DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Romero's "Dead" movies Box Set any details? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/351630-romeros-dead-movies-box-set-any-details.html)

OldBoy 03-08-04 02:47 PM

Romero's "Dead" movies Box Set any details?

Are there any details on this big box set that some people are talking about? Also, if it does go through will it have the 137 minute so called Director's cut? I see that on eBay and would like to get, but I can wait to see if it wil be with the big one coming out. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate it.

DVD Josh 03-08-04 04:37 PM

I think you may be confusing a Trilogy Box Set with the Dawn of the Dead boxset that is supposed to be coming out later this year?

cultshock 03-08-04 06:35 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the box set is supposed to have the theatrical cut (recently released as a single disc), the "director's"/Cannes cut, and Zombie, Argento's European cut of the film.

OldBoy 03-09-04 05:28 PM

oh..so there is just a "Dawn of the Dead" box set coming out with all the cuts? also, a trilogy box set? any definite details on either?

Johnny Zhivago 03-09-04 06:45 PM

scott - Just the Dawn box... Any Anchor Bay trilogy box set would contain their 30th anniversary abomination and as such would be best avoided. The only version of NOTLD worth owning, as we all know, is from Elite Entertainment and is not an Anchor Bay release.

Drop 03-09-04 06:51 PM

I'm pretty sure there will never be a Trilogy boxset, something about the rights. And even if it isn't a rights issue, anyone who buys Romero's Dead flicks, probably owns them already so there would be little to no market for a boxset.

There is supposed to be a 3-5 disc set coming out later this year for Dawn, it will atleast include the Theatrical version and the Cannes plus a disk for extras. They are also trying to get the rights to Argento's cut as well as the behind the scenes Document of the Dead film. Those 2 things would knock the set up 2 disks.

sicklerice 03-09-04 07:39 PM

All that matters is that they do a DIVIMAX treatment to the Zombi cut. If they ad newly produced extras, that'd be great too. Most Romerophiles probably already own Document of the Dead and the "Director's Cut" isn't a very good cut by my reckoning.

steebo777 03-11-04 09:44 AM

According to this story at Creature Corner, there will be a boxset of the Dead films. Unless Savini is on something (and that pic sure makes him look like he is), this is good news. Snippet from the article:

After a two-hour autograph session in which Tom displayed the patience of a saint according to our scooper, he took to the stage for some Q&A, and here's some of the interesting tidbits Jeremy came back with:
- There are plans for a full box set of the Dead films to come out this summer. Sadly no studio was mentioned, so we'll just have to hope it's Ancor Bay.
Interesting, but I think my versions of the three films are as good as it will get (waiting for the Dawn 3 Discer this fall still though) :)

BlackBeauty92 03-11-04 10:39 AM

so far i got enough to fullfill my "the dead quadrilogy box set":
Night of the Living dead: Millenium edition
Night of the living dead 1990 (remake)
the Crazies
Dawn of the dead: SE
Day of the dead: SE

now, just waiting till the super-duper deluxe of Dawn... then i'm set.
unless Anchor Bay decided to re-release Night of the Living dead with THX & DTS

milo bloom 03-11-04 02:15 PM

Is The Crazies part of the Dead films? I thought it was just another Romero film?

tks

bboisvert 03-11-04 02:19 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Is The Crazies part of the Dead films? I thought it was just another Romero film?
You are correct. It isn't a Dead film. It's just another Romero film (and a good one at that).

Johnny Zhivago 03-11-04 02:20 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom

tks

The Crazies is not a Dead film (nor a particulary good one IMHO)... However, the groundwork for Dawn is clearly on display in The Crazies. As such, it's an interesting bit of filler in relation to the Dead trilogy.

insulin_junkie 03-11-04 03:02 PM

Originally posted by steebo777
[B]According to this story at Creature Corner, there will be a boxset of the Dead films.
According to Anchor Bay, it isn't going to happen, and due to rights issues, it CAN'T happen in North America:

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/scifihorro...124256231.html

milo bloom 03-11-04 05:59 PM

That doesn't seem to make sense :hscratch:

Is Notld, or is it not, in the public domain? Or is it a problem with Dawn and Day?

If it's only the first one, what they could do is release a box with their crap-o 98 hack job, and we could just throw that out and slide the Elite version in :)

Or ask Paul Champagne.

bboisvert 03-11-04 06:54 PM

It's possible that the contract/deal they have for distribution of the Dawn/Day films prohibits them from packaging them with other films. That's my guess.