DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   The Rules Of The Game (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/349773-rules-game.html)

Gotham_Knight 02-27-04 09:19 AM

The Rules Of The Game

When I need a Criterion fix, I'm always tempted to buy this when I see it at Suncoast and Borders.

I haven't seen it though so question is, is this available for rent? I'm always on the fence about blind buys so I prefer to rent something I've not seen before I buy it.

The Hollywood Video I frequent has a great selection of Criterion titles in their foreign section but sadly, TROTG isn't among those titles.

pro-bassoonist 02-27-04 10:12 AM

ok....first welcome to the forum....and before some of the older guys slam you....do a search next time when you need some info as there are many topics that have been covered already.

With this said, I dont know what is available in your area so....I suppose you could always rent it through Netfilx, or Nichefilx.

As to the issue of "blind buy"...if there EVER was a film that needed no discussion...THIS IS IT. One of the all time classics!!!

Welcome again!
Pro-B

Gotham_Knight 02-27-04 10:25 AM

I thought of doing a search but I figured what the hell and decided to start a new topic anyway. I'll be more "careful" in the future.

I'm always eyeing The Rules Of The Game at work so with my employee discount, I'll probably just do a blind buy and hope for the best.

It's a classic I know, but still I wanted to play it safe before adding it to my collection.

By the by, thanks for the welcome. Long time lurker, first time poster.

chente 02-27-04 10:31 AM

One thing that confused me a bit when I was a new member here was which forum to ask questions in.

DVDTalk - should be discussion of the disks, features, etc.

MovieTalk - should be discussion of the film

Review and Recommendations - is the forum to explore for previous review of a film. It also the place where people ask questions regarding blind buys.

Bargains - This is the section to look into if you are looking for DVD purchasing deals.

Other - is for various non-dvd related topics

Each of the forums are searchable, enabling you to find previous threads discussing the topic you are interested. If you hang out here long enough, you'll see a lot of repetitive questions being asked that could be avoided by seaching for a previous thread.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.

RockyMtnBri 02-27-04 10:50 AM

Get this DVD now! I got it two weeks ago after a friend highly recommended it. I was torn between Ikiru (which I got first) and this. Only when my wife gave me a $20 Barnes & Noble gift card on Valentine's day did I break down and get it. Haven't watched it yet but I strongly go by my friend's recommendations.

I even like the packaging - a blue slipcase over a black & white digipak!

pro-bassoonist 02-27-04 10:50 AM

....and International Forum- where all the mad people are:D (once you get there you'd know why) :D

Gotham_Knight 02-27-04 11:30 AM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
I even like the packaging - a blue slipcase over a black & white digipak!
You know, the packaging is what made me interested in the movie itself. I saw it one day at work and it not only grabbed my eye, it yanked it out for a closer look.

Based on what I've read of the movie, and how chock full of special feature goodness it is, I'll probably buy it after I get a few other titles I've put off for too long.

jough 02-28-04 12:15 AM

It's one of the only films to be on every 10-year Sight & Sound Critic's Poll of the best films of all time.

Essentially, it's the French "Citizen Kane."

talemyn 02-28-04 12:29 AM

Originally posted by chente
Other - is for various non-dvd related topics
:lol: I guess that's one way to put it! :lol:

As for the film, I think that you will be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't recommend this film as a blind buy.