Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Deleted scenes change movie's meaning?

Deleted scenes change movie's meaning?

Old 04-11-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one's mentioned the deleted psychiatrist scene from Donnie Darko.
Old 04-11-04, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going with the Big Blue. The ending of american theatrical version (not available on DVD) is entirely different than the French "Directors" version. The American version leaves some much more interesting questions and has a sense of mystery that is missing in the directors cut. Incidentally, I think this was entirely accidental on the American release...
Old 04-11-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Destination

The deleted Scenes in "Final Destination" along with the alternate ending change the movie alot, it makes the audience care for Ali Larter's character alot more because of the emotional level of her character... and another character survives...
Old 04-11-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 519 Likes on 317 Posts
The original ending to Styx's mini-movie that opened the "Kilroy Was Here" tour featured Dennis DeYoung getting crushed by a thresher right after the Mr. Roboto number.
Old 04-11-04, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by dvdisoil
not sure if this counts . but for me it was clerks ..., the alternate ending really put the movie in a differnt "plane"
No kidding. That alternate ending for Clerks would have turned the entire flick into something of a dark comedy.

And then we wouldn't have had the pleasure of finally seeing Dante in color in J&SB.
Old 04-11-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
regarding the alternate ending of terminator 1, Cameron said that he cut the scene since it was poorly acted, but for 2, you could kind of figure it out even without having seen that scene.
Old 04-12-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 592 Likes on 417 Posts
Definitely the Abyss! The studio removed the entire point of the movie and hacked it into some forced love story. I remember seeing Abyss in the theaters and afterwards thinking "On the floor somewhere is the real movie." Years later I saw the director's cut on Sci-Fi and totally fell in love with a movie that was otherwise forgettable.

One I haven't seen mentioned is Erin Brockovich. After watching it I was left with that familiar feeling of "OK, it was decent, but there was something missing." The deleted scenes don't "change" the meaning of the movie, but they do bring in some character elements that would have driven the movie to the level that it claimed to be at.

To circle back around, another James Cameron flick "Aliens" had some significant emotional aspects that were dropped to keep the pace of the movie.

Old 04-12-04, 11:28 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by Abob Teff
Definitely the Abyss! The studio removed the entire point of the movie and hacked it into some forced love story.
That's not what happened at all. The studio said it ran too long, and told Cameron to cut it. How he cut it was entirely up to him. The theatrical version was in fact a director's cut.
Old 04-12-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

" A Perfect Murder"'s ending is very very different. (Patrow and Douglas)

I disagree on the Terminator, it is not much different. Who cares if it wasn't the same building? About 10-13 years had passed in the Terminator timeline, Cyberdyne could have easily moved in that span, especially with the money from its successes.

The only difference between "Sarah deciding to go to Cyberdyne" versus "random chance" is the idea of fate and destinty. something that was changed in T2 but reset in T3.

Sarah's transformation is already under way in Terminator..it is no suprise she landed up as she was in T2. Check out the way she builds the bombs and in the Mexican epilogue scene, already packing heat and preparing for the future.

Last edited by chanster; 04-12-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-12-04, 12:16 PM

Without a doubt the Aybss
Also Clerks, the deleted scene with Dante getting shot.
Old 04-12-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 592 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
That's not what happened at all. The studio said it ran too long, and told Cameron to cut it. How he cut it was entirely up to him. The theatrical version was in fact a director's cut.
Eh? Did we watch the same documentary? Or do you simply mean that Cameron was the one who did the actual cutting as opposed to a studio hack going in and doing it? I believe that you are right that Cameron did do it, but only because the studio told him to shorten it and focus more on the love story.
Old 04-12-04, 06:21 PM

Cinema Paradiso.

The original release focused on his relationship with the theatre projectionist (can't remember their names now) as a surrogate father figure. While the subsequent director's cut added back scenes between him and his girlfriend, developing that relationship, and ultimately the movie itself, into more of a romance.

Just my $.02.

-NHN
Old 04-12-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NoxHaveN
Cinema Paradiso.

The original release focused on his relationship with the theatre projectionist (can't remember their names now) as a surrogate father figure. While the subsequent director's cut added back scenes between him and his girlfriend, developing that relationship, and ultimately the movie itself, into more of a romance.
Good choice. One thing that struck me about the longer cut is how it changes Alfredo's character entirely. In the original release, he is this good natured father figure for Toto and sees the great potential in him, even beseeching him to leave the town. In the longer cut, this remains so, but we get to see to what lengths Alfredo would go to ensure Toto's destiny
Spoiler:
I mean, withholding the possibility of true love from Toto by not telling him that Maria had actually sought him at the theater was downright cruel.
I sort of hated Alfredo for that.