Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Official Star Wars DVD specs from the official site!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the new, official specs of the upcoming Star Wars DVD.

When the Star Wars trilogy arrives on DVD on September 21, the digitally remastered and restored films will be accompanied by over 10 hours of bonus material that goes inside the making of these classic movies.

Each film resides on its own disc, with sharp, pristene imagery restored and remastered by Lowry Digital Images, and the rich sound experience of the saga presented in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. The films also include new commentary tracks, featuring insights from George Lucas, director Irvin Kershner, actress Carrie Fisher, sound designer Ben Burtt, and Industrial Light & Magic's Dennis Muren.

The fourth disc is packed with bonus material, the most notable being Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy. This two-and-a-half hour documentary traces the evolution of the saga, from a low-budget labor-of-love space saga to the movie phenomenon that defied the odds and reinvented the rules.

This comprehensive documentary features all new interviews with George Lucas and more than 40 members of the cast and crew from the original trilogy, as well as a host of filmmakers and media personalities. Empire of Dreams includes some never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the three films.

Other material on the fourth disc includes:

Episode III Behind the Scenes Preview: The Return of Darth Vader: Finally, Star Wars: Episode III will reveal just how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, the most iconic villain in film history. In this exclusive preview, George Lucas discusses Anakin's descent, with a first look at the new Vader costume forged for Episode III. Also, experience how Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor have prepared for the epic lightsaber battle that has been anticipated for more than two decades: the climactic showdown between Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The Birth of the Lightsaber: Its unforgettable hum and scintillating glow are instantly recognizable around the world. Now, viewers will discover the origins of this elegant weapon from a more civilized age in this documentary devoted to the lightsaber.

The Characters of Star Wars: An in-depth look at how favorite characters came to be, featuring rare concept art, behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with George Lucas and the cast and crew who shaped the screen's favorite heroes.

The Force Is With Them: The Legacy of Star Wars: Star Wars opened up a galaxy of possibilities to a generation of filmmakers and creative talents. Hear from some of the most notable filmmakers of our time about how influential the Star Wars movies have been to their lives.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer and Playable Demo: The fourth disc will offer a trailer featuring an exciting look at the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront video game from LucasArts, along with a special demo for Xbox users that lets players fight the Battle of Endor as a Rebel or Imperial soldier and drive AT-STs, ride speeder bikes and use different weapons to lead their side to victory. The full version of Star Wars Battlefront will also be released Sept. 21 for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC.

Star Wars: Episode III Making the Game Preview: Video-game players will be able to experience the stunning Jedi action of Episode III themselves in the new Star Wars: Episode III game, due out in Spring 2005 for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. This special feature shows how game developers at LucasArts worked behind-the-scenes and on the set to create the most authentic Jedi experience ever.

Original Trailers and TV Spots: The original theatrical teaser, launch and re-release trailers for each film, plus TV spots, are featured on the DVD.

Never-Before-Seen Production Gallery: Delve into an unseen corners of the Lucasfilm Archives with exclusive photos from the making of the trilogy, with hundreds of rare behind-the-scene images.

Posters and Print Campaigns: The original releases of the Star Wars films came at a time when international campaigns produced a wealth of intriguing, alternative poster art. Explore a collection of theatrical posters from around the world.

Exclusive DVD-ROM Content: The Star Wars Trilogy DVDs are keys that unlock exclusive content available only through a special DVD-ROM website.
Sounds good to me!

Last edited by Terrell; 04-19-04 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No talk of Kurosawa, huh>>???
Old 04-20-04, 12:03 AM

I'm quite sure Lucas will mention Kurosawa in the big documentary!

Here's a pic Steve Sansweet had shown over at JediCon in Germany. Perhaps the first shot of Hayden Christensen as Vader? Who knows! Just throwing that out there.

Old 04-20-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like a solid effort. Good to hear that the supplementals are longer then short featurettes.
Old 04-20-04, 12:08 AM

Surely, in order to accommodate that much material, that 4th (Bonus) disc will be dual-sided & dual-layered (DVD-18).

???
Old 04-20-04, 12:12 AM

Surely, in order to accommodate that much material, that 4th (Bonus) disc will be dual-sided & dual-layered (DVD-18).
I was curious about that as well, and I assumed the same thing. That they would use a DVD-18 disc for the bonus materials disc.
Old 04-20-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-20-04, 12:42 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 04-20-04, 12:45 AM

Damn I can't wait.
Old 04-20-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd say
2.5 hrs for the main doc
1 hour- 1 hour 20 minutes, split amongst all the other featurettes (12 minutes for the lightsabers, 10 minutes for the legacy, etc)
with the remaining space to be used for still galleries.

looks to me like they could easily get all this material down to the 4 hours a dual layered single sided disc could hold.

i have 0 interest in the game releated material, and even the Ep 3 material would make for a better 'packaged inside the shrinkwrap' bonus premium.
otherwise it just 'dates' the set (not that the set isn't already dated by his inane '04 edits and inclusions).
Old 04-20-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-20-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-20-04, 01:30 AM

i'd say
2.5 hrs for the main doc
1 hour- 1 hour 20 minutes, split amongst all the other featurettes (12 minutes for the lightsabers, 10 minutes for the legacy, etc)
with the remaining space to be used for still galleries.
But the announcement clearly says 10 hours of bonus material. Maybe the game constitutes 3-4 hours, but I doubt it since it's a demo. Plus, you forgot about the teasers, trailers, and TV commercials, which are quite numerous. Those alone may add around 40-45 minutes, if not an hour or more if they put every trailer on there. Judging by what's listed here, not including the game, there looks to be at least 5 hours of material. That's still too much for a dual-layered single-sided disc, unless you don't mind having some seriously compromised video quality.

Then again, they are probably including the commentaries in that 10 hours. Even so, there still looks to be well over 4 hours even without the commentary tracks.

Last edited by Terrell; 04-20-04 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-20-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm 100% certain they are including the commentaries in with the "10 hours of new features".

and the films running times all come out to
6 hours and 16 minutes.

technically, all they have to have is 3 hours and 50 minutes of video material on this bonus disc and that will put them over 10 hours of bonus material.

also, tv spots generally last only 60 or 30 seconds.
i wouldn't expect more than 5 minutes of tv spots for ALL of the movies total (i'm happily surprised they are putting these on there at all, considering they didn't with the Indiana Jones set- i'm, expecting a few now, but certainly not every one ever made).
the trailers would be longer, but i would still bet not much more than 15- 20 minutes for all of this promo material.

the still galleries take up very little space.

and like i said, i expect those other featurettes to be in the 7-12 minute range.

2.5 hours for the doc
1/2 hour for the trailers/tv spots
40 minutes for the rest of the featurettes, and the remaining space for the still galleries and discs menus.

looks like a single side, dual layer disc to me (not that i'm complaining)

Last edited by ckolchak; 04-20-04 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-20-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure it all seems like a sweet set, but everyone keeps forgetting they are the Special Editions. Garbage!
Old 04-20-04, 02:19 AM

looks pretty sweet!
Old 04-20-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure it all seems like a sweet set, but everyone keeps forgetting they are the Special Editions. Garbage!
rather than look at this set as the special editions (which i agree are garbage), i prefer to think of this set as a great collection of extended trailers and long demo scenes for my HT (surely there has to be a few good chunks lasting 10-15 minutes where Lucas's horrid cgi revisionism doens't make an appearence).
Old 04-20-04, 03:26 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Lara Means
Nope - havent forgotten that they're the SE's. Looking foward to them, in fact.
Old 04-20-04, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Can I assume that there aren't any deleted scenes in the new set, then? Namely, the Biggs Darklighter scenes and the alternate introduction to Luke Skywalker where he's watching the Blockade Runner/Star Destroyer battle through binoculars.
Old 04-20-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Can I assume that there aren't any deleted scenes in the new set, then? Namely, the Biggs Darklighter scenes and the alternate introduction to Luke Skywalker where he's watching the Blockade Runner/Star Destroyer battle through binoculars.
Old 04-20-04, 07:53 AM

Nope - havent forgotten that they're the SE's. Looking foward to them, in fact.
Couldn't agree more! You don't like it, don't buy it. Either way, they still feel, look, and sound like the original films to me. There are only 4-5 bad changes, and I think most of the changes are good. So I'll be there when it's released with bells and whistles on.

the trailers would be longer, but i would still bet not much more than 15- 20 minutes for all of this promo material.[
Well, if they relase every trailer starting with the first trailer for each, plus the SE trailers and all of the TV commercials, we're talking one hell of a lot of trailers. If they release every variation of teaser/trailer made for all 3 films, we're talking about 28 different trailers. But I doubt they'll put every single trailer made for the films. I'd be shocked if they did.

Can I assume that there aren't any deleted scenes in the new set, then?
I have heard that some of the deleted scenes will be in the big documentary!
Old 04-20-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone have a time machine I could borrow real quick so I could have this set in my hands now?
Old 04-20-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds excellent to me!!

A few minor gripes:

Commentary - man I wish some of the others would have joined up or been invited. It would have been so great to have Harrison Ford (not surprised he didn't do it) and especially Mark Hamill for it. Sort of depressing that no one else was able or willing to do it. I'm glad Carrie Fisher is doing it, but I really hoped for more. They fell short in this area for me.

Deleted Scenes. I guess I'm not surprised since Indiana Jones had none, but we know the deleted scenes exist in a format easily transferable to DVD. Studios have to know this is one feature lots of DVD enthusiasts like. I cannot imagine why they didn't include them. Too bad for Biggs...

Other than that, I can't wait to buy this! I love the SE's by the way, in response to the stupid comment above.
Old 04-20-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This set may be the all time DVD best seller before it is even released.
Old 04-20-04, 08:25 AM

Sounds like an awesome set. Can't wait to pick this up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.