DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What other films are in the Columbia Classics series? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/345692-what-other-films-columbia-classics-series.html)

joliom 02-06-04 11:44 AM

What other films are in the Columbia Classics series?

I'm interested in the Columbia Classics series, a nice collection devoted to classic Hollywood movies similiar to Fox's Studio Classics collection. I'm curious to know what other films there are in this series. The ones I've seen are:

• Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
• It Happened One Night
• His Girl Friday
• Mr. Deeds Comes to Town

Anyone know of any others?

J.P.V. 02-06-04 11:52 AM

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...umbia+classics

gcbma 02-06-04 12:11 PM

Re: What other films are in the Columbia Classics series?

Originally posted by joliom

• Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
• It Happened One Night
• His Girl Friday
• Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Good taste. Those are exactly the four Columbia Classics that I own.

I'm looking to get "Bell Book and Candle" and "Only Angels Have Wings" eventually; the prices for the DVDs in this series are a bit expensive ($25) for me, and I usually hold off until I find them in the $15 range.

Johnny Zhivago 02-06-04 12:23 PM

J.P.V. has your answer...

But I'll throw out a plug for <i>Anatomy of a Murder</i>. Excellent film...

gcbma 02-06-04 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
But I'll throw out a plug for <i>Anatomy of a Murder</i>. Excellent film...
After looking at the list at the link above, I might consider picking up a couple more, "Born Yesterday" and the one you suggested, as blind buys if I ever see them at my targeted price.

bga 02-06-04 01:11 PM

Originally posted by gcbma
Good taste. Those are exactly the four Columbia Classics that I own.

I'm looking to get "Bell Book and Candle" and "Only Angels Have Wings" eventually; the prices for the DVDs in this series are a bit expensive ($25) for me, and I usually hold off until I find them in the $15 range.

I got these through Columbia House DVD club for an average price less than $8.

ToddSm66 02-06-04 01:53 PM

I'll second Anatomy of a Murder - and add The Lady From Shanghai, Lost Horizon, The Last Hurrah, and The Caine Mutiny as must-buys as well.

EPKJ 02-06-04 02:14 PM

Damn The Defiant and Bell, Book And Candle are the only two Columbia Classics in my collection.

bigE 02-06-04 03:56 PM

Sahara is one as well. I thought The Big Heat was, but I just checked & it isn't. Had quite a few of these but some didn't hold up well over time IMHO & I found out I not a big fan of Frank Capra. It's not intended as a criticism, just my personal preference that's all.
(Anatomy of a Murder, Caine Mutiny, Gilda, Lady from Shanghai, Only Angels have Wings, Sahara, Suddenly Last Summer, Taming of the Shrew for me)

greatjedi 02-06-04 03:57 PM

Great thread. I was wondering which titles are in this series as well. I had no idea there were so many.
I only have 3:
Mr. Deeds Goes to town
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Lost Horizon (which is excellent)

NEUMANN 02-06-04 04:14 PM

Great movies,but it would seem they are in need of a price drop before i start getting them

TheKing 02-06-04 04:41 PM

Picnic is part of the Columbia Classics line.

Laser Movies 02-06-04 04:46 PM

Originally posted by NEUMANN
Great movies,but it would seem they are in need of a price drop before i start getting them
As someone else previously mentioned in this thread, many of these are available through Columbia House for less than $8 each.

Here is the list that I currently own.

All the King's Men
Anatomy of a Murder
Bell, Book and Candle
Born Yesterday
Caine Mutiny
Gilda
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
It Happened One Night
Lady from Shanghai
Last Hurrah
Lost Horizon
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Only Angels Have Wings
Pal Joey
Picnic

J.P.V. 02-06-04 07:08 PM

Originally posted by bigE
Sahara is one as well. I thought The Big Heat was, but I just checked & it isn't. Had quite a few of these but some didn't hold up well over time IMHO & I found out I not a big fan of Frank Capra. It's not intended as a criticism, just my personal preference that's all.
(Anatomy of a Murder, Caine Mutiny, Gilda, Lady from Shanghai, Only Angels have Wings, Sahara, Suddenly Last Summer, Taming of the Shrew for me)

Thanks for the Sahara info, just added it to DVDAF's database. :)

Are there anymore titles with the Columbia Classics banner?

joliom 02-07-04 12:43 AM

Re: Re: What other films are in the Columbia Classics series?

Originally posted by gcbma
the prices for the DVDs in this series are a bit expensive ($25) for me, and I usually hold off until I find them in the $15 range.
I agree. They're usually around $20 at DDD and other online places. The Fox Studio Classics average $5-10 cheaper by comparison. Like you, I wait till I can find them around $15 or so by buying used or waiting for a sale or coupon to roll around. I may have to finally get into the Columbia House system, since my money has been getting tighter lately. I never bothered with CH before since I was too impatient to go through the hassle and didn't like having to wait several months to get new releases. But $8 apiece is awfully hard to argue with.

LasVegasMichael 02-07-04 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: What other films are in the Columbia Classics series?

Originally posted by joliom
...I was too impatient to go through the hassle and didn't like having to wait several months to get new releases.
I received Lost in Translation yesterday. Only a few days after the street date, not "several months"

Keep in mind that only the Enrollment excludes NR. The fullfillments however, include pre-orders for the club minimum. The under $8 a pop total is for 6 enrollments and 2 fullfilllments.

That is how I got LIT for under $8.