DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Yee Haw!!! I finally got an all-region DVD player! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/345679-yee-haw-i-finally-got-all-region-dvd-player.html)

slop101 02-06-04 10:39 AM

Yee Haw!!! I finally got an all-region DVD player!

It's a good prog-scan JVC model that plays dvds from every region and does PAL to NTSC conversion.

Now I can watch any movie in any format from around the world - and since I'm mostly into foreign cinema, I'm stoked!!!

These are the region 2 discs that I got to start myself out:

- M - special edition (the Euro version kills the Criterion version)

- The Gospel According to St. Matthew

- The African Queen

- Matter of Life & Death

- City of God

- Ocean Colour Scene (my fav. band's dvd - only available in R2)

- Futurama seasons 3 & 4

the crazy thing is that the Futurama sets are cheaper as imports than they are if I bought them at, say, Best Buy.

For example:
Futurama S-3, R1 at Amazon = $35. Futurama S-3, R2 at AmazonUK = 18lb.= $26 . Not to mention, I can get it now, instead of waiting.

Tarantino 02-06-04 10:49 AM

Welcome to the club.

chesola 02-06-04 10:58 AM

Congratulations. Being region free certainly opens lots of doors, especially if you're into foreign films.

jayson1017 02-06-04 11:00 AM

How much did you pay for the Region-free player? And where did you get it from?

Iron_Giant 02-06-04 11:09 AM

What is you JVC model?

I have a JVC RXDV3SL that I found out is region free 6 months after I bought it.

slop101 02-06-04 11:24 AM

I got the JVC XV-SA602 (from HKflix - I used the dvdtalk link - $199) - not bad for an all-region prog-scan with a dts decoder.

Darryl 02-06-04 11:28 AM

Recently I've been averaging 3 import discs to every 1 domestic DVD.

slop101 02-06-04 11:39 AM

I can't wait to get the (unedited) Asian cut of Kill Bill.

(what would be a good site to get that from, anyways?)

Yakuza Bengoshi 02-06-04 11:40 AM

Congrats! The world is now yours.

If you're not already doing so, you'll definitely want to bookmark the DVD comparison sites
DVDCompare.net and
DVDBeaver.com.

I find them to be invaluable aids in selecting DVDs. Of course, you'll also want to spend a lot more time in the international forum as well.

slop101 02-06-04 12:15 PM

Yes, the Beaver site is what kind of pushed me over the edge.

speedy1961 02-06-04 12:17 PM

You'll be hanging out in the International Forum quite a lot. Congrats on new player.

fnordboy 02-06-04 12:36 PM

Originally posted by slop101
I got the JVC XV-SA602 (from HKflix - I used the dvdtalk link - $199) - not bad for an all-region prog-scan with a dts decoder.
:up: great choice in players. I hav had the 602 since it came out and have never had a problem with it. Has played everything I have thrown at it :)

Welcome to the world of being broke ;)

Rypro 525 02-06-04 12:43 PM

wouldn't get it from hkflix mainly because di$ney will make it illegal for any usa based retailers to sell items from other regions.

MovieGuy26 02-06-04 12:50 PM

will they even release the UNEDITED cut here in the states? I freaking hope so or i'll be buying a region-free player soon enough.

MG26

slop101 02-06-04 01:07 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy

Welcome to the world of being broke ;)

Or working so much that I won't have time enough to watch everything I'll buy.

(I also just pre-ordered the Italian 2-disc version of La Dolce Vita)

pro-bassoonist 02-06-04 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Darryl
Recently I've been averaging 3 import discs to every 1 domestic DVD.
my ratio has been 5-1 European films-American films.

n0fear88 02-06-04 01:59 PM

ive got a Daewoo 9000S5

maybe cheap, but it looks good and plays any region i want :D

was a brilliant bday/xmas gift from my 2 best friends lol *thanx*

Sessa17 02-06-04 02:24 PM

I'm about to finally break down & go all region. The good side of me really still doesn't want to, but the devil compulsive buyer side is over powering.

But this is something I still don't understand about the non-region DVD player. Why would someone spend $200 for a DVD that plays any region when it seems like the Phillips 727 over at Amazon.com does it just fine for only $70. Is there something wrong with the Phillips that I don't know about? b/c that is certainly the one I'm looking at to buy.

gutwrencher 02-06-04 02:36 PM

Re: Yee Haw!!! I finally got an all-region DVD player!

- M - special edition (the Euro version kills the Criterion version)

great choice. I'm getting this myself.:thumbsup:

congrats and have fun walking through all those new doors to freedom! I just bought my first 2 Malata players a few months back...best choice I ever made. I bought the back-up Malata when the "special" offer was going on....$169. now that the model has been dis-continued, I see some of the last left are going for $299 and the black models are $349!!. I just about missed out. I also have a cyberslop 500...for the kiddies. I'm adding a JVC later on in the spring. I can never have enough dvd decks.

El-Kabong 02-06-04 02:40 PM

Originally posted by chesola
Being region free certainly opens lots of doors, especially if you're into foreign films.
And american films/TV shows too! The 6 Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, He-Man, Wonder Woman and the Hulk Hogan masterpiece Santa With Muscles - all not available in the US and all part of my DVD collection.

marty888 02-06-04 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17

But this is something I still don't understand about the non-region DVD player. Why would someone spend $200 for a DVD that plays any region when it seems like the Pioneer727 over at Amazon.com does it just fine for only $70. Is there something wrong with the Pioneer that I don't know about? b/c that is certainly the one I'm looking at to buy.

Are you referring to the Philips 727? That's the one I bought from Amazon about four months ago, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. If you check in the International forum, you' find a few threads that provide info on the machine.

Here's one thread to get you started...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=316570

Sessa17 02-06-04 02:45 PM

Originally posted by marty888
Are you referring to the Philips 727? That's the one I bought from Amazon about four months ago, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. If you check in the International forum, you' find a few threads that provide info on the machine.
Yeah, I'm an idiot, I just edited it to Phillips. I saw the threads there, but I still haven't seen any explanation to why people are spending $200 + dollars constantly, just so they can play any region DVDs, when it seems like the Phillips 727 does is for $70 dollars. I just don't get what the difference is. Especially for those that I think are like me, where they already have 1 top of the line DVD player as their main player, but just want another one to play all region DVDs.

Also, what does "Insufficient information" mean on the Phillips 727.

Giles 02-06-04 02:46 PM

now you can buy "Ed Wood" from Region 2 - :D

Yakuza Bengoshi 02-06-04 02:54 PM

Sessa17, I've got a Malata 520, and one of the features I've come to rely on most frequently is the X-Y scaling which allows me to adjust the aspect ratio, picture size, and position of the image practically down to the pixel. I rely on it most frequently when watching letterboxed subtitled films on my widescreen television because it allows me to fine tune the image size and location such that the subtitles are fully visable but there's no wasted space. This feature alone is worth the extra $$$ to me.

Moefuscious 02-06-04 02:56 PM

Apparently on the Philips 727 whenever you play a dvd that features a multi-angle option, that multi-angle icon stays on the screen all the time during the movie. Don't know how distracting it is.... maybe someone here can give you a more in depth description.