DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Rabid Dogs...Is this the real thing? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/347424-rabid-dogs-real-thing.html)

svrasputin 02-15-04 09:08 PM

Rabid Dogs...Is this the real thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2305

TomOpus 02-15-04 09:20 PM

paging gutwrencher...

funstan 02-15-04 09:23 PM

Pretty sure it is a boot. It did not say anything about Lucertola, (hope I got that right) the production company of the DVD. I sold one a year ago for $100, so the price seems pretty cheap. I also to not remember the newspaper background on the bottom of the cover art.

cultshock 02-16-04 12:01 AM

Sure looks like a boot to me. Probably a DVDR too, with disclaimers like "this DVD might not be compatible with older DVD models" and "please make sure that your DVD player can support this format". And "belive it is from Video Oasis, a company now definct that duplicated many of its rare titles in the
FROM THE PUBLIC DOMAIN for promotion" is bullshit. There is no way that this title is public domain. I'm seriously kicking myself for not picking up the original DVD release when first offered, but I'd stay away from this auction.

sicklerice 02-16-04 08:17 AM

It's a bootlegged pirated version. They make a BS statement about public domain movies and incompatibility with new players.

Rabid Dogs was pressed and will play on anything. It was a very early member of my collection.

BTW, Rabid Dogs is one kick ass crime drama. If Bava hadn't died, I think he might have spawned one more subgenre.

markdclark43016 02-16-04 01:30 PM

Supposedly, Image is working on a reissue of this film under the title KIDNAPPED. Of course, Image is also supposedly working on a definitive version of KILL BABY KILL, and that one's about 2 years past due. So God knows when if ever we'll see KIDNAPPED (aka RABID DOGS).

Norm de Plume 02-16-04 10:31 PM

Originally posted by sicklerice
BTW, Rabid Dogs is one kick ass crime drama. If Bava hadn't died, I think he might have spawned one more subgenre.
Rabid Dogs is great, Bava's best film by far, I think.

The subgenre, which I would give the rubric "menacing passengers", exists, and has many entries.
Among them:
-The Hitcher (1986)
-Delusion (1990)
-Lisboa (1999)
-Deadly Strangers (1974)
-Kalifornia (1992)
-Hitch-hike (1977)
-Freeway (1996) ~ inversion of roles.
-The Hitch-hiker (1953) ~ probably the first of this type.
-The Incident (1967)
-American Perfekt (1997)
-The Pass (1998)

A different, but very similar cottage industry is "menacing mateys", involving castaways who are taken aboard a boat and who turn out to be dangerous (Dead Calm, Knife in the Water, The Crew (1994), Voyage (1993), etc.).

gutwrencher 02-17-04 12:17 AM

it's the most prized dvd/film in my collection. as stated prior...this one is a boot. the film will never exist in this original form again...ever. with Kidnapped....it will be a different film.

ahhh...I found it. I once asked Tim Lucas about a new dvd someday....

It's an unfounded rumor. RABID DOGS will never exist on DVD in that form again; I would recommend buying the next affordable copy you see on eBay. Alfredo Leone owns the film now, and he has re-edited it into a new version called KIDNAPPED. If there is a DVD release, that's the version we'll get.
*hugging my copy* :D

cultshock 02-17-04 01:02 AM

Originally posted by markdclark43016
. Of course, Image is also supposedly working on a definitive version of KILL BABY KILL, and that one's about 2 years past due.
Apparently there are problems related to film rights that may prevent Image from releasing such an edition of Kill Baby Kill. Too bad. :(

The Exister 02-17-04 08:16 AM

Originally posted by cultshock
Apparently there are problems related to film rights that may prevent Image from releasing such an edition of Kill Baby Kill. Too bad. :(
That IS too bad, because the current version from VCI looks like ass. Which is a shame, because it's one of his best films, IMO.

Mr. Foo 02-18-04 05:48 PM

Question for anyone who bought their legit copy of Rabid Dogs new:

Did it come with an chapter card/insert?

I stumbled on a used copy a few weeks ago and was wondering. I personally don't care if DVD's come with inserts, but with rare stuff like this it might make a difference to a more anal collector if/when I decide to move it.

I know that there is a separate thread for a question like this but since this is such an obscure title I thought it would be better to ask here. Thanks.