DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   How I tricked B&N into selling me Ed Wood (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/349115-how-i-tricked-b-n-into-selling-me-ed-wood.html)

fef4 02-24-04 10:55 AM

How I tricked B&N into selling me Ed Wood

Okay, I know this may belong elsewhere, but I was afraid that few of you would read all the way to the 14th page of Ed Wood chatter on other threads. So, here goes. I'm just trying to help out.

I went into the Barnes & Noble store at the Summit in Louisville, KY the other day and inquired about Ed Wood. Fortunately, the clerk knew nothing of the recall, and told me they had 9 copies on hold at the warehouse for reasons unknown to him. I then asked if it would be possible to purchase the DVD in store and have it shipped to me. He was more than happy to help out; he even curbed shipping. So, there it was: $26 down on something I was sure they'd never send to me. But 2 days later, there it was sitting in my mailbox. Guess the system at their warehouse wasn't savvy to the recall either.

There you have it. Just make sure not to mention anything about the recall, and you too may end up the proud owner of an Ed Wood DVD. Also, if you're unfortunate and they won't ship it to you, the guy told me that they'll promptly refund your clams if there is a problem.

Hope this helps all out.

caiman 02-24-04 11:03 AM

I think employee ignorance is the way a lot of us got ours.

dyerjp 02-24-04 11:05 AM

so what was the trick?

Groucho 02-24-04 11:07 AM

That wasn't a trick at all. That was simply ordering it from a store unaware of the recall.

fef4 02-24-04 11:09 AM

There wasn't really a trick, per se. It was more of...don't mention anything about it being recalled and hope the employee orders it for you. I just thought I'd post this to see if a few other people luck out with the aforementioned employee ignorance I encountered the other day. Just doing my part to help a few other people out in avoiding the f@#%ers on ebay. Sorry if I sounded a little cocky by saying "trick."

Randy Miller III 02-24-04 11:30 AM

Originally posted by fef4
Just doing my part to help a few other people out in avoiding the f@#%ers on ebay.
I'm sorry, do you mean the sellers or the high bidders? :)

fef4 02-24-04 02:31 PM

The sellers, of course. The poor high bidders, for the most part, just want to own the film on DVD finally. The sellers are ripping off good people who post on this board: your fellow DVD lovers. The prices on ebay are outrageous. Don't support those guys!

PixyJunket 02-24-04 02:41 PM

The prices are set by the buyers.

caiman 02-24-04 02:42 PM

The sellers, of course. The poor high bidders, for the most part, just want to own the film on DVD finally. The sellers are ripping off good people who post on this board: your fellow DVD lovers. The prices on ebay are outrageous. Don't support those guys!
I know it's been said a million times, but the people selling this DVD at high prices are doing NOTHING wrong, legally or ethically. The people who CHOOSE to pay these high prices are the ones making the item expensive. Are the people paying $100 for this DVD stupid? IMHO, yes. But they do so willingly. Supply and demand, my friend.

fef4 02-24-04 02:49 PM

I guess it's completely cool to sell bootlegs, too. Sorry I said anything, guys. My posting days are done here. Everyone just wants to argue semantics and poke fun at "newbies." This is boring. Bye.

Yakuza Bengoshi 02-24-04 02:57 PM

I guess it's completely cool to sell bootlegs, too. Sorry I said anything, guys. My posting days are done here. Everyone just wants to argue semantics and poke fun at "newbies." This is boring. Bye.
Since you're not staying I won't bother to say more than this: "apples and oranges."

caiman 02-24-04 03:03 PM

Poking fun at newbies? Nobody was making fun of you. Hell, I didn't even check your reg date before replying to you. If you can't handle a little healthy debate, then you probbaly <i>are</i> better off leaving.

Jackskeleton 02-24-04 03:10 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
The prices are set by the buyers.
and the shills. but it goes to show you how stupid the general public is when it comes to something being "collectable". They always assume this will be that retirement home in florida or something down the line.

DGibFen 02-24-04 03:27 PM

Re: How I tricked B&N into selling me Ed Wood

Okay, I know this may belong elsewhere, but I was afraid that few of you would read all the way to the 14th page of Ed Wood chatter on other threads. So, here goes. I'm just trying to help out.

I went into the Barnes & Noble store at the Summit in Louisville, KY the other day and inquired about Ed Wood. Fortunately, the clerk knew nothing of the recall, and told me they had 9 copies on hold at the warehouse for reasons unknown to him. I then asked if it would be possible to purchase the DVD in store and have it shipped to me. He was more than happy to help out; he even curbed shipping. So, there it was: $26 down on something I was sure they'd never send to me. But 2 days later, there it was sitting in my mailbox. Guess the system at their warehouse wasn't savvy to the recall either.

There you have it. Just make sure not to mention anything about the recall, and you too may end up the proud owner of an Ed Wood DVD. Also, if you're unfortunate and they won't ship it to you, the guy told me that they'll promptly refund your clams if there is a problem.

Hope this helps all out.

Who'd you talk to? I was there the other day (the one at the Summit, right?) and (just for fun) inquired about Ed Wood. The person there told me that it was recalled for quality control and wouldn't let me get it.

clappj 02-24-04 03:27 PM

Selling a legitmate product whose final selling price is (typically) dictated by the buyers, and not the sellers, is completely different than selling bootleg (a.k.a. illegal) products!

No one was "making fun of you" and to be honest, anyone starting a thread bragging about how they knowingly "tricked someone" into selling them a product that was not supposed to be sold, then getting up on their soapbox to judge legitimate eBay sellers, should have their flame-retardant jacket at-the-ready.

Just my two pennies...

bboisvert 02-24-04 03:40 PM

Wow, I don't see anything in this thread to warrant that sort of reaction. Sorry to bore you. Bye.

And, while we're debating semantics, someone who has been around since October 2001 is no longer a "newbie".

LasVegasMichael 02-24-04 03:44 PM

Just doing my part to help a few other people out in avoiding the f@#%ers on ebay.
Although I realize that this is considered "beating a dead horse", but by this rationale, anyone who sells EW (or anything for that matter) at above cost is a "f@#%er".

Then I am a f@#%er, and damn proud of it. :p

GB & GR

renaldow 02-24-04 06:45 PM

Yesterday I tricked the guy at the 7-11 into selling me a slurpee. I went and made one, brought it up to the counter, and he actually took my money for it!!

jasonnaper 02-24-04 07:38 PM

What a baby...???

JestersTear 02-24-04 07:59 PM

Originally posted by caiman
I know it's been said a million times, but the people selling this DVD at high prices are doing NOTHING wrong, legally or ethically. The people who CHOOSE to pay these high prices are the ones making the item expensive. Are the people paying $100 for this DVD stupid? IMHO, yes. But they do so willingly. Supply and demand, my friend.
Yes, and victims of crime are at fault for what happened to them because they happened to be in the area.

Tards that buy something just to sell it on Ebay are the ones at fault. The only people that try to say otherwise are the aforementioned tards as they try to justify their pathetic existence. I've seen it through the sports card craze, the comic book craze, the action figure craze, and the beanie baby craze. Same pieces of trash, same constant lame excuse.

Squirrel God 02-24-04 08:22 PM

Everyone just wants to argue semantics
I was personally hoping for an argument on syntactics or pragmatics :(

whotony 02-24-04 09:18 PM

you won't get the dvd i dont think.

ive tried this several times at b&n, even tried it with history of beavus and buthead.

but a week or solater i get a card in them mail saying the order is cancelled.

caiman 02-24-04 09:38 PM

Originally posted by JestersTear
Yes, and victims of crime are at fault for what happened to them because they happened to be in the area.

Tards that buy something just to sell it on Ebay are the ones at fault. The only people that try to say otherwise are the aforementioned tards as they try to justify their pathetic existence. I've seen it through the sports card craze, the comic book craze, the action figure craze, and the beanie baby craze. Same pieces of trash, same constant lame excuse.

You're comparing Ebay bidders to victims of crimes? Don't you understand that when someone buys something on Ebay, it is a conscious, deliberate act? They see what they want to buy, they see the price, and they CHOOSE to hit the "Bid now" button and type their highest bid. No one is putting a gun to their head and making them bid for a $100 Ed Wood DVD. Your analogy is ridiculous.

Forum Troll 02-24-04 09:57 PM

I got mine at Wal-mart today...

The Wal-mart in Layton utah, has about 8 copies right on the shelf, for 19.88....

RyoHazuki 02-24-04 10:05 PM

For my copy, I just clubbed the manager of a local blockbuster with a tire iron until his heart stopped. Then I hopped over the counter and grabbed my copy.

jmj713 02-24-04 10:16 PM

As if the seller who puts the Ed Wood DVD up on eBay, as opposed to (as many have done on various forums, and the way I got my copy) selling it for cost, doesn't know that the auction will invariably grow in price. If he starts the auction at 26.99 or whatever the retail is, he can safelt rest assured he'll at least double his money. That to me is low, but that's just me. My thanks goes to many people on this forum and elsewhere who were fortunate enough to come upon several copies of the disc and sell it for cost to their follow film fans.

Gizmo 02-24-04 10:26 PM

Wow...you must hate Grocery stores and every other place because they make profit too, eh?

Mr. Cinema 02-24-04 10:28 PM

Ed Wood is a movie I can definitely wait for. It will get released again with no hassle. The announcement of the Star Wars Trilogy has made me almost completely forget that Ed Wood exists.

costanza 02-24-04 11:07 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
For my copy, I just clubbed the manager of a local blockbuster with a tire iron until his heart stopped. Then I hopped over the counter and grabbed my copy.
wow, you got really super pissed and totally flipped out on that guy. i know how you feel man. he wasn't a pirate was he?

Puzznic 02-25-04 12:17 AM

You know what? Not only do i sell things on Ebay that you can't buy in stores sometimes to make profit but the so called "victims" that pay these "OUTRAGEOUS" prices actually thank me afterwards alot of the time. I paid $60 for The History of Beavis and Butthead on Ebay and did i complain? Not at all because otherwise i wouldn't even have it. Paying a premium on something that is somewhat hard to come by is not a big deal

MGBGT 02-25-04 07:29 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Did you still have to pay for it? :eyebrow:

RyoHazuki 02-25-04 07:29 AM

Heck no. Also since the guy wasnt breathing I grabbed his wallet. Take that Blockbu$ter.

Spanky BananaPants 02-25-04 09:28 AM

Re: I got mine at Wal-mart today...

Originally posted by Forum Troll
The Wal-mart in Layton utah, has about 8 copies right on the shelf, for 19.88....
The one in Taylorsville on Redwood also had about eight copies on the shelf, but the price was $19.74. I guess they didn't get the recall notice.

chemosh6969 02-25-04 12:33 PM

In this thread people are complaining about those that end up paying high prices for Ed Wood.

On the other hand, in a City of God thread, a movie which IS being rereleased in a few months unlike Ed Wood, people are defending those that pay large wads of cash.

So I guess going only by what I have read, it's awful to pay a lot of money for a movie that won't be seen again anytime soon, but it's ok to pay a bunch of money now instead of waiting a few months.

gcbma 02-25-04 02:26 PM

Don't take it personally. This forum has a loud minority of cretins here who treat this site as a schoolyard and seek out confrontation and waste their time snickering at other people's posts. It happens all the time, and unfortunately unavoidable. On the other hand, there's a large majority of others that are courteous and use the forum as it should be used, as a sharing of information. People have different levels of expertise and points-of-view; or as Will Rogers said, "We're all ignorant, just about different things." My advice: contribute freely and read information that's pertinent to what's helpful and move on. Don't dwell on any responses that criticize the person who's posting.

bboisvert 02-25-04 02:44 PM

Originally posted by gcbma
Don't dwell on any responses that criticize the person who's posting.
Look at every response above the one where fef4 packed up his toys and left. Find me a single one that meets the criteria of "criticize the person who's posting."

Disagree with him about his eBay views? Sure. Mentioning alternate opinions? Sure. But I don't see anyone going after him at all. Personally or otherwise.

On the flip side, I sell on eBay. So the way I see it, fef4 called me a f@#%er (and for no reason whatsoever). I say good riddance to anyone who can sling that sort of insult my way, but then become painfully offended when someone simply mentions "supply and demand" in response to a topic he brought up himself. Thin skins like that aren't helpful in life, and are pretty much fatal on any Internet discussion board.

Snowmaker 02-25-04 02:52 PM

Why was it recalled? I missed that.

Rammsteinfan 02-25-04 03:05 PM

I sold two copies for $40+ each... scalper? So what. As long as people pay for them. Helps me buy more DVD's coming in the next few weeks.

sirbrady 02-25-04 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I sold two copies for $40+ each... scalper? So what. As long as people pay for them. Helps me buy more DVD's coming in the next few weeks.
Exactly..I've sold them on Ebay, and sold some to board members. I don't see a problem. Without Ebay...or the internet for that matter, how many copies would be circulating? Definitely alot less.

Those who bought copies to sell at cost (on the board or whatever) are a problem too. They buy them all. Other customers get nothing.

Wild Yams 02-25-04 07:47 PM

It's called supply and demand, there is nothing criminal or immoral about it. It's a simple concept: if lots of people want something, and there aren't many to go around, then the ones who want it the most (the ones who pony up the most cash) are the ones who get it. My guess is a few people maybe slept through economics or have never heard of an "auction."