Community
Search

Used DVDs- Your opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Used DVDs- Your opinions wanted

I am looking for help from my fellow DVDTalkers! I am starting to research going into business for myself (or, continuing research I started some time ago I should say). I am looking for your experiences/opinions on used DVDs. Where do you buy/sell/trade your used DVDs? How much do you expect to get/pay for them? What are you looking for in a DVD specialty store? Any thoughts or information would be appreciated!
Old 04-18-04, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sell used DVDs on ebay or at stores that sell used CDs and DVDs. I buy them online, at rental retailers, yardsales, pawn shops, whereever I can find ones I like at good prices.

For Used DVDs I expect to pay about $10 or LESS, depending on the title. Many of the major chains very often have titles priced at 10 or have deals where you can buy one and get the second free or something like that. If the titles are largely over $10 and especially if they are very high above that level, I turn elsewhere (online).

For a DVD specialty store I'd be interested in selection and knowlegdeable staff. That means more than just the new release wall at Blockbuster - you'd want to see foreign films, cult films, independents, etc. Also, staff must understand the difference between various versions, be able to speak with some knowledge about anamorphic widescreen and DTS soundtracks, etc.
Old 04-18-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
There are a couple places I buy used DVDs from. One is a "Mom & Pop" store and the other is one of the SecondSpin outlets. Their prices (for the most part) are pretty reasonable. Another thing I like about these places, is that the discs are (so far) in great condition. I never sell discs so I assume they check 'em out pretty well when others bring them in. At the "Mom & Pop" place, they have a sign that states only the manager can buy discs.

Usually I'll look for "off-the-beaten-track" kinda movies. Sometimes it's fun just to browse to see what I can find. But sometimes I'll miss a newer release of a "mainstream" movie and, if I see it fairly cheap, I'll pick it up.

If I pay $11 - $14 for a disc that normally sells for $20, I'm okay with that. $15 - $16 for a disc that's around $25 new is okay too.

Oh, and I avoid places like Blockbuster/Hollywood Video.
Old 04-18-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pick up used stuff here, eBay, pawn shops, record stores, the jockey lot, and various other places. Movie Gallery has been very kind to me also, seeing how they come in the original cases with all inserts, here at least.

I want the lowest prices possible also. I'm talking, more than 50% off if possible. When I get something used, I want a deal, and I usually get it. I also hate when people write the price on the DVD cover, etc... Keep the DVDs looking as new as possible, and a great price, and everything will be great.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 04-18-04 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy my used stuff from Movie Gallery or Hasting's, almost exclusively. If it's used, I rarely pay more than $10 for it. If it's something rare or a big set, I would pay more than that but only if it's SIGNIFICANTLY less than I can buy it new somewhere.
Old 04-18-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the pay the lowest price possible, usually between $5-$10. Used DVD's have to be in "Like New" condition including original case and all inserts and I avoid ex-rentals like the plague.
Old 04-18-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
well, i buy quite a bit from Columbia House, so i'd expect to pay less than, say $6 for a mainstream DVD that's in near mint condition. i'll sell some stuff on ebay or half. i like selling stuff in lots. sure, i don't get as much, but my time is worth more than the effort involved in selling individual discs. as for a dvd specialty store, it should have a wide range of stuff, especially non-mainstream stuff that you can pick up anywhere else.
Old 04-18-04, 05:46 PM

As for used DVD's, the only interest I would have in buying them is in the out of print ones. I have only one used DVD in my collection and that is "Westworld"(the MGM print, the WB one I bought new) which I bought on half.com. For unloading my unwanted DVD's, I took a batch to my local comics store and got a nice trade credit with them and I would go that route again if I ever come up with another batch I no longer want in my collection. The only time I'vd been in a B&M store looking at used DVD's was at a "Half Price Bookstore" and when I picked up a DVD case and looked at it I realized if I really wanted to buy this I would have to wait in line at the counter, wait for them to pull the DVD, then they would stare at me while I examined the DVD for defects and I would feel under the gun to make a decision.
Old 04-18-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I honestly buy alot from the Exchange Forum here and as HTF FS/FT. I also pick up discs at Hollywood/Movie Gallery, which I prefer over BBV, because they include inserts and original cases. I would not pay more than $10 for a used disc unless it was OOP or retailed for $30+. I would love an independent DVD store near me, and the ones I shop from online are places like xploitedcinema, dddhouse, and sometimes hkflix. Also since I'm a Criterion fiedn I would pay more than $10 for those, but definitely not more than 65% MSRP (I consider $20 for a $40 MSRP CC to be a pretty decent price, but wouldn't pay more than $22 for a used one since new ones are $27 including tax). Let us know if/when you decide to open up shop, I'd certainly be interested in browsing! Used are okay as long as they play, hairline scratches are no biggy for me, as I don't tend to add scratches to the discs I buy.
Old 04-18-04, 07:51 PM
PwA

I buy my used dvd's from a small chain of stores here in Southern Ontario.

They have a good range of selection (new/criterion/box sets) and they always have all the inserts and are in like new condition.

That being said some prices are a little high (Groundhog Day SE @ 20.99 Cdn when its on sale at best buy on their 2/30 deal)
Old 04-18-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I buy used DVDs just about anywhere. Usually I'll check places like The Wherehouse, since people constantly sell DVDs there for that 3 for 1 deal on Tuesdays. Also when I can get out there, Rasputin Music in Berkeley. Recently I've been buying used DVDs at Blockbuster with their "Buy 2 get 1 free" and "2 for 20 Deals" and just replacing the cases. The price for used DVDs depends I usually won't pay more than 12 depending on the DVD. If I can get it new for a 1-3 bucks more, I won't bother with the DVD. Oh and also it depends on the rarity too.
Old 04-18-04, 09:59 PM
Banned

I buy most of my used DVD's from a flea market about 30-45 minutes south of me. I go there every Friday, have a nice Thai lunch, and hit the flea market when it opens in the afternoon.

As far as prices go... for standard DVD's (not full season sets of shows), I expect to pay 50% of the standard retail price. There's no reason to buy something used if I can to to the store and get it for $3 or $4 more brand new.

For season sets, I might pay a little more, but not much. The guy I buy from generally sells season sets at anywhere between 50-70% of retail.

One of the things I think is important - a store owner needs to pay attention to prices at local stores. When I go look at used DVD's and the guy is selling crap that I can buy in the Wal-Mart for $5.88 or Meijer's for $9.99 brand new, and he wants $12 for it used, I move on without looking at the rest of his stock. It's a tell-tale sign that the guy is just dabbling in this, or that he's relying on making money from idiots that don't know how to compare prices.
Old 04-18-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never spend more than $10 for a used DVD and usually shoot for $7. As others have said, obviously, they need to be in good condition and in the original case with inserts.

Stew
Old 04-19-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Typically, I buy used DVDs for anywhere between $5-$10. I don't like spending anything more, unless it's for a box set. I go to local CD/Game Exchange stores or buy off places like half.com They need to be in good condition, have all materials, and of course, they have to be widescreen. In addition, I try to make sure the boxes don't have a lot of stickers on them (unless they come off really easy).

Usually I sell on Amazon Marketplace. It's pretty easy, and one can typically get a decent amount for it. Otherwise, I've sold a few things on ebay as well.

I don't buy used DVDs all that much, unless it's rare and really hard to come by or something that I can't get through Columbia House or am impatient. I might buy a used DVD or two a month.
Old 04-19-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pick up my used dvds from Rogers Video here in canada. I usually wait till they drop to $9.99CDN. Recently picked up bad boys 2 for this price and will probably get Freddy vs Jason as soon as it drops from its 12.99 prics to 9.99

I sometimes check out Blockbusters but prefer to buy at Rogers since they are nicer to deal with.
Old 04-19-04, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Add me to the group who will only buy used if unavailable or a better deal than through Columbia House ... in other words, mainstream stuff has to be less than $7 on average and in perfect shape for me to bite.
Old 04-19-04, 07:18 AM
Banned

I pick up a lot a used DVD's and have sold hundreds of DVD's.
Old 04-19-04, 09:44 AM

My target price for a used DVD is 8 or under. I have paid up to 12.95, but they were either Criterion or other high MSRP.
Old 04-19-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Used DVDs- Your opinions wanted

Originally posted by Abob Teff
I am looking for your experiences/opinions on used DVDs.

With the exception of a couple of discs that wouldn't play in my old player (they play in the new one), I haven't had a problem with used discs. I've noticed that now that DVDs are more common it seems that used DVDs are generally well taken care of -- even ex-rentals. I buy used DVDs often *IF* they are significantly cheaper than I can get them new.

Where do you buy/sell/trade your used DVDs?

I generally buy my used DVDs either from Blockbuster or online at either Half or Amazon and on the rare occasion eBay. I usually sell my DVDs on half or Amazon -- less hassle than eBay in my opinion. I've traded some in at the Wherehouse before when they were doing a 3 for 1 deal (3 used for 1 new).

How much do you expect to get/pay for them?

When I buy used DVDs I'm looking for a bargain. I want to be able to get the used DVD for a significant discount over the new price. For an example. If I can get a new DVD for $15, I'd expect to get the used for $10 or less. If I can get a boxed set for $40, I expect to get the used for $30 or less. I'm ONLY interested in how much cheaper it is than *I* can get it new (not MSRP, but the cheapest it can be found online/B&M).

When I sell DVDs, I'm just looking to sell it for about as much as I'd be willing to buy it for. I generally look at what other people are selling theirs for and sell it at the lower-end of those prices. So if I see see a lot of people selling their DVD for between $10 and $15. I'll probably sell mine for between $10-12, depending on the condition, etc.

What are you looking for in a DVD specialty store?

I'm not sure I'm really looking for a specialty store. My tastes are fairly mainstream. I do like some British TV, mainstream foreign films, and the occasional indie/art-house flick.
Old 04-19-04, 12:14 PM

I'm selling my entire collection.
Anyone interested look at my DVD profiler list and tell me what you want to buy...???

my email: [email protected]

Jason
Old 04-19-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Originally posted by Keith123
For unloading my unwanted DVD's, I took a batch to my local comics store and got a nice trade credit with them and I would go that route again if I ever come up with another batch I no longer want in my collection.
What was "a nice trade credit?" I'm trying to find out about how much places pay for used DVDs and what prices we (as consumers) are willing to part with them.
Old 04-19-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I expect to pay $6-8 for basic, bargain DVD's and no more than $12.00 for new releases. I would pay no more for the following box sets if I saw them used:

Sex and the City: Season *: $20.00
Lord of the Rings *: EE: $15.00
Back to the Future: $20.00
Alias Season *: $25.00

I only sell DVD's at those shops with a DVD price book or a computer uplink to a DVD price database. These outlets purchase your DVD's for market value prices. For instance, I sold my Local Coconuts "Adaptation" and "About Schmidt" for $9.00 each precisely 2 months ago. I sold them "The Reanimator: 2-disc" for $7.00. I sold "8 Women" for $4.00.

The point is, even though Reanimator was a souped up special edition I got more for the prior two because they were newer and more in demand. Stores that are conscience of this usually get my money in terms of selling and buying.

If you're going to open a store that sells used DVDs, be sure to keep them in their own section, separate from the regular price DVDs. The stupid Cocunuts (franchise store) in my area decided to mix their used DVD's with their regular priced ones, forcing bargain hunters to browse their entire collection of movies. I haven't bothered buying from these idiots since.

Secondly, I'd recommend a bargain section of DVD's selling for no more than $7.00, after tax. Your bargain section can't contain all crap either.

Finally, be nice and maintain price equilibrium. Sure, the Criterions have a greater market value than regular DVD, but it would make an impact on the customer if you didn't jack up the price.
Old 04-19-04, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I buy a few used discs from a local M&P, but mostly buy new discs, since they're so cheap.

I won't pay more than $8 for a used DVD, which has to be in pristine shape (NO SCRATCHES, and ALL inserts, etc.) since new discs go for around $13-15 at the same store.

Usually I'll buy more expensive new discs used - any of the non-A-list Hitchcocks, some boxed sets, etc.

I got the first two seasons of Alias for $20 each. That's a little better than half the price of the sets new.

Mostly you just want to make sure that the shelves aren't filled with crap that no one wants, because if they look around and see only bargain bin type stuff at worse than bargain bin prices (i.e. more than $5.50) they won't buy.

DVD is really a new sellthrough media. With prices being so low it's hard to make anything on used discs unless you pay bottom dollar for them.

But no one will want to sell for less than around $7 or buy for more than $10. That's only a $2-3 markup on each disc. So you have to be able to get a lot of volume.

If you buy only pristine discs and make sure that people don't steal the inserts (believe it or not, that's a common problem) then your store will get a reputation for having quality stuff. Make the price good and really trim those margins down as low as you can survive on and you'll do fine.
Old 04-19-04, 05:48 PM

I usually buy used from either ebay or once in a while I've traded a few online. I have purchased used DVDs at Blockbuster, but only 2 times. They were running the buy one, get one deals and the discs were in good shape.
Old 04-19-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A local Blockbuster had a huge DVD sale a little over a year ago, and they were in the original cases, all inserts, no stickers on anything, etc...

That was a fun few weeks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.