Community
Search

John Woo Uncut/Director versions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 10:34 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Woo Uncut/Director versions

If "Windtalkers" can get one why not "Hard Target" and "Face/Off", which in my view where better films.
Old 02-20-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe those are already his 'directors versions'.
Old 02-20-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And also because those pictures didn't lose $100 million.
Old 02-20-04, 10:41 AM
Cool New Member

I know there's a longer version of "Hard Target", I have it on VHS. It was cut several times to get an R, i think like 10mins was cut. Not sure about any extra footage for "Face/Off" but the current DVD sucks anyway.
Old 02-20-04, 10:44 AM

I've heard of that longer version of Hard Target, and Woo was asked of that cut while in Seattle years ago and he basically said that Universal had no interest in the movie anymore. That's what they get for taking Van Damme's side at the moment than Woo's.
Old 02-20-04, 10:53 AM
Cool New Member

Guess I'll have to buy the current version of it then. But "Face/Off" deserves a better package. Anyone see the extended "Windtalkers", I've been putting off buying that too.
Old 02-20-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarantino
Maybe those are already his 'directors versions'.
Old 02-20-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by evitagen
Old 02-20-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bluesxman
I know there's a longer version of "Hard Target", I have it on VHS. It was cut several times to get an R, i think like 10mins was cut. Not sure about any extra footage for "Face/Off" but the current DVD sucks anyway.
There's also an uncut Japanese laserdisc as well.
Old 02-20-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this the full version of Hard Target?

http://www.nicheflix.com/movie_detai...x?movieID=4719

If so, it will soon be able to be rented from one of DVDtalk's sponsers.
Old 02-20-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't the studio cut almost an hour out of 'Mission: Impossible 2'?

Mostly, all the set up and character stuff that made the romance believable? [Or, at least, they thought it did; it certainly wasn't in the final cut.]

I can't believe there's more demand for an extended 'Windtalkers' than an extended 'M:I2'.

Do the studios think people are more likely to buy a movie that didn't do well if it's a different cut? I'd think it was the other way around. If I wasn't interested in 'Windtalkers', I'm certainly not interested in 'Windtalkers, plus an hour'.
Old 02-20-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rereleases equate to more money. Some would argue they are the lifeblood of Anchor Bay. If you were MGM, teetering on bankruptcy (I don't know if they still are), you would do what you could to make money, which they decided could be done by making an overblown set that hardcore DVDphiles would be hard-pressed to ignore. Also, sometimes theater peformance and video performance are radically different. Mallrats made $600K at the theater, but the DVD has been a cashcow for Universal. The video rental and sales profits of Austin Powers allowed for the sequel to happen, despite less than stellar performace at the box office.
Old 02-20-04, 01:28 PM

The Japanese cut and several of the Euro cuts (eg, UK definitely) of Hard Target have slightly longer action scenes and some extra dialogue as compared to the US edition. Nicheflix is probably renting out the UK DVD.
Old 02-20-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the Korean cut and I know it's longer and "harder" than the US release. My question is, is it the "Director's Cut" (which is supposedly very violent) or something in between the US version and the DC?
Old 02-20-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

I want even longer cut's of Woo's Hong Kong stuff. ESPECIALLY his Yun-Fat collaborations.
A Better Tomorrow
A Better Tomorrow II
Bullet in the Head
Once a Thief (which in real life I regretably once was.)
Hard Boiled
The Killer
Drunken Master

There are some others which I'd like to see get the Director's Cut treatment but are way too many to list.
Old 02-20-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Peep
It's the Korean cut and I know it's longer and "harder" than the US release. My question is, is it the "Director's Cut" (which is supposedly very violent) or something in between the US version and the DC?
Probably in between.. Woo was never given the chance to do any sort of DC with it, so it's probably put together from a rough cut, or put together using deleted footage w/o Woo's final word. I remember seeing it on VHS a while back.
Old 02-20-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rereleases equate to more money.
That's an absurd generalization. The only way it could be true as a flat rule, as you imply it is, is if DVD production cost $zero, and we all know it doesn't.

you would do what you could to make money, which they decided could be done by making an overblown set that hardcore DVDphiles would be hard-pressed to ignore.
I understand that, but I'd submit that it's more likely that they're teetering close to bankruptcy because their film output is so bad that, when they were looking through their catalog for a quick easy cash-cow, the best thing they could come up with was the director's cut of 'Windtalkers'.

I'm a pretty hardcore DVDphile, but I'd have to have every other John Woo movie before I even considered buying 'Windtalkers'.

Also, sometimes theater peformance and video performance are radically different.
That's true, but 'Windtalkers' didn't do well on video either.

Mallrats made $600K at the theater, but the DVD has been a cashcow for Universal. The video rental and sales profits of Austin Powers allowed for the sequel to happen, despite less than stellar performace at the box office.
Well, yeah, but it's very, very rare for audiences to go see comedies in theaters, especially in the middle '90's. Comedies (almost) *always* make more money on video than in theatres. Even when a comedy is successful in theaters, it becomes uber-successful on video (they often released them priced-to-own immediately, which was rare at that point), because people don't mind watching comedy on a small screen.

Compare that to a giant John Woo epic war movie? I mean, I'm sure there are some people, but I think most people generally like their action and explosions on the bigscreen. (Not to say people won't watch it on TV, I just mean that people won't say, "Oh, I'll wait for video to see that eye candy movie.")

I'll submit the question again, though, since you didn't answer it; why are you saying that a studio is more likely to release a director's cut of a failed movie than a successful one? Because that it what you said, and seem to be trying to defend. I don't understand why you're saying it, and would like to.
Old 02-20-04, 05:30 PM
Banned

I just want 5.1 mixes of Killer...Hard Boiled...Better Tomorrow 1&2...and Bullet in the Head...screw Hard Target and Broken Arrow...those are fine...gimme the real stuff!
Old 02-20-04, 05:44 PM

But none of those films were originally released with 5.1 mixes.

I just want 5.1 mixes of Killer...Hard Boiled...Better Tomorrow 1&2...and Bullet in the Head...screw Hard Target and Broken Arrow...those are fine...gimme the real stuff!
Old 02-20-04, 05:59 PM
Banned

I dont care...I'd like at least a Dolby Surround mix...man Mono on these flicks sucks! Can you imagine what a really great DTS mix on these films would sound like?
Old 02-20-04, 06:09 PM
Banned

Yeah! Don't forget an Anamorphic transfer if there isn't one already available.
Old 02-20-04, 07:46 PM

They'd have to replace every sound in the movie. And that would just be bad.
Old 02-20-04, 09:25 PM

I agree. I'd buy them. Hard target was a poor dvd (extras wise)
Old 02-21-04, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Yocke
They'd have to replace every sound in the movie. And that would just be bad.
Nah...well maybe the gunshots and some stuff...but no biggie...
Old 02-21-04, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Nah...well maybe the gunshots and some stuff...but no biggie...
If they did that, everything else would stand out like a sore thumb. Every sound effect in these movies are tinny and sounds hollow. Even if they would replace every sound effect, and all the music, the speech would still stand out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.