Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Tarantino's big plans for 'Kill Bill' DVD's...

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tarantino Has Big Plans for Future DVDs of ‘Kill Bill’
Author: FRED TOPEL
[email protected]
Posted: April 12, 2004

Buena Vista/Miramax Home Entertainment bows Kill Bill: Volume 1 this week, timed to the April 16 theatrical release of Volume 2. The DVD will have only minimal extras: a making-of featurette, a music video and trailers. Writer/director Quentin Tarantino has plans for a major special edition of both films, and he also plans a full cut of both volumes put together, which will debut theatrically.

“We did a special version for Japan that’s only been shown in Japan and Hong Kong, and I kept the rights to that,” Tarantino said. “So after Kill Bill 2 has come out and does everything it’s going to do [at the box office] … just like they did with Once Upon A Time in America when they came out with that four-hour version, I’ll release the Japanese version that’s never been seen outside of Hong Kong and Japan. I’ll put the Japanese version together [with Volume 2] like I would if it was one complete movie, and then I'll release that throughout America and Europe in arthouse engagements.”

The Japanese version has both additional content as well as omissions. “For instance, at the end of Volume 1, there won’t be any closing credits,” Tarantino said. “It will just go into intermission. And there’ll be the intermission card up there and there’ll be that music — the ‘Lonely Shepherd’ [performed by Zamfir] will play and take you out of the auditorium into the lobby. And then when we start Volume 2, it will just be Chapter Six, so no [prologue with] Uma driving in black and white.”

Tarantino stands by the DVD of Volume 1, but knew he had to focus on completing Volume 2 for theatrical release before he could get into more extensive DVD plans.

“I’m going to do a special collector’s edition of both of them once I’m finished with both of them,” he said. “I think it’s really cool what I’ve got in here now, but it was what I could do and still make Volume 2.”

Tarantino is also considering the possibility of releasing supplemental discs. “One of the things that I saw that I liked and I was very inspired by was what the American Pie guys did with their Beneath the Crust documentaries for the American Pie movies,” he said. “I want to do the same thing [for Kill Bill].”

There may be deleted scenes, too, as star David Carradine, who plays Bill, recalled a fight scene of his that was cut from Volume 2. Carradine fought Michael Jai White, whose character is completely omitted from the current film. “[The fight scene] was cut out because the scene was originally designed to be the introduction of Bill in the movie,” Carradine said. “And then Quentin wrote that scene at the chapel, and you can’t have two introductions, but he loved the scene so much he decided to shoot it anyway and find some place to put it in, and obviously never found a place to put it in, but it’s a great fight.”
Old 04-12-04, 04:36 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tarantino's big plans for 'Kill Bill' DVD's...

Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo
I’ll put the Japanese version together [with Volume 2] like I would if it was one complete movie, and then I'll release that throughout America and Europe in arthouse engagements.”

“I’m going to do a special collector’s edition of both of them once I’m finished with both of them,” he said. “I think it’s really cool what I’ve got in here now, but it was what I could do and still make Volume 2.”

Tarantino is also considering the possibility of releasing supplemental discs. “One of the things that I saw that I liked and I was very inspired by was what the American Pie guys did with their Beneath the Crust documentaries for the American Pie movies,” he said. “I want to do the same thing [for Kill Bill].”
Damn, so there's going to be a crappy release of each movie, a version that has them combined together with the Japanese edit of the first one, separate special editions of each, and possibly some supplemental discs?

That seems a bit excessive/ to me and really serves no purpose other than to rake in money for obsessive collecters (though at least he announced his plans ahead of time).

Thankfully, I'm not a collector and will just get the release with the two movies combined together.
Old 04-12-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I'm one of those "obsessive collectors" who will be spending a lot of money on these films over the next year or so. Not many films have this obsessive effect on me (Star Wars and LOTR didn't, for example), but this one did, and I'll happily spend my money on what ever QT puts out for it.
Old 04-12-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cultshock
I'm one of those "obsessive collectors" who will be spending a lot of money on these films over the next year or so. Not many films have this obsessive effect on me (Star Wars and LOTR didn't, for example), but this one did, and I'll happily spend my money on what ever QT puts out for it.
I'm with ya!
Old 04-12-04, 05:25 PM

I just want the DVD of both movies as 1 long movie.

I just don't want to wait years for it. I can see 10000 versions of these movies with QT...oi.
Old 04-12-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm definitely skipping the current release (that's what Netflix is for) but god only knows what I'll do with these other releases. I guess I'll wait and see what definitely gets announced. Knowing QT, some of his plans may never actually come to be.
Old 04-12-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Harvey and QT sure know how to milk it.
Old 04-12-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
I'm one of those "obsessive collectors" who will be spending a lot of money on these films over the next year or so.
agreed.
Old 04-12-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Coral
Harvey and QT sure know how to milk it.
No different than the multiple releases of LOTR.
Old 04-12-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So essentially he just split them in half? I figured there would be something special in a longer cut. Different edits, like scenes from 2 would be mixed in with one and vice versa. ala Pulp Fiction.

If it is just the two movies are split just like they are now then who cares about 1 long version? I mean really? If it is a 4 hour long cut, it is going to be on two discs anyway. You still have to get off your lazy ass to pop in disc 2. Whether that is disc two of a long cut or vol.2 itself you still might have to switch, so I don't see the point. You wouldn't sit through the credits at the end of one, you just pop in vol.2. No biggie.
Old 04-12-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My hopes would be that after the Vol. 2 DVD, he just releases a box set with the both volumes (w/ intermission) over two discs, and another disc or two of supplements.

I hope that's what he means by the American Pie example, because I really hope there isn't six different versions of each film.....That'd be ridiculous!
Old 04-12-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't care about extras at all. Should I just go ahead and buy the current version? Or, do you think he will release a Director's Cut or expanded edition when this SE comes out? I wonder if the SE will just be extras.

EDIT: I may have answered my question here:

http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=4260

Last edited by DavidH; 04-12-04 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 06:25 PM

Even though the Japanese cut of Vol 1 will be coming to U.S. theaters together with Vol 2 I still wouldn't bet on the Japanese version coming to Region 1 dvd. If anyone has enough pull with Miramax to get it done, though, it's Tarantino.
Old 04-12-04, 06:47 PM
Banned

This may be the most depressing DVD news I have ever read.

How can somebody like QT think the American Pie release model was cool? Not only does it piss off fans, it (IMO) takes away from the credability of the movies. Just think of the fun QT haters will have with things like "Kill Bill Again"...
Old 04-12-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally posted by matome
No different than the multiple releases of LOTR.
Not that I'm big on defending LOTR, but KB has been a milk-job since it hit theatres. Much worse in my opinion.

Barebones of each DVD, SE of each DVD, plus who knows how many combinations of DVDs they can come up with when they release it/them in UNRATED versions.
Old 04-12-04, 06:56 PM

I have a bunch of junk DVDs that I've gotten for free over the years which have been collecting dust on my shelves. For $12.99 (which includes giving Blockbuster one of my junk discs), I'll gladly spend that on Kill Bill Vol. 1.
Old 04-12-04, 07:01 PM

the QT haters might have more fun with the fact he is a guest judge on an upcoming episode of American Idol.
Old 04-12-04, 07:20 PM
Banned

I'll buy anything with the title Kill Bill from Tarantino!
Old 04-12-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Coral
Not that I'm big on defending LOTR, but KB has been a milk-job since it hit theatres. Much worse in my opinion.

Barebones of each DVD, SE of each DVD, plus who knows how many combinations of DVDs they can come up with when they release it/them in UNRATED versions.
I don't see the difference. LOTR had the lighter versions in there theater versions before the EE's.

I'm one of these collectors. I'm getting the R2, the R1 and have already seen Vol 2 and going back for more tomorrow.

Give me more and more!
Old 04-12-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, gonna agree with Jack here. Love the fact that I can pick it up tomorrow and enjoy the movie before seeing it again on Friday, and then love the fact that I can pick up a more substantial version on down the line. Did the same thing with LOTR and have/had no problem with it.
Old 04-12-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I am still gonna get my Japanese box set. If and when the time comes, I am sure I can sell the box set for around the same as I paid if need be.
Old 04-12-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well since he said he owns the rights to the Japanese version. Their is a small chance he could get it released via another dvd distributor,if Miramax is chicken to release it unrated.

So that is somewhat good news..but we will have to wait and see. I hope it happens,since I do not have $40 to purchase the Japanese dvd of Vol 1 yet.
Old 04-12-04, 08:08 PM

I have a question. The quote at the top of this thread said that Michael Jai White was completely omitted from the current film (which I'm assuming is Volume 1). Does anyone know if he appears at all in Volume 2. I met Michael Jai White and David Carradine last summer at a convention before Kill Bill came out, and I really liked Michael Jai White (David Carradine was a complete ass). It would be a real shame if Michael didn't make it into the movie at all!
Old 04-12-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
No Michael in Vol.2
You'll have to wait for the DVD.

Has Miramax done a 3-Disc before? An unrated one to boot?
Old 04-12-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like ill be waiting for the special editions. I wont wathc the movie enough to justify doube or even triple dip

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.