Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Will future releases of the LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION include the "racist" eps??

Will future releases of the LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION include the "racist" eps??

Old 03-13-04, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knows whether future releases of LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION will include the "politically incorrect" classic cartoons from Warner's vaults? These great cartoons include the "Inki" cartoons, the Bugs Bunny classics "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", Bugs Bunny's "All This and Rabbit Stew", the rarely if ever seen classic "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs", and many many more. I understand these cartoons may be offensive to some people in today's society, however, they should not be ignored. I just hope when the LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION finally releases its last set, that every single cartoon Warner Brothers ever produced, during the classic era, is released, including all the politically incorrect ones.

Carlos.
Old 03-14-04, 01:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

hmmmmmmmmmmmm i dunno, but i had an old vhs of looney tunes war classics. Great, funny, and pretty adult takes on world war 1,2, hitler, nazism and the works. I hope we see those.
Old 03-14-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but probably will test the waters first.

The thing is... a lot of the un-P.C. cartoons are true classics, while some aren't very good.

For example, Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs is considered to be a masterpiece. On the other hand, Angel Puss isn't.

Also, with the rising power of the media over "objectionable" content, Warner will have to play it really safe.
Old 03-14-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd be very surprised if they did. These days, studios are becomming notorious cowards when it comes to possilby offending anyone.
Old 03-14-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
a good read on coal black, here.

http://www.toontracker.com/coalblack/coalblack.htm
Old 03-14-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally posted by PatrickMcCart

The thing is... a lot of the un-P.C. cartoons are true classics, while some aren't very good.
Agree.

I actually enjoyed "Tin Pan Alleycats" and "Goldie/Jivin' Bears" mostly because they have enough fun energy to look past the stereotypes. Where as "Coal Black" and "All this and rabbit stew" have flat-out disturbing depictions that could easily upset a few folks. (Actually the drawings of the title character in Coal Black isn't offensive at all, but "Prince Chawmin" and "The Dwarfs" isn't quite nice)

And what about the Nazi-themed WWII toons? "Russian Rhapsody" (Which I absoultely love) should be considered for the DVD treatment plus the one with Bugs meeting Herman Goering in the forest (Forgot the title) is quite harmless. These 2 are definetly more acceptable than the ones that deal with the pacific conflict.
Old 03-14-04, 01:02 PM

I'm appalled that some here believe if the studio doesn't release what is admittedly "racist" cartoons, they are cowards. I for one, hope the racist cartoons never come out since they should never have been made in the first place.
Old 03-14-04, 01:20 PM

I would buy all these on DVD. I've seen a bunch of Popeye and Looney Tunes, war themed....there are a few Tom and Jerry that make fun of black people a little too..

But I never thought something like this was made, I didn't think I'd get to see it, "So White and De Sebben Dwarves" was funny, very funny, even though the quality on the real video was completely horrible..

And it's weird how drawings of an African American teen [so white] aren't very different from today's rap videos...have black teens always been posterior shaking freak dancers? This cartoon seems to think so..

Anyways, it's funny, and it's not wrong, a better portrayal of "black" than Fat Albert at least [and those horrible FUBU shirts I loathe]
Old 03-14-04, 02:53 PM

Well, thankfully, many of these classics exist in excellent condition on laserdisc sets. While many studios may be scared to release these cartoons today, at least when Ted Turner owned the Warner collection back in the early 90s, they released them in a bunch of sets, complete and uncut. Included in the laserdiscs are every single "Inki" cartoon ever made, the classic War Bonds cartoon with Bugs in black face doing a Jolson impression, "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips" and many others (though not "Coal Black"). If Warner doesn't release any of these in future sets on DVD, I would suggest fans of these classics buy a laserdisc player (which are now very cheap on Ebay), and get the laserdiscs (also found on Ebay). The quality of these are excellent, and the laserdisc format has no copyguard system, so these discs can be easily copied onto DVD with no loss in quality. I have all these cartoons and they look great on DVD. I would hope Warners would give them the full DVD treatment like they did with the GOLDEN COLLECTION, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

CP
Old 03-14-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't really like the Coal Black cartoon. Some of the Hitler cartoons are pretty funny though. I don't think "racist" is the right word I would say "stereotype" there's a big difference between the 2 words.
Old 03-14-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Disney did it on the Treasures series. Before each one with some objectionable content, they played a little piece with Leonard Maltin talking about how they were a product of their time and it would be a shame to lock them away. Also, when they would do a blackface gag, they weren't so much making fun of black people, as they were taking a poke at people like Al Jolson who themselves weren't really making fun of black people as they were painting them with a very broad brush. Certainly not acceptable behavior lest someone think I'm racist, but it wasn't out and out hateful.
Old 03-14-04, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Admiral7
I'm appalled that some here believe if the studio doesn't release what is admittedly "racist" cartoons, they are cowards. I for one, hope the racist cartoons never come out since they should never have been made in the first place.
Gee, I don't know, the racist ones were always my favorites. Especially the ones where they made fun of that old white guy. What was his name...Elmer something...???
Old 03-14-04, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I didn't really like the Coal Black cartoon. Some of the Hitler cartoons are pretty funny though. I don't think "racist" is the right word I would say "stereotype" there's a big difference between the 2 words.
I agree with you, I only used the word "racist" because I couldn't find as short a word that would fit in the subject title line. Oh well, I think maybe the title will generate more interest in the subject.
Old 03-14-04, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by mjlukich
Gee, I don't know, the racist ones were always my favorites. Especially the ones where they made fun of that old white guy. What was his name...Elmer something...???
hahaha, I always wondered why southerners were never offended by their portrayal on the Beverly Hillbillies!
Old 03-14-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by Admiral7
I agree that the cartoons never should have been made in the first place but they were and trying to sweep them under the rug doesn't change that fact. I actually showed the "Sebben Dwarfs" cartoon to my students several weeks ago and it sparked a great discussion about stereotypes, censorship and what was deemed acceptable at the time. Just remember that old tired cliche: those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
Old 03-14-04, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
Just remember that old tired cliche: those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
Isn't it, "those who fail to remember the past, are doomed to repeat it"?
Old 03-14-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Either way, I've got my LDs if I want to watch them again but I'd love to have them on DVD.
Perhaps a separate "Adults Only" edition of the possibly offensive ones.
Old 03-14-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just don't look at 1940's cartoons in the current mindset.

In fact, the main characters in "Coal Black" are voiced by black actors. Tin Pan Alley Cats is a tribute to the black jazz musicians of the time.

I remember seeing one comic strip, "Curtis," which had a story revolving around old film reels of african-american films being found in a barber's shop.

"Anything X-rated?"
"Nah, some silly stuff like 'Little Black Sambo steals a bowl of grits'"

If we supress this stuff, we're no better than the Nazis when they were burning books and destroying French films.
Old 03-14-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by Cocopugg
Isn't it, "those who fail to remember the past, are doomed to repeat it"?
That's probably the correct cliche but the sentiment's the same