DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Desperado dvd - which? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/354284-desperado-dvd.html)

The Ferret 03-22-04 06:54 PM

Desperado dvd - which?

The superbit, the special edition, or the el mariachi/desperado box set. I haven't seen El Mariachi but i love the box art and i'm sure i would like it. All i have is a 24'' Toshiba TV so i doubt i would benifit much from the superbit. So is the SE the best one to get? Or is there word on a trilogy box set with once upon a time in mexico? Any oppinion on this would be great.

Moppy007 03-22-04 07:00 PM

I recommend the double-feature DVD with El Mariachi and Desperado if you can get it. I haven't seen the other releases, but this one is sweet as.

reubs82 03-22-04 07:00 PM

I got the boxset which is just the SEs of Desperado and El Mariachi, and I'm happy with both of them. I wouldn't see much benefit from a trilogy set as I feel that the first two were better films anyway. I say go for the box set. You won't regret it.

Mike Lowrey 03-22-04 07:17 PM

Yeah, I bought the box set of el Mariachi and Desperado, then bought Once Upon a Time in Mexico separately.

Tony Dvdfan 03-22-04 07:30 PM

If you have a setup for DTS, go with the superbit, otherwise go for the El M/Desperado set, which has the SE.

The Ferret 03-22-04 10:27 PM

What is El Mariachi like? Worth paying the extra $10 for? Can someone fill me in.

GregS 03-22-04 11:15 PM

i have all seprate, and no english dub for El Mariachi, i still have to watch it, but from the looks of it, its a good movie

Yocke 03-22-04 11:55 PM

andrewdow: It's an allright movie, but the reason to really watch it is to listen to Rodriguez's commentary and find out how he made a feature film for $7,000 and got his foot in the door in Hollywood at the same time.

eau 03-23-04 12:58 AM

The video on the Desperado Superbit is MUCH better than the older double feature disc since it is a brand new HD transfer. IIRC, the transfer on the SE uses the same master as the SB, so it should be better than the older double feature disc again.

D-Ball 03-23-04 01:34 AM

I'd get the Desperado/El Mariachi box set. It costs the same as Desperado Superbit. The extras on the Desperado SE and El Mariachi are definitely better than the minor improvement of A/V quality of the Superbit.

aam1 03-23-04 02:19 AM

For some reason, In Europe, we get the trilogy set.

TomOpus 03-23-04 07:00 AM

Originally posted by D-Ball
I'd get the Desperado/El Mariachi box set. It costs the same as Desperado Superbit. The extras on the Desperado SE and El Mariachi are definitely better than the minor improvement of A/V quality of the Superbit.
:up:

I know it doesn't help ya now but I got the boxset along with OUATIM when it was released. Best Buy had a great deal... all 3 for $25. Not too shabby.

mikewendt 03-23-04 09:13 AM

Go with the Double Feature El Mariachi/Desperado disc...

Michael Corvin 03-23-04 09:20 AM

Originally posted by eau
The video on the Desperado Superbit is MUCH better than the older double feature disc since it is a brand new HD transfer. IIRC, the transfer on the SE uses the same master as the SB, so it should be better than the older double feature disc again.
I second the pic quality on this one. The fact that you are asking probably means you don't have an HD setup. Therefore you probably won't benefit from the SB. So go for one of the other two releases.