Community
Search

Punky Brewster Season 1 coming to DVD: June 1st

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Punky Brewster Season 1 coming to DVD: June 1st

From TVshowsondvd.com...

"...and indeed, it will finally arrive on DVD this summer! This press release came across earlier today from Shout! Factory, who is releasing this on June 1st. Even included are episodes of the animated spin-off It's Punky Brewster...this sounds like it will be a fantastic package! Read on:

SPUNKY PUNKY WILL TURN YOUR FROWN UPSIDE DOWN WHEN SHOUT! FACTORY DEBUTS SEASON ONE OF TV SITCOM ON DVD

PUNKY BREWSTER

Punky-Powered Four-Disc DVD Set Includes 23 Episodes Plus New Cast And Crew Interviews, And Episodes From Spin-Off Animated Series, Available On June 1st

LOS ANGELES, CA - Shout! Factory brings back the best of wholesome family television entertainment with the release of the complete first season of Punky Brewster on DVD. Seven-year-old "Punky" challenged goliath "60 Minutes" in the ratings race when the half-hour situation comedy debuted on NBC in 1984, proving American audiences were ready for child-friendly evening programming. Now the effervescent orphan Punky (Soleil Moon Frye), the dour old building manager Henry (George Gaynes), the best friend Cherie (Cherie Johnson), the stuck-up classmate Margaux (Ami Foster), and the huggable Golden Retriever Brandon return to brighten living rooms as a four-disc DVD set, available June 1st for $34.98 (suggested retail price).

The Punky Brewster: Season One four-disc DVD set includes all 23 episodes which aired during the 1984-1985 television season, four episodes of the animated spin-off "It's Punky Brewster" and new interviews with actors Johnson and Foster, creator/executive producer David W. Duclon ("Eve") and writer Barry Vigon ("Martin"). Notable guest stars during this first season include Andy Gibb (two episodes) and Dody Goodman.

Punky Power lives on in the very first collection of episodes from the hit TV show, "Punky Brewster." Soleil Moon-Frye stars as the abandoned little girl with an indomitable spirit who, with her faithful dog Brandon (named after NBC executive Brandon Tartikoff), brings light and laughter into the life of a grumpy, old building manager (George Gaynes). Both a touching portrait of her makeshift family and a joyful ride through her childhood adventures, "Punky Brewster" was a 1980s benchmark in fun, innocent television for kids.

About Shout! Factory: Shout! Factory is a multi-platform integrated entertainment company that was started by Richard Foos -- co-founder of Rhino Records, Bob Emmer - former Warner Music Group and Rhino executive and Garson Foos - former Rhino executive. It focuses on audio music catalog development and home video/DVD projects and television properties. Conceived as a broad-based retro pop culture entertainment label, Shout! Factory video and DVD projects range from live music and music documentary programs to offbeat special interest titles ranging from animation to sports content. Shout! Factory DVDs and CDs are distributed by Sony Music Entertainment.

* Punky Brewster - Season One
* Street Date: June 1, 2004
* Price: $34.98 SRP
* Sound: English Stereo

Wow, we're definately excited here! This show was the brainchild of Brandon Tartikoff, who (as mentioned above) was the source of the name of Punky's pet dog. Tartikoff reportedly knew in his youth a real-life "Punky", and thought it made for a great name for a TV series. He not only got the person's permission to use that name, but also got her to have an uncredited cameo on the show as one of Punky's teachers (source: TVTome.com).

We'll be on the lookout for further updates as well as cover art for this, so stay tuned for more. This is a set we all *knew* would have to make it to DVD sooner or later, and we feel lucky that it turned out to be sooner. Well, I feel lucky. Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya...Punky?"

I was never a fan of this show but what still surprises me is the fact that there are better shows waiting to be released on DVD.
Old 03-24-04, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, is everything coming out in June?

Quantum Leap, Dukes of Hazzard, A-Team, Land of the Lost, 1967 Spiderman, Simpsons, South Park, SCTV, Dick Van Dyke, The Monk...

Paul
Old 03-24-04, 01:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Disturbing...
Old 03-24-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God Help Us All.

I hear the theme from Small Wonder and Out of this World starting to rear their heads as well.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just freaky.
Old 03-24-04, 07:30 AM

I haven't seen this show it years. It will bring back some memories. The animated episodes will be a great bonus. I hope the girl who played Punky does some interviews. She was on Geraldo a few years back. Seems she had to have breast reduction because they were so huge.

^I wouldn't mind having Out of this World.

Bring on those 80's sitcoms: Alf, Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, Silver Spoons, Growing Pains, Perfect Strangers, Mr. Belvedere, Head of the Class, and especially Night Court.
Old 03-24-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, I don't think I'll be able to keep up. I just hope they follow through with the subsequent seasons and not just lure us suckers into buying every set that comes out and then move on to the next series premiere. S.W.A.T. anyone?
Old 03-24-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
OK, I'll be the first to say it... TV on DVD has officially jumped the shark.
Old 05-08-04, 02:15 PM

FYI, this is only around 20 dollars on DDD which is a great deal for the entire season! I hope that they eventually release the complete cartoons from this series as well.
Old 05-08-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Disturbing...
This means there's still hope for Small Wonder getting released!
Old 05-08-04, 11:04 PM

A few seasons in it became the only sitcom in TV history to make 15 minute episodes. NBC would run the 15 minute ones when football would go into overtime. Sheesh.
Old 05-08-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WTF?! This makes zero sense. Besides the DVD addicts on this site that buy anything produced, who will buy this other than Soleil Moon Frye? I want the Rockford Files on DVD! Do I have to wait until every other stupid show like Small Wonder, Growing Pains, Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Who's the Boss, etc. has been put on DVD first? Argh.
Old 05-08-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Punky Brewster Season 1 coming to DVD: June 1st

Originally posted by smirnoffski
[B]This show was the brainchild of Brandon Tartikoff, who (as mentioned above) was the source of the name of Punky's pet dog. Tartikoff reportedly knew in his youth a real-life "Punky", and thought it made for a great name for a TV series. B]
I don't mean to blaspheme the dead, but after reading this, I wonder if Tartikoff really was the programming genius that everyone said he was.
Old 05-08-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Wannabe
I want the Rockford Files on DVD! Do I have to wait until every other stupid show like Small Wonder, Growing Pains, Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Who's the Boss, etc. has been put on DVD first? Argh.
It's all a matter of taste. Personally, I'd buy every show you listed before I'd buy The Rockford Files. Actually, I'd never buy The Rockford Files. To each his own.

Rob
Old 05-09-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RobCA
Personally, I'd buy every show you listed before I'd buy The Rockford Files.
Exactly. I would/will be definately purchase ALL he mentioned as well (as we all know, DS and WTB has already been announced), but have no interest in RF.
Old 05-09-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Exactly. I would/will be definately purchase ALL he mentioned as well (as we all know, DS and WTB has already been announced), but have no interest in RF.
Okay, guys, stop pulling my leg. The Museum of Broadcast Communications says:
The Rockford Files is generally regarded as one of the finest private eye series of the 1970s, and indeed of all time, consistently ranked at or near the top in polls of viewers, critics, and mystery writers. The series offered superbly-plotted mysteries, with the requisite amounts of action, yet it was also something of a revisionist take on the hard-boiled detective genre, grounded more in character than crime, and infused with humor and realistic relationships. Driven by brilliant writing, an ensemble of winning characters, and the charm of its star, James Garner, the series went from prime-time Nielsen hit in the seventies, to a syndication staple with a loyal cult following in the eighties, spawning a series of made-for-TV movie sequels beginning in 1994.
While there might be a nostalgia factor with those other shows, none have been lavished with the same kind of praise that Rockford has received. Plus several episode were penned by David Chase, creator of the Sopranos. Come on, give Rockford its props.
Old 05-09-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, but it's still a matter of taste. I tend to buy shows because I like them, not because they've been lavished with praise. The Rockford Files doesn't appeal to me. I do hope that it's released for you, and other fans of the show, soon though.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 05-09-04 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-14-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Punky Brewster - Shout! offers fix for incomplete extra on Season 1

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1879

Punky Brewster - Season 1 was released at the beginning of June, and immediately became the #1 best-selling DVD of all time.

Wait, hold on. It did NOT become the #1 best-selling DVD of all time. But it DID bring a smile to the face of many fans, who fondly remember watching this series when it aired.

What could turn that smile upside down? No, it wasn't a "very special episode" that stifled the good feeling; it was an incomplete extra. Among the 4 disc set were 23 first-season episodes, and 4 bonus animated episodes from the Saturday-morning "It's Punky Brewster" spin-off cartoon. The cartoon on the first disc, "Glomer's Story", was missing the end chapter of the story. On the DVD, the story "ended" (kind-of) with no resolution, and it didn't make sense.

The fine folks at Shout! Factory, who put this set out, are standing behind their product 100%, and offer a solution for this:

For people who ask, we'll send them a DVD of the full "Glomer's Story" cartoon (it was missing a chapter on the original DVD). E-mail to [email protected]

And there you go! It's that simple, and when you write to them be sure to provide your name, address, phone #, and a brief description of where and when you bought the set. Our thanks to "Tory" for helping us with this story.