Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any clues as to what titles will be on LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION Volume 2?

Old 03-10-04, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We already heard from the horse's mouth that there WILL be a LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION Volume 2 coming out later this year, but I was wondering if any word has leaked out as to what titles will be included on Volume 2? Anyone?
Old 03-10-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Wow, so many to choose from! There were 56 on Vol. 1. There is said to be 1100(!!) shorts in the WB vault! There could literally be 20 collections of this. And I would buy them all!

There are some sites with speculation (I'm sorry I don't have any links). I for one am hoping for the short where Sam is king of a castle and rides a dragon.

WB has stated that they would hold back the most popular shorts and divide them among releases so not every single one comes out on one release.
Old 03-10-04, 02:04 PM

I'm hoping ONE FROGGY EVENING comes out on Volume 2. This has to be one of the best animated shorts of alltime!
Old 03-10-04, 05:24 PM

Is Droopy with WB and the Looney Tunes crew?
Old 03-10-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I have a Droopy DVD from Poker Industries and it looks like MGM property-not sure if WB has the rights now.
Old 03-10-04, 07:43 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
there's a droopy cartoon on the wb release of high society in cinemascope so I believe they own it
Old 03-10-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by devynal
Is Droopy with WB and the Looney Tunes crew?
...no... Droopy, Captain And The Kids (Katzenjammer Kids), Barney Bear, Tom & Jerry were MGM cartoons (now probably on the WB label)... Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, Sylvester suffering succotash, Tweety, Speedy Gonzalez, Wile E. Coyote, etc. etc.) were Warner Bros. cartoons...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-10-04 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...no... Droopy, Katzenjammer Kids, Barney Bear, Tom & Jerry were MGM cartoons (now probably on the WB label)... Looney Tunes were Warner Bros. cartoons...

. . . . . .

Warner now owns MGM. For example: A Christmas Story on DVD was released by MGM at first. Warner has released the re-packaged bare-bones version as well as the newer special edition.

In the Warner chat on HTF the other night, I believe they briefly talked about Tom & Jerry.
Old 03-10-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by freudguy
Warner now owns MGM.
...well, that's what I said... BUT: afaik WB does not (yet) own ALL of MGM's original output, only those movies (and cartoons) up to a certain date/year (1960s ?)...

. . . . . .
Old 03-11-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...well, that's what I said... BUT: afaik WB does not (yet) own ALL of MGM's original output, only those movies (and cartoons) up to a certain date/year (1960s ?)...

. . . . . .
whoops, sorry, my bad
Old 03-11-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warner owns all of MGM's library up to 1986. I think the oldest title MGM retained was Poltergiest II.

Horton Hatches the Egg will be on the 2nd volume, though. No restored titles (it's one of the Blue Ribbons with no extant uncut opening titles), but the restored Technicolor hues look fantastic.

Hyde and Hare, The Daffy Doc, What's Opera Doc, and One Froggy Evening MAY be on the set.
Old 03-11-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know the titles, but I'm hoping for:

I Love to Singa (1936, Avery)
"I like to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the
Spring-a..."

The Slick Chick
"That boy's gonna need a slide rule to find me in here"

Baby Buggy Bunny
"Finster...oh Finster baby!"

Little Red Riding Rabbit
"hey grandma, what Big eyes you got"..."yeah, yeah, big eyes, big eyes...."
Old 03-11-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about the one with Yob, the baby from outer space who gets switched with a human baby ?? I don't remember the title of that one, but it was one of WB's best. I think it was from the late 50's, early 60's.
Old 03-11-04, 12:03 PM

Sorry if this is off topic, but I was wondering if anybody knew the name of a particular Bugs Bunny short. The gist of the short involved Bugs Bunny pretending to help hide a gangster, who always said "yeah see", from the cops. One thing that stands out in my mind is Bugs convincing the gangster to get in a trunk to hide from the cops. Bugs then proceeds to stab swords through the trunk to prove he's not in there. Thanks for the help if anybody can offer any.
Old 03-11-04, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by chubacabra
Sorry if this is off topic, but I was wondering if anybody knew the name of a particular Bugs Bunny short. The gist of the short involved Bugs Bunny pretending to help hide a gangster, who always said "yeah see", from the cops. One thing that stands out in my mind is Bugs convincing the gangster to get in a trunk to hide from the cops. Bugs then proceeds to stab swords through the trunk to prove he's not in there. Thanks for the help if anybody can offer any.
It's "Racketeer Rabbit". I just watched it the other night on an old pre-recorded tape (put out by MGM/UA, by the way) called "Hold the Lion, Please" (titled after the first short on the tape).
Old 03-11-04, 12:22 PM

mythmaker18 Thanks!
Old 03-11-04, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the replies! I love Droopy, Barney Bear and all of those old MGM toons. I want a collection of those, too!
Old 03-11-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by chubacabra
While it is Racketeer Rabbit, it reminds of me of "Bugs and Thugs" (or Buggsy and Muggsy, I can't be sure which), where it is basically the same thing with a stove.
Old 03-11-04, 04:11 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, at the rate they're going (~50 cartoons a year) it'll take them 20 years to put them all out.

Hopefully they'll be stepping up production soon. I could easily buy four of these a year - one per quarter.
Old 03-11-04, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by jough
Yeah, at the rate they're going (~50 cartoons a year) it'll take them 20 years to put them all out.

Hopefully they'll be stepping up production soon. I could easily buy four of these a year - one per quarter.
I agree, I too would buy as many of these sets as are put out. I want all the Warner cartoons from the classic era. Maybe if sales for volume one do great, they might release more than one or two volumes a year...I hope so anyway.

CP
Old 03-11-04, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Sales for volume one were PHENOMENAL, especially considering the price of the boxed set.

It was in the top 10 best sellers for 2003, but I don't have the exact numbers in front of me.
Old 03-13-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe instead of 4 boxsets a year, just make the sets larger? Like two a year, but with 6 discs instead of 4?

Also I really loved the documentary stuff from the first set. Do you all think they have more stuff like this? If not what would you imagine they would use for extras on the upcoming sets?
Old 03-13-04, 02:32 PM
Suspended

As to what titles appear on the disc, it doesnt really matter to me. On the other hand, this next set BETTER have more than one freaking Road Runner cartoon on it.

[MARVIN]To include only one makes me very angry.[/MARVIN]
Old 03-13-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El-Kabong
As to what titles appear on the disc, it doesnt really matter to me. On the other hand, this next set BETTER have more than one freaking Road Runner cartoon on it.

[MARVIN]To include only one makes me very angry.[/MARVIN]
While I definitely agree, Vol. 1 just happens to have my two favorite Coyote (lord that is spelled wrong, but I'm tired) cartoons - the one w/ RR and the one with the sheep dogs.
Old 03-13-04, 03:42 PM

I'd like to see any of the ones with Wile E. Coyote and the sheep dog who battle all day, but then break for lunch and say "Good Night" at the end of their "shift". Very original.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.