DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only) Part 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/345825-more-star-wars-news-4-disk-set-se-only-part-2-a.html)

Static Cling 02-06-04 11:05 PM

More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only) Part 2

Here's the original.

RocShemp 02-06-04 11:10 PM

So the official announcement is three days away. What do you guys think it'll be? Four disc a'la Indy Trilogy or a six disc set in keeping with the PT release format?

Wannabe 02-06-04 11:14 PM

I'll ask again: If you knew that an exhaustive 12 disc set of all six Star Wars movies will be released in Spring of 2006, would you still buy the rumored 4 disc set in 2004?

milo bloom 02-06-04 11:16 PM

I'm dying for a SW fix on DVD, so yeah, even though they'll be the SEs.

Fed-Ex Pope 02-06-04 11:27 PM

I'll buy the SEs, provided they are the ones from the theaters a few years ago.I only saw each of them once, and they were pretty good from what I remember, with the one exception being that Jaba/Han Solo scene, which just looked bad.

Die hards might scoff, but if not for internet boards like this, I seriously doubt I would have remember Han shot first, and that Luke didn't yell at the end of Empire, so unless the rumors are true that major edits (luke super-imposing Hayden's face on Vader, a CGI fight with Vader and Obi-Wan, and making all stormtroopers look like Jango Fett are just that--rumors--I'll gladly buy the set. Of course I believe that the option to see the original cuts should be included, like E.T., but it doesn't sound like that will happen.

Satoshi 02-06-04 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Wannabe
I'll ask again: If you knew that an exhaustive 12 disc set of all six Star Wars movies will be released in Spring of 2006, would you still buy the rumored 4 disc set in 2004?
Yes, I would. And I'd also buy Episode III when it comes out in November 2005 because I'm an impatient bloke.

RocShemp 02-06-04 11:31 PM

I'd have to know more about either release before I'd make up my mind. But my gut instinct is to wait.

Kal-El 02-06-04 11:36 PM

Without a doubt.

Jackskeleton 02-06-04 11:46 PM

same here. I've bought every VHS and LD set released simply because... I'm a star wars dork. :p

DavidH 02-06-04 11:47 PM

I have no problem double dipping on Star Wars.

Masamune 02-06-04 11:54 PM

Sorta disapointed that it seems like it will be the SE version.

I'd prefer they fix it up like making Greedo shoot first, ditch the crappy voice overs, and fix up the saber effects for EP4.

Redo the Jabba scene from EP4 too. He looks blue...and well...NOT Jabba at all.

Mithrandir 02-07-04 12:25 AM

I own the original trilogy on DVD already (pre-SE, widescreen). I will not buy any other version of the OT on DVD, and I haven't bought AOTC (the worst SW movie IMO). I won't purchase Ep 3 either if it's as bad as I'm expecting.

Feathers McGraw 02-07-04 01:09 AM

AOTC is *way* better than Phantom Menace, I just don't understand the vitriol towards it. Menace, now that's understandable.

The only way I'll pick up the SE's is if they restore the major plot and character changes they took out/put in for the SE's.

Updating the special effects etc, almost nobody minds that, because fundamentally, it's the same film.

I'll be patiently awaiting the discussions here once they're released.

El-Kabong 02-07-04 03:23 AM

Yup - I'd do so in a heartbeat. I have no problem upgrading these movies. I've done so many times in the past (VHS->LD->LD Special Edition) so one more box on the shelf wont bother me that much.

Joseph B 02-07-04 04:16 AM

What do you guys think it'll be? Four disc a'la Indy Trilogy or a six disc set in keeping with the PT release format?
I'm hoping (mebbe' dreaming) that the included discs will be DVD-18's with the original theatrical releases on one side, and slightly upgraded '97 SE's on the other.

If you knew that an exhaustive 12 disc set of all six Star Wars movies will be released in Spring of 2006, would you still buy the rumored 4 disc set in 2004?
Personally, I believe that with the release of the OT this year (in whatever form), that that means it will now be 2007 before we see the "mega-box" set. And just by incredible happenstance, 2007 is the 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars movie!

But to answer the question, I'll most likely purchase every release of Star Wars on DVD and/or HD-DVD that Lucas chooses to give us.

QuiGonJosh 02-07-04 07:34 AM

I have 5 SW VHS releases...so of course I'm getting this! I'm thinking its gonna be a 6-7 disc set...which would kick ass!

garolo 02-07-04 07:44 AM

Only if it has an insert. :D

As others have said, in a heartbeat. I will probably not preorder it though because it will, no doubt, be sold as a loss leader somewhere.

QuiGonJosh 02-07-04 08:02 AM

Oh yeah...I'll buy any and every version of Star Wars! Need em all! MUST HAVE SW!!!

TomOpus 02-07-04 08:10 AM

Count me in as buying SW on initial release.

I don't care if the first release is barebones, second release adds a few extras w/4th disc and then a third release in an Ultimate Boxset.

That being said, I hope George isn't reading this :D

Playitagainsam 02-07-04 09:05 AM

*shrug*

Kal-El 02-07-04 09:43 AM

When/where did we hear that the official announcement is mere days away?

jough 02-07-04 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
http://dvdfile.com/software/dvd-vide...004/02_05.html

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#0205

Wannabe 02-07-04 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
From theforce.net:

Classic Trilogy DVD Announcement Close
Thu, Feb 05, 04 04:44:26 PM EST

We've received information from a reliable source that an official announcement regarding the much rumored Trilogy DVD is expected soon. Our source says next Tuesday (2/10) will bring official word that the Special Edition versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi will be released in a four disk set on September 21 of this year. No mention was made of additional footage, or the contents of the fourth disk, but more information will likely be known next week.

Andador 02-07-04 10:35 AM

Yes, IŽll buy this year's release.(the version they put out does not concern me, I want Star Wars on DVD, not excuses!)

Yes, I'll buy next year's Episode III release.

Yes, I'll buy 2007's 30th Anniversary Archival Edition release.

Yes, I really like these movies.

Panda Phil 02-07-04 03:37 PM

I'll probably just wait for the future Super Deluxe edition. I've seen all three films enough times over the years that I'm really not that hyped about watching them again. At this point I'm more interested in things like commentaries and making of... stuff.

madcougar 02-07-04 03:43 PM

I've upgraded several times already. I have widescreen versions of the SE from 97. At this point I could wait many years to upgrade again. The only thing I would consider buying is a set that included the original trilogy.

The only way I would buy a new set is if they included AMAZING extras.

Orlando 02-07-04 03:52 PM

I'll buy them all as well. The only thing that I missed from the original three is the song change in ROTJ.

TLamm 02-07-04 04:26 PM

I'll also be buying them.. I'll buy them again when Super DVD comes out, and once again when Super Duper DVD comes out and when each platform has a new special extra fancy version. They will all look great on my shelf, next to my multiple Beta, VHS, and Laser Disk versions..

Eplicon 02-07-04 06:11 PM

I'll buy whatever Lucas wants to sell us. Like so many people who originally signed that petition in 1999 asking for the Star Wars films to be released on DVD, I said I was more than willing to buy both a "no-thrills" version first, and then a more substantial version later.

I'm sure Lucas is taking our word for that.

digitalfreaknyc 02-07-04 08:30 PM

Originally posted by TLamm
I'll also be buying them.. I'll buy them again when Super DVD comes out, and once again when Super Duper DVD comes out and when each platform has a new special extra fancy version. They will all look great on my shelf, next to my multiple Beta, VHS, and Laser Disk versions..
Super Duper DVD?

I thought it's technical name was going to be "Triple Dog Dare DVD."

U sure bout that?

;)

mdc3000 02-08-04 07:34 AM

Must have STAR WARS now!!! Hell yeah I'll buy this... I'm like the others here, I just need star wars... if they want to do a few double dips, I'm there as well. We're all a marketing person's wet dream... oh well... give me star wars!

MATT

MrJinx 02-08-04 12:28 PM

If they do with the OT SE what they did with the Indy trilogy then I'll buy the package. I'm happy about the Indy package that I bought... very well restored films and fun behind the scenes documentary on the 4th disc. Add to that commentaries on all three films and I'm happy.
Unless Episode 3 put things right I'm not even that sure I want the new trilogy to be part of my collection anyways...

jough 02-08-04 12:57 PM

Oh, man, YES - COMMENTARY by Lucas and crew would be great on these. I've really enjoyed the commentary tracks on Eps. 1 & 2.

"Oh, and here's where I started to ruin Star Wars. I remember sitting in my beach house thinking 'If Greedo shot first, that would really make the scene incomprehensible, and flatten-out Solo's character arc - he'd just go from hero to hero!' and that's why Greedo shoots first. He was actually meant to always shoot first, but we didn't have the technology back then. Why does he shoot first and miss? You know, because I hate Harrison and I really wanted his already thankless character to have even less to do - we just got him suited up and told him to go from point A to point A. Ha ha!"

Wannabe 02-08-04 01:23 PM

HERE'S A PHONY REVIEW OF THE STAR WARS BONUS DISC THAT I HOBBLED TOGETHER FROM A THE DIGITALBITS.COM REVIEW OF INDIAN JONES:

Star War Original Trilogy Bonus Material

All of the extras in this box set are found on the fourth disc. Unfortunately, Lucas nixed the idea of including such things as deleted scenes on this set.. So what does that leave extras-wise? Well... you get a documentary, four featurettes, trailers for all three films and a DVD-ROM weblink.

The Making of a Trilogy runs over two hours in length It's been culled together from hundreds of hours of never-before-seen film and video material found in the Lucasfilm archives. You'll see George screwing around on the set with Hamill, Ford, and Fisher. You'll even get a look at production artwork and a bit of deleted material. There's just a lot of fun on set footage that you've never seen before, married with great stories and recollections from the cast and crew.

The documentary is presented chronologically, and is broken into three sections - one for each film. You can elect to view these separately, or all together. The sum is similar in quality, if not in style, to the documentary on the Episode I DVD. It's well worth at least one, and probably multiple, viewings.

In addition to this main documentary, there are also four separate featurettes. While The Making of a Trilogy looks at the on-set goings-on, these separate pieces highlight other, specific aspects of the production and post-production, including the stunt work, the sound design, the music and the special effects. The best of these is The Music of Star Wars, which will give you a taste of how John Williams approached the score for these films. You'll learn how he labored over the Star Wars theme, you'll see him directing his orchestra on the scoring stage and much more. This is all good stuff. Each of these separate featurettes are worth your time as well.

The trailers on this DVD are, thankfully, all presented in anamorphic widescreen. These are vintage trailers for all three films, a couple of which haven't been seen in years. Rounding out the extras are a few pages of DVD credits, and a DVD-ROM weblink that will allow you to access an exclusive page at the Star Wars website. Word is, this will be the first place you'll learn about what's happening with Episode III, which is currently in post-production.

Cartload 02-08-04 01:47 PM

Excellent post Wannabe, but you forgot to replace "The Music of Indiana Jones" with "The Music of Star Wars."

Wannabe 02-08-04 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Cartload
Excellent post Wannabe, but you forgot to replace "The Music of Indiana Jones" with "The Music of Star Wars."
Done.

digitalfreaknyc 02-08-04 02:03 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what's the point of a post such as the one above.

The Indiana Jones box set is CERTAINLY not the best way to present a trilogy of films as lusted after as that or Star Wars.

Come back when you replace the Alien Quadrilogy specs with Star Wars specs. ;)

Aside from the presentation of the films, the IJ box set was one huge disappointment.

Wannabe 02-08-04 02:25 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Excuse my ignorance but what's the point of a post such as the one above.

The Indiana Jones box set is CERTAINLY not the best way to present a trilogy of films as lusted after as that or Star Wars.

Come back when you replace the Alien Quadrilogy specs with Star Wars specs. ;)

Aside from the presentation of the films, the IJ box set was one huge disappointment.

The point is that you'll get an Indy-like box and that will be sad. It's not my fantasy wish list...it's just my prediction of another mediocre treatment of these films by George Lucas. He'll sell you this now, and in two or three more years he'll sell you something more exhaustive, but not definitive. The definitive release will happen when he revamps all the films for the HD-DVD release in 2010.

QuiGonJosh 02-08-04 03:25 PM

How is the Indy Trilogy Boxset a disappointment? All 3 films beautifully remastered and restored with wonderful picture and sound...3 hours of doc's on the Trilogy...teasers...trailers...helluva nice lookin box...it doesnt really compare to the Alien Quadrilogy...but so what...its still a magnificant set!

DavidH 02-08-04 03:28 PM

How is the Indy Trilogy Boxset a disappointment? All 3 films beautifully remastered and restored with wonderful picture and sound...3 hours of doc's on the Trilogy...teasers...trailers...helluva nice lookin box...it doesnt really compare to the Alien Quadrilogy...but so what...its still a magnificant set!
I agree. Just because a set doesn't have 20 hours of extras doesn't mean it's a disappointment.