Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Can you name episodes of TV shows that have been edited on DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's getting to be a scary trend, but more and more shows being released on DVD have episodes with scenes that have been cut for some reason. Off the top of my head I can name The Mary Tyler Moore Show first season Christmas episode. Originally there was a scene with Mary in the office watching a Christmas show on TV. The TV is playing the song "White Christmas", and at the end of the song, Mary sings along with the final bars..."May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white"...then she took a dramatic pause and shut the TV off. The DVD shows her singing "May your days be merry...and immediately they cut to her shutting off the TV. This sounds minor but in reality it had an impact on the episode as the original version made you feel her loneliness more. This is starting to become a scary trend on DVD. I just recently bought the LOST IN SPACE season 1 set, and found a scene cut where Will Robinson is back on earth. Originally he ran into the sherrif who said something like..."wait a minute young fellow"...now they immediately cut to Will in the next scene. I have also been told that several episodes of the show SOAP have also been cut. Is this becoming a trend in the DVD market? Who can we complain to? Why are all these shows being cut? Can anyone else name any scenes from TV shows that have been cut on their DVD release?

CP
Old 03-25-04, 12:53 PM
Banned

They are cut most likely from wrong masters being used. I have the Will and Grace seasons 3 and 4 (coming) from the UK and I know of at least one episode that's been cut.
Old 03-25-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What was cut from SOAP?

I've heard of songs being cut/replaced, but not enitire scenes.
Old 03-25-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Trek: DS9 episode "To The Death" was edited, I believe.
Old 03-25-04, 02:53 PM

Lost in Space has numerous episodes where theres cuts...

On the plus side the 1st season of Gilligans Island seems to be all intact.
Old 03-25-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I've noticed that one episode of Buffy has changed music, but I'm sure that's a rights issue. I know it's not a really big deal, but I would have preferred the original music.
Old 03-25-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of scenes were cut out of the Family Guy Volume One release. Most notably the JFK PEZ depenser scene from the episode "A Hero Sits Next Door" and the Osama Bin Laden scene from "Road to Rhode Island."
Old 03-25-04, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Well, Rememberance of the Daleks in the UK had a couple of special effects accidently deleted. The scene is still there, but the Dalek gunfire isnt. This was fixed on the US release.

Also in Rememberance, there were snippets of two songs, one by the Beatles and one by the Rolling Stones. The BBC couldnt afford to get the rights to them, so they replaced the songs with covers.

Aside from that I think the other Doctor Who discs have been fine.
Old 03-25-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The first season of Profiler is MISSING AN EPISODE, because of the use of the Sting song "I'll Be Watching You (Every Breath You Take).

Star Trek's "City on the Edge of Forever" has different music in some places...but it's been that way since the VHS release of the show.

I'm guessing older shows coming out on DVD are going to have these problems because rights were never secured for DVD back when these shows aired. Newer/more recent shows that come to DVD shouldn't have this problem. For example, the producers of Smallville should be securing DVD rights for every song they are using in the shows airing now...

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 03-25-04 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-25-04, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They also edited two episodes of Mr. Bean in the DVD set. In "Merry Christmas Mr. Bean" they cut out how Mr. Bean got the turkey. And in "Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean" they cut the scene with the chair in the department store.
Old 03-25-04, 09:13 PM
Banned

Family Guy's Osama joke and a couple other parts were removed from the dvd
Old 03-26-04, 07:45 AM

I'm curious about the Mary Tyler Moore Show. The scene I mentioned previously was obviously cut, but from all I've read, I was under the impression that they re-mastered the entire first season. This is why we (the fans) are being punished for poor sales, by Fox not releasing the rest of the show...because re-mastering was so expensive that Fox lost money on the poor sales of the set...Anyway, if the show was completely re-mastered, doesn't this mean the transfers were made from the original 35mm fine grain negatives? If so, does this also mean the original negative was somehow cut, and is missing the original footage? It really is frustrating. I mean, the whole reason for buying a TV show on DVD is to own it complete and uncut. If not, we could just watch it on syndication right?

CP

Last edited by Cocopugg; 03-26-04 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-26-04, 08:20 AM

I heard that on Season 2 of Sanford and Son one of the episodes is the 22 minute syndicated version instead of the full length original version.
Old 03-26-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
A couple of scenes were cut out of the Family Guy Volume One release. Most notably the JFK PEZ depenser scene from the episode "A Hero Sits Next Door" and the Osama Bin Laden scene from "Road to Rhode Island."
Also, the Seig Heil chants are gone when Stewie makes a Birthday wish in Chitty Chitty Death Bang.

By the way on R2, JFK is still there.

In Futurama’s first episode “JFK Jr Airport” has been changed to “Mutant City Hall”. (both R1 and R2)

In South Park S1 Big Gay Al’s Boat Ride, the MJ joke is gone (flame away if you wish)

The Disneyland USA tin has censorship.

I think that’s about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 03-26-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
At least two episodes of "Angel" have been cut down.

Since Fox doesn't include the intros ("Previously on Angel"), they've removed bits that directly followed the intros on a couple of episodes in which the original material from the episode was diectly carried over from the intros.

This happened in the third season episode "That Old Gang of Mine" the episode's first line of dialogue has been removed. What happened was
Spoiler:
In the "Previously," we see Angel hanging Merl upside down from an S2 episode, and then it moves on to the aftermath of the Angel/Darla sex scene. The episode proper then begins with Angel looking into the camera and saying "That night still haunts me. I'm ashamed of how I treated you. The way I used you. I took - what I needed, then I cast you aside and that - that was wrong of me. Was very wrong." The joke is, it looks like he's apologizing to Darla, when in fact, it's Merl. On the DVD, the sentence "That night still haunts me," is missing. And also, removing the "Previously" destroys the joke that is being set up.

And in the second season episode, "Over the Rainbow," the scene immediately following the "Previously" is cut where
Spoiler:
the AI gang is briefly seen looking for Cordelia through Caritas after she got zapped to Pylea
in the previous episode.

Here is a transcript of the missing scene (from Buffyworld.com):

Cordy wakes up in the woods on Pylea.

Wesley looks around the club for Cordy, Angel is searching behind the stage curtains.
Wesley: "Cordy?"
Angel: "Cordy?"
Wesley: "Oh no. Oh my god, no. How could I've let this happen?"
Angel: "No. She's here somewhere. She's just hiding. Cordy! Cordy!"
Wesley: "Angel."
Angel: "What?"
Wesley: "She's gone. - Cordy's been sucked into the portal. She's in the host's dimension now."
Angel to Lorne: "Where's Cordelia?!"

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-26-04 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-26-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
In South Park S1 Big Gay Al’s Boat Ride, the MJ joke is gone (flame away if you wish)
Ugh - why am I not surprised to find this in here. This has been proven time and time again to be false...

Sex and the City - episode #2.5 "Four Women and a Funeral" the ending is changed to Samantha's story. In the original she is rescued by JFK Jr. but after his death the DVD set now has been redubbed to Leonardo DiCaprio. HUH?

Last edited by rfduncan; 03-26-04 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-26-04, 09:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
After repeated requests for proof in the other threads, do you have any yet? Or are you going to beat this dead horse even further?
The Disneyland USA tin has censorship.
More specific?
Old 03-26-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't believe nobody's brought up 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' yet. There were quite a few bad cuts on that set (though they corrected "That Wacky Queen", at least). I won't re-list them again, but this thread details it pretty well.

The "Futurama" change cited below was because JFK Jr. died right after the episode aired, so they changed it and, I guess, never changed it back. [I'd guess 'Sex and the City' was the same reasoning.] Thankfully, syndicated episodes of 'Seinfeld' weren't changed, so I assume those will be given to us intact.
Old 03-26-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
More specific?
I’m not sure exactly what. There’s one part that has “don’t try this at home” signs inserted, then there’s a couple of other things.

As for MJ, loads of unrelated people swear it was there (I used to have it). And MJ is neither the first nor the last child molester nor is child molesting defined by MJ. So no reason people should connect one with the other without thinking.

Last edited by Class316; 03-26-04 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-26-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe one of Cartman's lines in the episode "Death" is edited. The original line was "Kyle's mom is a dirty Jew." In video releases, the word "dirty" is bleeped out while it was left untouched during the initial broadcast.

Oh, and Homer is NOT seen falling down Springfield Gorge the second time in "Bart the Daredevil" in the season 2 DVD. That stuff was added in later in the first clip show featuring Homer's antics.
Old 03-26-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That Mr Bean cuts really pissed me off. Two of the most classic moments in those episodes gone! I sold my set and dont care to get it again unless they put it back in. I still dont believe that Rowan would cut them... if he really did then sorry, no more sales on Mr Bean stuff.
Old 03-26-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
I believe one of Cartman's lines in the episode "Death" is edited. The original line was "Kyle's mom is a dirty Jew." In video releases, the word "dirty" is bleeped out while it was left untouched during the initial broadcast.
right! That too!
Old 03-26-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
A couple of scenes were cut out of the Family Guy Volume One release. Most notably the JFK PEZ depenser scene from the episode "A Hero Sits Next Door"
Also, the Seig Heil chants are gone when Stewie makes a Birthday wish in Chitty Chitty Death Bang.

That's strange, because on the syndicated episodes (on Canadian television at least), those scenes are still intact.
Old 03-26-04, 11:21 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Wiseguy- had Nights in White Satin replaced in "No One Gets Out of Here Alive", and in the same episode Aldo singing in the van is shortened by a couple words (can't remember the name of the song he's singing.)

Fawlty Towers- "Kipper and the Corpse" is missing a line.

Three Stooges- (yeah I know, but they were a staple of Sat. TV in many areas, as well as weekday mornings on TBS/Superstation 17.) "Three Little Beers" is missing footage of golfballs dropping out of Curly's pants on the Three Smart Saps DVD.
I heard that on Season 2 of Sanford and Son one of the episodes is the 22 minute syndicated version instead of the full length original version.
"Blood is Thicker than Junk" is missing scenes that appear in the TVLAND version, yet still has 3mins +/- missing.
Old 03-27-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
At least two episodes of "Angel" have been cut down.

Since Fox doesn't include the intros ("Previously on Angel"), they've removed bits that directly followed the intros on a couple of episodes in which the original material from the episode was directly carried over from the intros.

This happened in the third season episode "That Old Gang of Mine" the episode's first line of dialog has been removed. What happened was
Spoiler:
In the "Previously," we see Angel hanging Merl upside down from an S2 episode, and then it moves on to the aftermath of the Angel/Darla sex scene. The episode proper then begins with Angel looking into the camera and saying "That night still haunts me. I'm ashamed of how I treated you. The way I used you. I took - what I needed, then I cast you aside and that - that was wrong of me. Was very wrong." The joke is, it looks like he's apologizing to Darla, when in fact, it's Merl. On the DVD, the sentence "That night still haunts me," is missing. And also, removing the "Previously" destroys the joke that is being set up.

And in the second season episode, "Over the Rainbow," the scene immediately following the "Previously" is cut where
Spoiler:
the AI gang is briefly seen looking for Cordelia through Caritas after she got zapped to Pylea
in the previous episode.

Here is a transcript of the missing scene (from Buffyworld.com):

Cordy wakes up in the woods on Pylea.

Wesley looks around the club for Cordy, Angel is searching behind the stage curtains.
Wesley: "Cordy?"
Angel: "Cordy?"
Wesley: "Oh no. Oh my god, no. How could I've let this happen?"
Angel: "No. She's here somewhere. She's just hiding. Cordy! Cordy!"
Wesley: "Angel."
Angel: "What?"
Wesley: "She's gone. - Cordy's been sucked into the portal. She's in the host's dimension now."
Angel to Lorne: "Where's Cordelia?!"

Thanks for posting these. I'm became a fan of both Buffy and Angel when they came out on DVD and I always wondered why people got so ticked off about the Previously on Angel its. The first scene you mentioned was good to finally hear about. It's almost a cruel joke and while I don't think it was neccessary....it is a shame it was edited.