Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question about P/V Blockbuster Titles

Old 03-24-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

They dont mark or put stickers on the discs themselves do they. I bought one a long time ago, and I'm not sure if they changed anything up. The stickers were on the case, so I could just change cases and such. Also how are they with keeping inserts and such? thanks! any info will help
Old 03-24-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No more stickers or markings on the actual DVD. I wouldn't hold my breath for inserts, but it has been known to happen that a PV DVD would have one. I buy more than half of my movies used these days with no problems.
Old 03-24-04, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, there's no stickers on the disc anymore, but you most often you don't get the original case anymore either. If it was a snapper you get it, but anything else comes in a rental case (I've seen a few exceptions such as the 2-disc Punch-Drunk Love). As far as inserts go, it's hit or miss. Most of the time they don't give you the insert (because the way the rental case is made there is no room for one inside without bending or warping it), but occasionally it will be stapled to the inside of the back coverart.
Old 03-24-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Originally posted by bjh_18
As far as inserts go, it's hit or miss. Most of the time they don't give you the insert
They usually toss them in the dumpster out back, for danol to pick up in the middle of the night.
Old 03-24-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I only ask because I bought 2 DVDs from blockbuster a long time ago used, and they came in their original cases, both with inserts, and I was thinking of taking advantage of that Buy 2 get 1 free sale they are having.
Old 03-24-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by asianxcore
thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I only ask because I bought 2 DVDs from blockbuster a long time ago used, and they came in their original cases, both with inserts....
Until they started tossing the original cases, I would usually find titles to buy .... and if they ever go back to the original cases, I'd probably go back to Blockbuster.
Old 03-24-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every DVD I've bought from the BBV I go to has come in the original case with inserts - no stickers on the discs, occasionally there is the store # written on the disc(if there is a black label spot), but it doesn't bother me, and is hardly noticeable. Another BBV I used to frequent had better prices at one time(now my BBV has it beat, because all movies are sold at $7.99 or lower), but they always put those clear "Disc Protector" labels on the DVD's and games, never had inserts/game manuals, and most of the time either not the original case, or the original case and cover looked like they had been chewed up by a dog.
Old 03-25-04, 05:56 PM

I absolutely refuse to buy previewed DVDs from Blockbuster because I absolutely despise the cases they use for rentals. Also, I rarely find one with an insert in it.
There is a videostore in a local SuperCenter Wal-Mart that was selling previewed DVDs, and I must have had to remove five labels from the case and another clear "Disc Protector" label, though that one came off pretty easily. Most of the labels were the glossy coated kind, but all the DVDs had one additional label with a new UPC Code on it for Wal-Mart to scan. It was a paper label, put directly on the case and complete hell to remove.

I asked them why they had to do that and they said it was to cover up the original UPC Code to they could sell it at a discount. That was fine, but why couldn't they put that pricing label on the outside of the shrinkwrap??????
Old 03-25-04, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
They usually toss them in the dumpster out back, for danol to pick up in the middle of the night.
lol