Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyway to find out if a fullscreen movie is open matte?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

There's a few movies I would like to own on DVD which are not available in widescreen. (For instance, "The Jerk.") Since these are titles I've waited for since DVD was first introduced, I'm considering breaking down and finally buying them if they are open-matte rather than pan & scan (the lesser of two evils). Does anyone know a way to research a fullscreen movie to see if its actually open matte?

I know IMDB has information about aspect ratios, but I'm not sure how reliable it is. For instance, Evil Dead II is available in various video incarnations as widescreen or fullscreen. Owning both, I know the fullscreen version is actually open-matte. According to IMDB, it is pan & scan - but this is incorrect.

Anyone out there have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like this info too - movies like Karate Kid, etc. are full frame, but I see discussions on whether or not it is pan/scan or open matte.

I think The Sting and Chariots of Fire are pan/scan, but there's two more I don't really know.

So make that two people who'd like a place to get a definitive answer on this question for a lot of movies!
Old 02-16-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you notice consiterable space above and below the picture frame, then its open matte. if everything looks cramped, then its probably pan and scan. its the same way with 2:35;1 aspect ratio as well.
Old 02-16-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

for instance
the sting, and most kubrick movies are open matte since there is alot of space above the image where the black bars would be.
however, carrie and american history x, even though the oar is 1:85, the full screen version is pan and scan.
Old 02-16-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think he's interested in a source which would provide the information WITHOUT having to actually view the film. Obviously you can tell by watching it whether it's p&s or not - just look for panning & scanning.
Old 02-16-04, 11:59 AM
Cool New Member

Location: a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much, the vast, vast majority of fullscreen versions of 1.85:1 films are open matte. If there's a movie I want and there's no other choice, open matte's fine for me. I love movies too much to say otherwise.

Be aware, however, that open matte films often contain sections that are pan & scanned. Special effects shots, animation and CGI are usually rendered for a 1.85:1 frame only. These shots have to be pan & scanned when converted to fullframe, even when the rest of the movie is open matte.

A very small minority of 2.35:1 films converted to fullscreen are also open matte. These are films shot with the Super-35 process. James Cameron uses this all the time (T2, True Lies), but it's not common.

In both cases, you have to know how the film was originally shot in order to know if it's open matte or not. No way around that.

Last edited by tripps; 02-16-04 at 12:13 PM.