DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   How many have not watched a series on TV,but collect the DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/354040-how-many-have-not-watched-series-tv-but-collect-dvd.html)

PHMustang2000 03-21-04 03:38 PM

How many have not watched a series on TV,but collect the DVD?

How many of you have not seen the entire series of a show on TV but collected the show when it came out on DVD? Also how have you all felt after you watched the set and have had to wait for the next set to come out just so you can see what goes on. I know that all the ones who bought Smallville - Season 1 and haven't seen any other eps are really wanting to know what happens next because I think it is a little longer of a wait then when we saw it on TV. After the season 1 finale of Smallville, we had to wait like 3 months to see the next ep. If you are waiting for the season 2 set. You prob have had to wait 2x longer like 6 months. Are there any shows you really want to buy because you have been waiting so long to find out what happens next?

For me I collect 24,Dark Angel and Angel

All are blind buys.

I just bought 24 - Season 1 - I heard good things about this show. I tried to sit through an entire episode when it airred on TV but I am always distracted and can't contentrate on what's going on. So I rented the 1st disc from Netflix and shortly after that I have bought the set. I am now on disc 4 and this show is great. Now that I have the set I can watch whatever eps I want and try to pace myself. I am now on episode 13 of 24 and I can't wait to see how this season ends.

I have Dark Angel - Season 1 - I have seen disc 1 and once I get done with 24 I will resume with Dark Angel.

Angel - Season 1 is my next buy. I will be getting it shortly. I have seen the first disc through Netflix and it is not as good as Buffy but def worth owning for my Buffy/Angel collection. It just feels wrong for me to collect JUST Buffy seasons without Angel or the other way around.

Another show I am gonna Collect is Freaks & Geeks - The Complete Show. I have heard good things about this show...thats why I am gonna get it. It might take me awhile since it is very expensive.
~PH

Tarantino 03-21-04 03:42 PM

I'd never seen Chappelle's Show until I got it on DVD.

Also, I got Oz Season 1 for real cheap a while back ($12.99), but I still haven't watched it all.

Admiral7 03-21-04 03:45 PM

My Blind TV Show Buys:

The Sopranos: Season One -- watched all 13 episodes in one day and was immediately hooked. Haven't missed an episode on TV since and have the first four seasons on DVD.

Smallville: Season One -- Since Season Three was debuting shortly after this release, and I had never seen a single episode of the entire series, I stayed away from watching it until Season Two came out. I wish they would release Season Three on DVD prior to Season Four coming on TV.

Andromeda -- I buy and only watch this on DVD and never on television.

ketya 03-21-04 03:54 PM

shogun------I never watched the series (I was a child), but read the book two years ago and then bought it.

nemein 03-21-04 03:57 PM

I have several:

The Prisoner
Spooks (MI-5)
Sandbaggers
Roughnecks: Starship Troopers (didn't see all of them in the proper order until DVD, too bad all of them aren't out :()
Same w/ Twilight Zone & Original Outer Limits (I was surprised to find there were some I hadn't seen)
Stargate SG-1 (everything beyond the 3rd season I never saw on TV)
Good Eats
A&E/PBS mystery series (Poirot, Ms Marple, Cadfael, Foyle's War, Midsomer Murders, Sherlock [w/ Brett])

If you want to include mini-series:
Band of Brothers
Shogun
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Smilie's People
Dune

scarredgod 03-21-04 04:04 PM

i just bought the first 5 seasons of Buffy from the fox sale even though i only saw 3 episodes previously. this series is great because the entire run is almost complete on DVD.

there are certain shows i dont bother watching on TV because i figure i will wait until theyre out on DVD and catch them then, such as Monk.

i think i got spoiled from MTV marathons when you catch a whole season of The Real World or The Osbournes in one afternoon, or The Mole on Fam channel. tuning in once a week doesnt cut it for me anymore.

JuryDuty 03-21-04 04:14 PM

I bought The Office after renting it at Blockbuster and I coudn't be happier with this hilarious series.

Big Worms 03-21-04 04:23 PM

I seem to prefer to just rent the serious rather than buy it. Well I shouldn't say prefer, just easier on the wallet. For example, I have been trying to catch up lately on Sopranos so I have just been renting them from Netflix. I just don't know if I would ever watch them again to own the entire series on DVD. This goes for X-Files, 24, Buffy, Sopranos, Friends, Sex in the City, and Angel. Maybe if they were not so expensive. X-Files goes for almost $120 per season!!

Addy 03-21-04 04:26 PM

The Office & Red Dwarf were complete blind buys for me. I love 'em both and am now big fans of both the shows.

EPKJ 03-21-04 04:34 PM

It depends on price and number of episodes. I will try out a short British series I have not seen, but not a 24 episode seies priced at $60.00.

jough 03-21-04 04:57 PM

I'd never seen more than an episode or two of Futurama and just picked up the first two seasons and have been entertained (although it's nowhere near as good as The Simpsons).

I bought Band of Brothers blind and loved it.

I'm thinking of re-activating my NetFlix account just so I can rent things like tv series and some other discs I've wanted to see but not buy.

Darkfriend 03-21-04 05:03 PM

I got "24 Season 1" as a gift and never watched the TV show. Man, I was hooked! I watched the whole thing in about 2 days.

So I bought season 2 without watching the show on TV. That way, I don't have to go bonkers for a week waiting for the next episode; I can find out NOW -smile-

LasVegasMichael 03-21-04 05:12 PM

During most of the 90s, I was rarely a TV watcher, but every once in a while I would catch a show I like (an episode or two), but rarely more then that.

In fact, prior to purchasing Season 1-6 of Friends, I had only seen two episodes.

In fact much of my TV shows were pretty much blind buys:

ER
NYPD Blue
Law & Order
Larry Sanders
Mad About YOu

Cheers, Gilligan's Island (obviously), and Friends were all ones that I had seen at least a few episodes of prior to purchasing.

Liquid Death 03-21-04 05:13 PM

I watch TV very rarely, tho I have quite a few TV series on DVD.

Friends (watched only one or two episodes on TV)
Smallville (saw one episode at a friend's house)
Simpsons (an episode here or there while in college)
Shield
Sopranos
Ben Stiller Show
Chapelle's Show (saw the preview on a season of South Park)
South Park (followed the VHS releases)
Punk'd
Roughnecks

The only TV series I followed on TV for awhile and have bought on DVD were the X-Files and GI Joe. At one point, I have to get Star Trek: TNG, as I watched that with my dad as a kid. I've only bought two TV series on DVD that I didn't care for and sold - Sex & The City and Mad About You.

atari2600 03-21-04 05:17 PM

i did for 24 season 1...loved it. cant wait for season 2 (just ordered...should arrive soon).

movie diva 03-21-04 08:29 PM

I am hooked on The Shield, Oz and just started 24, This is the way to watch a series no commericals and no pre-emptions.

JasonF 03-21-04 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Admiral7
Andromeda -- I buy and only watch this on DVD and never on television.
Be warned -- it underwent a serious shift in tone during Season 3 (i.e started sucking big time).

I had seen 1 or 2 episodes fo the Sopranos when I bought the Season 1 set. I got caught up and have been watching it on HBO since then.

I borrowed a few episodes of Buffy Season 1 on VHS :eek: from a friend back in 1998 or so. I enjoyed it, but didn't want to jump into the show during Season 4 (or whichever season was then airing), so I didn't watch any more until it came out on DVD. Since then, I still haven't watched Buffy (or Angel) on TV, but have picked up all the Season sets.

At some point, I'm planning to blind-buy Babylon 5 based on the good Word of Mouth it's received.

Eplicon 03-21-04 08:46 PM

Sex and the City. It was sort of a blind buy, although I kept on hearing on good it was, so I started when season one was available.

(I don't have cable, and still have yet to find the reason to have it again for the time being.)

Mike Lowrey 03-21-04 08:55 PM

Same here for me. I very rarely, if ever watch a drama on weekly TV. The only shows I watch anymore live are reality shows. With the exception of most of the 7th season of Stargate SG-1.

The way I look at it, you get more for your money when you buy a season of TV on DVD. I mean, you get roughly 20+ hours of entertainment for about the price of 2 or 3 first run movie DVDs, with the exception of the $100 sets, of course.

So yeah, I buy a lot of TV shows. In fact I've probably got more TV show entertainment hours on DVD than I do of individual movies. In fact, I know I do.

The shows I collect(ed) are as follows:
Star Trek: The Next Generation (probably saw maybe 25-30% of the shows when it first aired.)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (probably saw less than 10% of the shows during first airing)
Babylon 5 (saw less than 5% when first aired)
Highlander: The Series (saw less than 5%)
Xena: Warrior Princess (saw maybe 15-20% of the shows)
Hercules: Legendary Journeys (saw less than 10%)
Andromeda (saw between 5-10%)
Stargate SG-1 (saw probably, oh 35%)
Roughnecks: SSTC (saw 0%)
Beast Wars (saw 75% in syndication)
Shadow Raiders (saw 0%)
Band of Brothers (saw and taped 100%)
Shogun (saw maybe one episode out of the 10)

But like others here, I just don't like waiting a week to find out what happens. If there's a series or even a movie that I might like, I just wait for the DVD these days.

Once I finish up these series, which will be this year, I'll probably start collecting 24, Dark Angel, The Shield, Beastmaster, Alias, Jeremiah, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: Voyager, La Femme Nikita, and X-Men: Evolution

I haven't been to the theater since LOTR: TTT. Still waiting for the ROTK DVD to see that.

darqleo 03-21-04 09:12 PM

How many have not watched a series on TV,but collect the DVD?

I got tired of FOX screwing around with FUTURAMA so I decided to wait until they came out on DVD to watch them properly. Same with FIREFLY. I get a lot of the newer BBC stuff like THE OFFICE on DVD because it's hard to watch those in correct order or even at all if you don't have cable and/or BBC America.

Shimmer35 03-21-04 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Eplicon

(I don't have cable, and still have yet to find the reason to have it again for the time being.)

I don't have a big need for cable because I buy all the shows I like on DVD but because of college football I have to subscribe. I guess I could just cancel it after the season but that would be a pain in the arse to keep doing.

B.A. 03-21-04 09:38 PM

I did this w/ HBO's Band of Brothers

matome 03-22-04 07:48 AM

Never really watch TV but bought blind:

Buffy
Angel
Ben Stiller Show
Mr. Show
Dawson's Creek

I have yet to be disappointed (OK, except for Dawson's Creek).

Father Karras 03-22-04 08:11 AM

I think I'm one of the few people in this country that has not watched at least one episode of C.S.I. on when it runs on TV but bought the season one box set on a suggestion from my wife. She had watched a few episodes and now we are both hooked on the show. We are just finishing the season two episodes and looking forward to the season three box set at the end of the month.

MISS PEACH 03-22-04 08:31 AM

If you are counting mini-series . . . I love the Hallmark Classics, and bought the following four without having seen them first:

ARABIAN NIGHTS
THE ODYSSEY
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS
MERLIN

I think, like a lot of people, I generally trust the studio producing the work. A&E imports from Britain, BBC, Hallmark, Masterpiece Theatre etc. are where my tastes run. Also, anything produced by the Royal Shakespeare Company (UK).

PEACH