Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Is Kill Bill R2 LE Box Set worth paying $100?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 06:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

is this R2 LE set worth $100 USD? considering i would still have to get a region free player...i love this movie and would love the definitive version, but am wondering how much over retail this is? thanks for help.
Old 03-11-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the retail is 7,500 YEN or about $70 USD.
Old 03-11-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't give a definitive answer till it arrives but it was worth my $80 pre-order of it. From what I've seen anyplace that still has it in stock is wanting well over $100 for it.
Old 03-11-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ordered mine for $75.00 dollars, and feel pretty good about it to be honest. However, if you want it, you better hurry. Most places are out and those that do have it know most places are out and are jacking up the price already.
Old 03-11-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I would have given it a little bit more thought for $100 US but for the 6000 yen I paid (about $56.00) it was well worth it to me. I wanted the Japanese DVD anyway, I collect some of those damn Kubrick figures as it is, and I love the film so much, I'm trying to get as many different related collectibles and ephemera that I can get my hands on. Oh hell, I would have paid $100 too.
Old 03-11-04, 10:22 PM

Personally, I'm not gonna pay anything more than 80 for it, and that's assuming that I find it for that price. It's not gonna happen for me. I preordered the R2 Vol. 1 dvd from amazon.co.jp (around 20 bucks shipped) so that I'd have something Japanese at least, and it's the more gory cut, too. My 2 pennies.
Old 03-11-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
There's no way I'd pay that much for a single movie. Even if it was a special edition with Kill Bill 1 and 2, it's still outrageously priced.

But that's just me. Carry on.
Old 03-11-04, 11:24 PM

He's talking about the box set inc. a mini-katana, a t-shirt, a Kubrick-ian figurine, and some other stuff.

Link: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...3358&n=1&burl=
Old 03-11-04, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Meh. It's worth it if it's worth it to you.

I mean, the materials in the box are only worth about $5. The *content* is the value.

I would consider a diamond ring pretty much worthless - I have absolutely no use for one, but that doesn't mean that a jewler is just going to give me one.

People place value on things. If the trinkets and unplunged version of the film is worth $100 to you, then it's worth it.

If they aren't - then it's not.

It's not worth it to me, considering we'll have a U.S. release of a big box for both Vols. 1 & 2 eventually.

I'm willing to wait. But for those that aren't - this box is out there.

It looks like a pretty good value, if that's what you meant. You get the disc ($30) plus a t-shirt ($20) and some toys ($50).

Actually, now that I think about it, that's pretty expensive for what you get.

But scarcity always jacks up the price on collectibles, which have little intrinsic value.
Old 03-12-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^what he said.

I'm Tarantino's biggest fan, but there's no way in hell I'm paying a benjamin for a DVD.

I'll be content with the US cut for now.
Old 03-12-04, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tarantino wrote:
I'm Tarantino's biggest fan
Egotist.

That joke never gets old.
Old 03-12-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That's a pretty long winded way to say "It's worth is based on the amount of worth you put in it"

In either case. The retail price isn't that much lower. So the market at 100 isn't that much worse if you ask me.
Old 03-12-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No way, it's not worth even $30. Why would anyone pay that kind of dough for half of a film? Due to Miramax's lame-ass decision to split this movie up, I've boycotted both theatrical releases and I won't buy either. Maybe I'll rent them for 99 cents at my supermarket. (I did read the screenplay though - which I enjoyed). Additionally, aren't there already 3 different versions of Volume 1? This movie has triple-dip etched into its marketing plan.
Old 03-12-04, 02:25 AM
Suspended

Wannabe: no, this film has not yet been released on DVD. There is not even ONE version of it yet.

It will be released for the first time in R1 on April 13. After Vol. 2 opens, eventually there will be a Vol. 2 DVD. Then at some point in the future, near or far (it could be *years*) there will be a bigger set with both films and more extras.

It took 5 years to bring the Pulp Fiction: CE to the shelves, so we may be waiting a while for the eventual better set.

Why not pick up the disc when it's released? You could watch it a few hundred times while waiting for the eventual box.

And it's not like double-dipping is itself a bad thing. Tarantino did state that he wants to revisit the title, and did so WELL before the first version was released.
Old 03-12-04, 02:25 AM
Suspended

Wannabe: no, this film has not yet been released on DVD. There is not even ONE version of it yet.

It will be released for the first time in R1 on April 13. After Vol. 2 opens, eventually there will be a Vol. 2 DVD. Then at some point in the future, near or far (it could be *years*) there will be a bigger set with both films and more extras.

It took 5 years to bring the Pulp Fiction: CE to the shelves, so we may be waiting a while for the eventual better set.

Why not pick up the disc when it's released? You could watch it a few hundred times while waiting for the eventual box.

And it's not like double-dipping is itself a bad thing. Tarantino did state that he wants to revisit the title, and did so WELL before the first version was released.
Old 03-12-04, 02:40 AM

I feel like Jough just MADE me double dip. You're just as bad as Sony/Columbia... *wink*
Old 03-12-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Wannabe
No way, it's not worth even $30. Why would anyone pay that kind of dough for half of a film? Due to Miramax's lame-ass decision to split this movie up, I've boycotted both theatrical releases and I won't buy either. Maybe I'll rent them for 99 cents at my supermarket. (I did read the screenplay though - which I enjoyed). Additionally, aren't there already 3 different versions of Volume 1? This movie has triple-dip etched into its marketing plan.
Half a movie, a shirt, a book, a letter opener blade, and a kubrick toy. I think it's worth it.
Old 03-12-04, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have only found one place that has it for under $100..however, it is impossible to even register at that particular site!
Old 03-12-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, Criterion LD sets used to go for $125 so I've got no issue with this especially since I got mine for $70 at amazon.jp. Now that the price is up to $200...well that's a different story.
Old 03-12-04, 08:23 AM

I found out about this set the other day in another thread... and it looks like it's already too late to pre-order this one for a reasonable amount. I found it on yesasia.com for $200 but... egads!

Does anyone have a link for a place that's selling it for $100 or less? Thanks!

Ohh, BTW, it's worth it to me (if you couldn't tell from above)! I wouldn't do this for every movie but this is too cool.
Old 03-12-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, I think you may have a hard time finding one at the original price. I placed my order an hour after Amazon.jp sent me an availablity email and from what I understand the next day they were already sold out. I think they're pretty much in the hands of the price gougers now. If you want to take your chances I see a couple on Ebay going for $130.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2302
Old 03-12-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/sitema...DS_SORT_CD=103

This is the site I was referring to. I can fill everything out in registering..but it never takes.
Old 03-12-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
On the second page it says they don't deliver outside of Japan.
Old 03-12-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Tower Records just filed for bankruptcy, so that may have something to do with it? They just closed the two stores by me.
Old 03-12-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Got to be honest, as far as super-deluxe Japanese box sets go, this one doesn't do it for me. The packaging isn't anything special and there's only 4 kind-of mundane items inside?

There have been a lot better Japanese box sets in the past. I liked the movie, but I'll pass on this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.