on the originals. Kind of disappointing, but that's Paramount for you.

matome 04-24-04 09:31 AM

Uncut was the only possible selling point for me. I'll keep my current set of DVDs

steebo777 04-24-04 10:16 AM

Originally posted by matome
Uncut was the only possible selling point for me. I'll keep my current set of DVDs
Same here dude. What a bummer...

mljones99 04-24-04 10:32 AM

Looks like I will just pick up the current releases here and there till I have them all.

TomOpus 04-24-04 10:55 AM

Well, I'll wait to see what the price will be... otherwise I might just pick up some of current releases.

QuiGonJosh 04-24-04 11:18 AM

I'll say $50 since its just 5 discs...

chemosh6969 04-24-04 11:30 AM

I think I will just wait to see the final result before I say about half a year early whether I will buy it or not.