Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Deleted scenes change movie's meaning?

Old 04-10-04, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WARNING: Possible spoilers for 'The Terminator' here. I know, old movie, but just to be safe.

I picked up the special edition of The Terminator yesterday. Late, I know. My VHS has been on its last leg for a long time now. I needed a new version.

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I did look at the deleted scenes. As Neo would say, "Whoah!"

The scene with Sarah wanting to go blow up Cyberdyne would have totally set up the second movie, and IMO would have made the second movie make more sense for her character-wise. As it is, she went from being the soft, doe-eyed babe in the first flick to the muscle-bound, guerilla war chick in the next.

The ending is problematic, at least with how the second was made. The idea that the factory was Cyberdyne is interesting. But the building doesn't match with what is seen in T2. Of course, it could be explained away by the fact obviously many companies have more than one facility. And if this had been kept in the first movie, then the second may have been done differently. So I guess it doesn't really matter.

But that first scene, I think it was Sarah Fights Back, would have been a good character moment for Reese, too. A shame it was cut out.

But now that I've seen this stuff, it kind of changes my thoughts on both T1 and T2. Has that happened for anyone else, with this movie or any others?
Old 04-10-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are two that I can think of, but not to the extent that you are talking about.

One is Mallrats, where the entire plotline is altered by the alternate opening.

The other is Men In Black where the plot was adjusted by alien ADRs.
Old 04-10-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure if it would be considered a deleted scene, but the directors cut of Brazil radically changes the movie, especially the original ending.
Old 04-10-04, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Not sure if it would be considered a deleted scene, but the directors cut of Brazil radically changes the movie, especially the original ending.
The directors cut doesn't change anything too radically from the theatrical cut. If you're talking about the Love Conquers All studio cut then yes, that changes a lot, but I would never refer to it as having the "original ending".
Old 04-10-04, 02:36 PM

not sure if this counts . but for me it was clerks ..., the alternate ending really put the movie in a differnt "plane"
Old 04-10-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
American Beauty.

Deleted scenes of the trail of thora birch and the boyfriend that would have started and ended the film would have changed the movie completely.
Old 04-10-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
American Beauty.

Deleted scenes of the trail of thora birch and the boyfriend that would have started and ended the film would have changed the movie completely.
Jack, again, it's Mena Souvari, NOT Thora Birch.

But I suppose if it were Birch, the movie would really be changed.
Old 04-10-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
ah ok. my bad on that, I was pulling it from the top of my head.. by the way, why would it be "again"? I don't recall there being a first time.

Either way, an added opening and closing of the trail scene would have been a majory change in the film. It started and ended much better the way it was.
Old 04-10-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not out yet, but the "deleted scene" of the Mouth of Sauron showing the mithril to Aragorn and company and therefore making them believe Frodo is DEAD changes the entire meaning of the fight at the black gate in ROTK.
Old 04-10-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Definately have to go with The Abyss on this one.
Old 04-10-04, 06:35 PM

The Goonies

At the end, Data is explaining all the dangers they encountered, including fighting off a giant octopus...the octopus scene however was removed from the final cut. I never understood why he had made that part up until I saw the deleted scenes on the DVD.
Old 04-10-04, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by DVD Josh
Jack, again, it's Mena Souvari, NOT Thora Birch.

But I suppose if it were Birch, the movie would really be changed.
Um, no - Jack was right.

The trial was to convict Thora Birch and Wes Bentley's characters.

From IMDB:
After the film was complete, Mendes and editor Tariq Anwar decided to scrap a short fantasy opening and the lengthy epilogue in which Jane and Ricky are tried for Lester's murder, choosing instead to increase the three teens' screen time throughout the film; many of the cast and crew were caught completely by surprise when they saw the finished film.
You can also read the original screenplay, which can be found on the net (it may even be on the disc - I can't remember).
Old 04-10-04, 10:24 PM
Cool New Member

The alt ending to Training Day would have changed it, I actually like the alternate better.
Old 04-10-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Draven99
The alt ending to Training Day would have changed it, I actually like the alternate better.
I didn't really like it because it was more of a downer. Kinda like showing Ethan Hawke's character is the only "clean" cop on the force.
Old 04-10-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
Not out yet, but the "deleted scene" of the Mouth of Sauron showing the mithril to Aragorn and company and therefore making them believe Frodo is DEAD changes the entire meaning of the fight at the black gate in ROTK.
I thought that anyway when watching the movie. And I hadn't read the book or anything.
Old 04-10-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jack is right and I am wrong.
Old 04-11-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by Max Bottomtime
First thing I thought of when I saw this thread.
Old 04-11-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Um, no - Jack was right.

The trial was to convict Thora Birch and Wes Bentley's characters.

From IMDB:

You can also read the original screenplay, which can be found on the net (it may even be on the disc - I can't remember).

I always thought it was kinda weird how the trial was dropped, but the scene where Thora Birch's character asks her boyfriend to kill her dad is shown twice. It's so obvious that it's set up to make them look guilty, especially how he shuts off the camera right before he says "You know I was just kidding, right?" I love that movie, but that always gnawed at me.
Old 04-11-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Jack is right and I am wrong.
Joshowned.
Old 04-11-04, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Josh: YOU GOT SERVED!
Old 04-11-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My achy breaky heart!

Better practice my country line dancing or it's all over for me
Old 04-11-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get Carter's (Stallone version) deleted scenes would've changed Carter's image in the movie.
Old 04-11-04, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Max Bottomtime
Yeah, that's a good choice. Can't remember what all scenes "changed" the meaning, but I know they did pretty much give the movie in a different light.

And then going on what the original poster said about "Terminator", I'd have to say that a few restored scenes in the Terminator 2 Special Edition ALSO changed the feeling of the movie.

The one scene in the abandoned gas station where Sarah wants to destroy the Terminator's CPU after she takes it out. This showed that even after he rescued her from the mental facility that she still didn't fully trust him.

And another few scenes showing the T-1000 losing his coherance or whatever, after being blown apart so many times. Especially the scene in the factory at the end when he grabs a rail and his hand/arm meshes with the railing, and he has to "shake it off" like he's thinking, "Damn, I'm falling apart here." This makes the T-1000 look a bit more vulnerable than he looked in the original cut.
Old 04-11-04, 02:08 PM
Banned

Probably not to the extent of some of the others mentioned, but the extras in Series 7 puts somewhat of a spin on the how the ending should have been perceived versus what really happened. Those damn networks handing our souls to us on a silver platter ...

In all though, and admitting that I don't watch the extras on most of my collection, this one did stick out ..
Old 04-11-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blade Runner is the first film to leap to mind here. The dream sequence plus the changes at the end = different interpretation of the entire film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.