Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th box set update:Good & Bad News........

Community
Search

Friday the 13th box set update:Good & Bad News........

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is an email from Larry Zerner(Shelly in part 3) posted on the friday forum....

Hey Brenna and Blake

No doubt you heard a little about today's DVD commentary from Peter Bracke. For me, it was certainly fun to see Richard, Paul and Dana again. They all look great, as you can see from the attached photo. Me, Paul and Richard saw each other in August 2002 at the L.A. screening. But none of us had seen Dana in 22 years and she was great. For all of the criticism she has taken over the years because of the Fangoria interview (which she doesn't remember giving), I can tell you that she had nothing bad to say about the movie today and we all had a lot of fun doing the commentary. We tried to make it interesting and tell a lot of stories that the fans would want to hear and hopefully, we succeeded. You will have to judge it for yourself when the Box Set is released.

I can see from the posts on the forum that a lot of people are disappointed that there aren't going to be more commentaries or uncut footage in the box set. I certainly understand their disappointment, and wish there was something I could do. However, I can tell you that the people at Toolbox tried hard to put together as much as they could. Some of the footage (like the alternate ending in Part 3) is simply lost, and will never be found. But I think they tried to accommodate the fans' wishes. As for having flippers instead of single discs, a 5-disc set is going to have a price point that's about half of a 9-disc set, so I think that Paramount was thinking of the fans when they made that decision. Since the films are already available in single disc editions, keeping the sales price down is a key consideration.

I do want to tell you about my mistake during the commentary and apologize to you now, before you hear what I said. During the commentary, I was talking about the fans and I mentioned your website and what a great job you guys do. I meant to say "Brenna 0'Brien and Blake Washer" but what came out of my mouth was "Brenna and Brian" Forgive me Blake, by the time my brain caught up to my mouth, someone else was talking and I didn't get a chance to correct it. But the forum will get a mention, if not your name.

Larry
Old 04-24-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
^Was that the guy with the afro?
Old 04-24-04, 12:39 PM

Yes...though on the site,they posted a reunion pick with all the people on the commentary...& it was pretty amazing. Since they all looked pretty good(yes Dana still looks cute..shocker!) despite their ages. You would think they would look ewwwwwwww by now. But not the case,even Richard Brooker(Jason) who I never knew what he looked like,actually looked normal & dare I say it attractive?
Old 04-24-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Since I don't own any of the F-13ths yet, It looks like I'm gonna have to start with this set...Regardless of the bad news.

But to tell you the truth, I was never let down with the gore in any of the death scenes in the series. Except for one. It took place in part VII where
Spoiler:
we get this lengthy build-up to one of the victims who is looking for a midnight snack in the kitchen. Like I said, It's a lengthy build-up and all we get is a weak, knife-in-the-stomach gag with not a drip of blood to be found

And since part VII is said to have an unrated cut, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was re-shot to be toned down.
Old 04-24-04, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I have all the originals I'm not intrested since they arent uncut. I'm just going to rip the extras off each disc and make a bonus disc to go with my current set.
Old 04-24-04, 01:43 PM

I was looking forward to the set...I'll wait and see what the set looks like when it's released to make my choice.

Too bad Traci Savage couldn't make it to do the commentary. She used to be a local news reporter on KNBC here in Los Angeles. Her topless scene in the movie came to light during the OJ Simpson trial and she soon disappeared.
Old 04-24-04, 03:32 PM

Yea it's funny that everyone bashed Dana Kimmell for years when in the end she ended up helping with the boxset while Steve Miner who always claimed to be a fan of horror movies turned them down.
Old 04-24-04, 04:15 PM
Banned

Well, I will buy the set. It has extras and will take up less space than eight discs. I will be happy.
Old 04-24-04, 04:22 PM

Does anyone know if Part 3 will be in 3D??

I hope so....
Old 04-24-04, 05:34 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
I'll read reviews once it comes out...and then I'll decide. But two flicks per disc is pretty silly all right.
Old 04-24-04, 07:06 PM

Does anyone know if Part 3 will be in 3D??

If Paramount could not afford better extra's on the set I doubt the 3rd movie will be 3-D and It was meant to be a different 3D process then there used for Spy Kids 3D. Sorry

How much does a studio pay for a blank DVD and to print something on it?

a 5-disc set is going to have a price point that's about half of a 9-disc set.
I doubt it, unless we are talking about the Star Trek series what have been release, When you buy a second disc it adds $5 at the most but Paramount will still charge the same amount if it's 5 all 9 discs set.

I would of been happy if Paramount took another 6-12 months searching for more stuff for this set, fans would of been disappointed but in the end we would of had a better result then this.

What happened to the first movie? I have seen the Australian region 4, it's an O.K print what could of done with a bit of remastering but it's there, it sounds like there went for a cheap way and bought the extended scenes what can not be included in the movie.

...BMatt

Last edited by BrunnenMatt; 04-24-04 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Pelayu
I'll read reviews once it comes out...and then I'll decide. But two flicks per disc is pretty silly all right.
Why ?

It keeps the cost down and as they are not long movies I dont see what the problem is having 2 on a disc ?
Old 04-24-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
what's the story behind the Dana Kimmell bashing..?
Old 04-24-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Even though I'm not a Jason fan, I have to say that I feel for you guys. Especially with the news of a re-release of The Exorcist 3. How many fans does that flick have? (yes I know some, but it's not nearly as well known as Jason Voorhees).

You probably should have seen this coming though, when Paramount refused to let William Shatner do a new cut of STV. When they won't pony up the bucks for their golden child, it doesn't look good for the bastard stepchild.

This boxset sounds like a complete waste of time, makes me glad I'm not a fan.
Old 04-24-04, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
what's the story behind the Dana Kimmell bashing..?
In an old Fangoria issue on the time of part 3s release. She mentioned how she was not really into horror films,prefers more moral movies(or something)..& that she was unhappy with the sex & gore in the script & asked for it too be toned down.

So since it is not the most graphic of the series and the sex is mostly teased at,but never shown. Many fans assume it was all her fault and have ripped her apart since then.

They also blame her for 'changing' the ending of the film,which no one knows for sure why it was changed.

But I think they are overreacting..and such,since she was a no name actress then. Has no power over anyone,she was not a 'big' star. So why would they listen to her & let her rule over them?

Anyway fans seem to miss how superior part 3 is too part 2. It is actually a clever little tension filled frightfest,with the most frightening & intense final chase out of the entire series!

It will be interesting what Dana & the crew have to say on the commentary. It should be a blast I hope.
Old 04-25-04, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Even though I'm not a Jason fan, I have to say that I feel for you guys. Especially with the news of a re-release of The Exorcist 3. How many fans does that flick have? (yes I know some, but it's not nearly as well known as Jason Voorhees).

You probably should have seen this coming though, when Paramount refused to let William Shatner do a new cut of STV. When they won't pony up the bucks for their golden child, it doesn't look good for the bastard stepchild.

This boxset sounds like a complete waste of time, makes me glad I'm not a fan.
You hit the nail right on the head. F13 are the only horror movies I like, and time and again I see nothing done for them while genre movies with 1% the exposure and fanbase get full restoration and special treatment.
I didn't care that they waited to release all 8 movies on DVD before anouncing the boxed set, because I figured the boxed set would contain uncut films (which is what all the letter writing and petitions that set this boxed set into motion were about!!). Now I'm supposed to buy a set of movies I already own to get a few random special features, which should have already been on their initial 29.99 list price releases? They can't even say the footage can't be restored, because part 1 got an uncut release overseas. I'm sure any other company, or even monkeys, could correct most or all of the movies. My guess is that a half-assed set will be released, then the last drops of blood will be squeezed when another company is permited to pay to do the restoration. Cha-ching!

I am very happy about Dana Kimmell though, as she's one of my favorites and I always said her one comment to Fangoria was blown out of proportion. If it's worth the price of a boxed set to hear her talk about F13 3 is what I'll have to decide.
Old 04-25-04, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Hamburger3
Why ?

It keeps the cost down and as they are not long movies I dont see what the problem is having 2 on a disc ?
I don't bother about the cost. If they have a lot of space left, they can just put bonus materials in there. If they don't have any new bonus materials together with time/desire to remaster the series properly, they just don't release them. I, for one, won't be much disspapointed. But squeezing two flicks into one disc (no matter how short they are, and they are not) just pisses me off. I'm more than sure, they will look like ass.
Old 04-25-04, 08:36 AM

They are all around 90 ish mins so at around 3hrs for 2 movies I just dont see that as having to squeezing them on the disc.

They are just a bunch of slasher flicks not some great work of art.

I like them but I think the presentation will be fine. I doubt their is a lot of bonus material for them anyway.

And Im glad I did not get burned by getting the individual releases so these will do nicely.

Not uncut but I expect good video and audio plus some extras and you get the entire series for a cheap price.
Old 04-25-04, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Hamburger3
They are all around 90 ish mins so at around 3hrs for 2 movies I just dont see that as having to squeezing them on the disc.

They are just a bunch of slasher flicks not some great work of art.

I like them but I think the presentation will be fine. I doubt their is a lot of bonus material for them anyway.

And Im glad I did not get burned by getting the individual releases so these will do nicely.

Not uncut but I expect good video and audio plus some extras and you get the entire series for a cheap price.
Your reasoning makes sense. Anyway, I'm still persisting in my own opinion. We are just different about what it takes to get a good DVD release. That's all.
Old 04-25-04, 09:06 AM

I do understand your reasoning as well.

It just worries me to think of the cost of a 10 disc set.
Old 04-25-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am still going to get the set. I didn't get the original releases, because I figured down the line there would be a box set.

I sucks they are not uncut, but I am afraid this is all we are going to get.

This set is just like the Nightmare on Elm Street set. In that box set parts 1 and 5 are not uncut, even part 5 had an uncut VHS release.

The discs should be flippers as well, so it isn't as bad as putting two films on one disc.
Old 04-25-04, 01:18 PM

Well since they got Apocalypse Now Redux which is 202 minutes on one disc,which looked and sounded excellent(expect for the blah framing.dam DP revisionism!). I think they could possibly do the same with two Fridays per disc.

Anyway I was thinking back to all the little teases given out by Martin Blythe and can see where the disappointment lies(with good reason).

He teased us with 'now that the MPAA proved cuts are out,we are going to go back and rerelease SEs..and you know how horror fans love uncut versions".....then late last year after hte announcement,when people questioned Paramount with they would never release anything uncut-unrated. Blythe chimed in "I Would love to prove you wrong,but will keep quiet for now".

Thus everyone expected at least 'some' of the films to be uncut. So what the hell went wrong? Talk about false hopes. I just hope these specs are an April fools joke and the real specs will surprise us. But I will wait and see,but something tells me not to get too excited about this set.

If the specs are true so far(not complete btw..I am sure trailers will be included). Then this set is not my 'must buy' of the year as it would have been.
Old 04-25-04, 01:29 PM

Will we get a gimmicky box (ala Battlestar Galactica) with Jason or the hockey mask?
Old 04-25-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 films per disc??? Quality is probably gonna suffer. If it's not released at dirt prices, I'll pass.
Old 04-25-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well hopefully the 2 movies per disc will put the price down a bit, I can't really say I'm suprised, the "All Uncut" nonsense I know would never happen.......however if its at a good price I maybe double dip..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.