Reload this Page >

Atlanta Area Stores

Atlanta Area Stores

Old 03-17-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Area Stores

Hey all, just a quick question.
I live in the metro-Atlanta area, as I'm sure a good number of people on the board do, and I'm wondering if there are any good indie kind of stores for DVDs. I'm looking for anything that might have Criterions (sans Borders), imports, non-R1 titles, etc. I'm just looking for anything out of the norm where I could browse, really. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lived in Atlanta for six years and I never stumbled across such a beast... good luck.
Old 03-17-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There used to be a place off Mansell Rd that literally carried everything but they closed down 1-2 years ago. I scored alot of OOP titles there including Rabid Dogs, Black Rain, Tin Drum, Sid & Nancy, etc. I knew the place wasn't going to last because their inventory was huge and overpriced. There was also a similar place in N. GA Preminum Outlet Mall that shut down about the same time. There is a place is Little Five Points that carries Criterions and odd ball stuff but the prices are very high. Your best bet is to order online. Tower Records may also have some stuff...if its still open. If you want mexican, korean, chinese, etc. titles you can easily find those in specific DVD stores that cater to each region. Look on Buford Hway or Jonesboro Rd off I-285. You may have a shot at flea markets in those areas but you have to watch out for the bootlegs and poor quality DVDs. Good Luck!

Last edited by bmello; 03-17-04 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-17-04, 10:09 AM

I live in Acworth, about 45 minutes NW of Atlanta and I would love to find a store like that but it seems that we just dont have them down here for whatever reason. If you find one please let me know (I promise to leave you some Criterions).
Old 03-17-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is LaserLand still there? It is (or was) in the same plaza as Best Buy off of Cobb Pkwy North and 285. That place seemed to be on the up and up since they started as a primary LD store. When I lived in Norcross I used to go there all the time just to get stuff that I couldn't elsewhere.
Old 03-17-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That store is now mainly a HT-interiors/installation store. They don't sell software/DVDs/LDs anymore.
Old 03-17-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow - thanks for that update Patman!
Old 03-17-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to see if Buford Hwy/Jonesboro yield anything (fleamarket or otherwise).
Old 03-17-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've lived in Georgia my whole life and I've never seen any kind of store like the one you're looking for. If anyone expects Atlanta to have anything other than bad traffic, bad sports teams, and racism then they need to look elsewhere. Even living in Athens I never found a store for off the wall or hidden gems. Oh, well. Such is life in the Deep South.
Old 03-17-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by reubs82
If anyone expects Atlanta to have anything other than bad traffic, bad sports teams, and racism then they need to look elsewhere.

Oh, well. Such is life in the Deep South.
Are you looking to pick a fight? Because I find your comments ignorant despite a "lifetime" of experience, and I think it's that ignorance that perpetuates such stereotypes of Atlanta. Now maybe you have a bone to pick, but the DVD Talk section of DVD Talk isn't the place to do it.

I think that you are clearly lacking real-life experience. Try living in another city for a change and see what it's like there. You think Atlanta traffic is bad, I can guarantee you it's a blessing compared to Chicago traffic or New York City traffic.

And as far as your accusations of racism, I would argue that considering its history, Atlanta is a rather progressive city. A number of black mayors, black police chiefs, a huge number of minority-owned small businesses, and, besides San Fran, considered to be one of the most accepting cities of homosexuals. But what does it all matter anyhow? If you think Atlanta is racist then you're going to view it and the South through that lens. What it comes down to is that every city is comprised of numerous peoples ranging in ethnicities, orientations, and beliefs and these factors create friction. Each city's the same in that respect, but what matters is how they go about dealing with it. The bottom line is that racism is an evil that exists everywhere, thriving on ignorance. Knowledge and action alone can combat it.

Which brings me to the most important question: If Atlanta is mired in such abounding racism, what are you doing about it? What knowledge do you have and what action are you going to take?

About DVDs. I always disliked Laserland because of their incredibly high prices. There's a used CD store over near Cumberland that can every now and then have some gems. Back when Wherehouse Music was everywhere, I could always find something good in their used section, but most of them have closed up now. I would just do everything online.
Old 03-17-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've lived in Georgia my whole life and I've never seen any kind of store like the one you're looking for. If anyone expects Atlanta to have anything other than bad traffic, bad sports teams, and racism then they need to look elsewhere. Even living in Athens I never found a store for off the wall or hidden gems. Oh, well. Such is life in the Deep South.
Yah I lived there my whole life until college... Only reason I ask is because there are tons of indie music stores around Techwood, Little Five, and definitely in Athens. It's bizarre that there are no good movie shops. Good thing I'm moving to NYC right after I graduate!
Old 03-17-04, 05:55 PM

Are you looking to rent or just buy? If you are looking to rent there is a wonderful store in Virginia Highlands called Movies Worth Seeing. They have a good selection of Criterion titles.

As far as buying i know there is a store in little five pionts, the name i don't remember but its near Junkman's Daughter and they have lots of Criterion DVDs for sale. The prices aren't good but at least they have them. Its not strictly a dvd store, they have cds and magazines and comic books and things also. I want to say its also right by a pizza place, savage pizza maybe?

There are cool and interesting things in atlanta, you just have to be willing to look.
Old 03-17-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by drjay
Yah I lived there my whole life until college... Only reason I ask is because there are tons of indie music stores around Techwood, Little Five, and definitely in Athens. It's bizarre that there are no good movie shops. Good thing I'm moving to NYC right after I graduate!
Yeah, you are right on about the indie stores in Athens. It's a real shame that there are no real places to find movies to buy in Athens (but Vision Video is great to rent).

To TLWizard, they may be ignorant to you, but traffic IS bad, the sports teams ARE bad, and maybe I was wrong about the racism but there is certainly a racial divide. What am I doing about it? Nothing, because I don't live in Atlanta but in a smaller town further down South. Here in this town I do the best I can considering what options are available. Things can be done through outreach and personal actions which is the best all of us can do. Maybe traffic isn't bad compared to NYC or Chicago but at least there is decent public transportation in those cities (I guess in Chicago) and the city itself hasn't swallowed everything around it to make it into one large traffic jam.

I also never said that other cities weren't the same, I was just pointing out what I thought problems were with Atlanta. Take it for what it's worth. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and if I did I apologize.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure you'll have LOTS of luck finding these type stores in NYC!
Old 03-17-04, 09:06 PM

MurraySisskind- The shop you are thinking of is called Criminal Records.
Old 03-18-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jboone
MurraySisskind- The shop you are thinking of is called Criminal Records.
I was just about to say that. I've been in it a bunch of times, only looking for music, and their prices for CDs are really high. Oh well, guess I'll stick to ordering online.
Old 03-18-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To TLWizard, they may be ignorant to you, but traffic IS bad, the sports teams ARE bad, and maybe I was wrong about the racism but there is certainly a racial divide. What am I doing about it? Nothing, because I don't live in Atlanta but in a smaller town further down South. Here in this town I do the best I can considering what options are available. Things can be done through outreach and personal actions which is the best all of us can do. Maybe traffic isn't bad compared to NYC or Chicago but at least there is decent public transportation in those cities (I guess in Chicago) and the city itself hasn't swallowed everything around it to make it into one large traffic jam.
I had some of the same complaints about living in Atlanta. Yes the traffic is bad... not as bad as here in Boston, or LA, Chicago or New York but as reubs points out there is no viable public transportation system. Everyone drives. And often for longer than an hour each way. Commuting is a way of life. And because nobody lives within the city the metropolis just keeps expanding to account for increasing population. I don't think what he said was completely off base at all. Every city has its drawbacks.

And back on topic... Atlanta just doesn't seem to have a thriving arts community like some of the other cities I've in. Sure, it's there - but it's not a focal point by any stretch of the imagination. If it ain't related to college football, it doesn't show up on the radar.

Good luck finding a place. I sure couldn't - hence, a heap of $ spent online. However if you want food - Atlanta sure is a great place to be.