Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Official Star Wars DVD specs from the official site!

Official Star Wars DVD specs from the official site!

Old 04-21-04, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the original "false" anouncement two weeks ago there was something about a documentary all about 1977 and what was going on when Star Wars was released. I wonder what happened to that?
Old 04-21-04, 11:56 AM
Retired

Sounds fantastic.
Old 04-21-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Lightsaber documentary, along with the 2.5 hour one will be fantastic. I agree with Modfather that OT is better, but I love the movies so much I'll end up buying the SE.

Modfather,

I wouldn't count on them releasing the OT the following year. It's just not gonna happen, as much as we would like it to.
Old 04-21-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could live without the video game "previews" (translated - advertisements), but otherwise it sounds decent.

I burned out on SW for the most part years ago, so I'm not as jazzed about these as some people.

I'll still probably get the set in September, regardless.
Old 04-21-04, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Terrell
I believe Ford and Hamill are involved in the documentary. I know Hamill stated he was. As for Ford, he a depressing man to have to listen to. He's dead on his feet, and you almost have to slap him to see if he's conscious. So I won't miss him at all.
This fact is why I question any future theatrical release of Indy IV. With Lucas' shoot-down of the proposed script, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this film will never be made. At least not with H. Ford. He'll be too old by then. He don't look all that well now.

There's no doubt whatsoever that it will be the 97 SE with significant FX cleanup. If I was guessing, here's what I think will be done.

- Removal of matte lines
- Lightsabers redone
- shadow effects redone
- digital recompositing of any and all poorly composited shots
- CG Jabba in ANH redone with a newer, better look Jabba
- The Emperor in ESB replaced with Ian McDiarmid's Emperor
- other general effects cleanup and touchups
- Han/Greedo scene fixed so it looks better, but not restored

That would be my guess. But from what has been seen and heard, there's no doubt they're doing major cleanup and touchup in all 3 films.
And I welcome all of that. These fixes should have been done back in '97. I'm just anxious to see the remastered 4K resolution job done by Lowry Digital. What I'm most anxious to see is if they can remove the fade, washed out look that still remained in several scenes, such as the "oil bath/Leia hologram" scene.

If they can make these films look like they were shot yesterday, I'll be more than happy.
Old 04-21-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they can remove lukes girly scream from Empire then that will be great.

And anything to patch up the terrible job the SE did on ANH (bad Jabba etc) would also make this set a potential buy for me.
Old 04-21-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those are some earth-shattering suggestions...
Old 04-21-04, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants
In the original "false" anouncement two weeks ago there was something about a documentary all about 1977 and what was going on when Star Wars was released. I wonder what happened to that?
Anyone?
Old 04-21-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No idea - that entire thread has been removed or deleted.
Old 04-21-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The set looks great. I already have my copy on preorder.

Excellent job.
Old 04-21-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pants
the specs were out there a couple weeks ago, and then a rep from LFL chimed in and shot them down as being 'incorrect'.
it turns out they were mostly correct, except that the '77 featurette was not on there, and the Legacy featurette, whcih was said to contain material pertaining to the merchandising phenomenon of the films, is actually going to be about other filmmakers gushing about how much SW inspired them.

some people are suggesting (hoping) that the 77 featurette may be released by Best Buy or some other retailer as a in sotre promo on release day.
i think it will be a longshot.

it should have been on this set .
it belongs on there far more than a tacky video game advertisment/demo.
Old 04-22-04, 11:17 AM
Banned

Thanks ckolchak!

I was looking forward to that it sounded fun.
Old 04-22-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can you show me a list of what they thought would be on it? I remember it being quite dissimilar - such as the 3-part Ep. III preview's titles and all that stuff. Maybe my memory is logged by too much studying :S
Old 04-22-04, 03:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

So what happens to these arguments when Peter Jackson changes the Gollum shots in FOTR for a future edition?
Old 04-22-04, 03:50 PM
Retired

Originally posted by scott shelton
So what happens to these arguments when Peter Jackson changes the Gollum shots in FOTR for a future edition?
To be fair, that would compare to the touched up special effects in the SE's and very few people complain about those.

They complain about stuff added and changed that altered the movies plot line/character development (i.e. greedo shooting first, luke's scream) or stuff that was just poorly done (i.e. the jabba cgi in ANH, the musical number in ROTJ), not the new CGI X-wings in certain shots for instance.
Old 04-22-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
Wouldn't matter because people would already have the EE and/or the TE by that time on DVD so they won't have to buy that hypothetical future edition. That's the main gripe of the SE bashers. Not that they're not given the choice to have the Classic Trilogy per se--cuz they CAN have it via VHS and LD--but that they're not given the DVD choice.
Old 04-22-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you guys think there will be availability problems with this set when it's released in September? Someone mentioned that it already is selling like crazy because people are preordering them. Are they preordering them because they want the lowest price, or because they are know it won't be easy to find when release date comes?
Old 04-22-04, 04:31 PM
Suspended

It wasnt a problem with Indy, and even if this was 50% more popular, I doubt that store will run out.

I havent pre-ordered yet not because of waiting for the best deal, but I'm waiting to see if Best Buy has a bonus disc with it.
Old 04-22-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good call, it may be worth it to wait and buy it at BB for that bonus disc. Hopefully it will be something more substantial than the one they included in the Indy set! Anyways, I'm sure most B&M's will have plenty on hand to keep up with demand. Usually with big releases they get a whole aisle for it.
Old 04-22-04, 04:41 PM
Suspended

Even if it's insubstansial like the Indy disc was, it'll still be worth getting. Just turn around and sell it on E-Bay for 15-20 bucks, and your boxed set will be a bargain!
Old 04-22-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
It wasnt a problem with Indy, and even if this was 50% more popular, I doubt that store will run out.
Wasn't a problem with Indy?? Some stores in my area (especially Best Buy stores, with the bonus disc) were sold out by noon on the first day. I am sure that peoples' stories about disc availability vary by area, but my guess would be that if you didn't have a problem finding Indy on release day, you probably won't have a problem finding Star Wars. However, if you did have a problem finding Indy, it will only be worse this time around.
Old 04-22-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man I can't wait to pick this up!
Old 04-22-04, 08:13 PM
Banned

if Mona Lisa were blonde .. that's Lucas' attitude towards Star Wars. special edition nonsense. 1978 through mid 80's, I can see it. great trilogy, great enjoyment, experience and fun.. now it's just another overhyped, commercialized venture. Lucas should give this set to all free and he would still be a billionaire. all aside, i'll be picking it up
Old 04-22-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even if it's insubstansial like the Indy disc was, it'll still be worth getting. Just turn around and sell it on E-Bay for 15-20 bucks, and your boxed set will be a bargain!
That's what I am waiting for --- it worked out great for Indy.
Old 04-22-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how getting it for $36 shipped from Amazon could get any better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.